U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2010, 03:58 PM

2 posts, read 4,002 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

I am a 22 year old guy who will be traveling alone to New Orleans in a few weeks (don't know when yet). I have always wanted to see the city. I'm looking for suggestions on what I should do when I get down there (i.e. things I should see or do). I'm not really a party type of guy, but I am very interested in history and culture (I majored in history in college), and I know New Orleans has plenty of it. I also like outdoors things. I'm a very "off the beaten path" and adventurous type of guy. I do like to see tourist things, but also lots of non-touristy attractions. Here's a few questions that I'd like to get answered:

1. I'm really interested in taking one of the swamp tours. Which tour is the best (experience and money wise)?

2. What neighborhoods in specific should I avoid (crime)?

3. Are there any riverboat cruises?

4. Any other suggestions for sight-seeing, etc.? Of course I want to see the French Quarter, Jackson Square, St. Louis Cathedral, and St. Charles Avenue/streetcars.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2010, 11:12 PM

16,492 posts, read 31,410,828 times
Will you have a car? Jean Lafitte Nat'l Park is across the river and has free swamp tours with park rangers. it's very interesting, both swampy and grassy trails.

There used to be a riverboat cruise (leaving from the foot of Canal St) to the Chalmette Battlefield. You have a time table for the return trip and can spend as much time there as you want. There also used to be a boat up to Audubon Park. After seeing the zoo and walking through the park, you can take the street car back downtown.

Have some coffee and beignets at Jackson Square.

Old 06-14-2010, 03:28 PM

2 posts, read 4,002 times
Thanks SouthernBelleInUtah,

Yes, I will have my car. Those suggestions definitely interest me and I'll put them down on my to do list.

Old 06-14-2010, 06:27 PM

3,035 posts, read 3,686,476 times
We did the Honey Island Swamp tour. It was fine, but I think the aim was to see 'gators in their natural habitat. We didn't see any (wrong time of year possibly) but the boat driver brought along a baby one..a bit forced perhaps. But it is a great way to get a look at the swamplands, and to get a glimpse of how people live in that area. We enjoyed it, would recommend it for that. You may even see a few 'gators when you're there.

Definitely stop in at the Cabildo (museum) on Jackson Sq. It's part of the Louisiana Museum. They always have some great exhibits, and if you're a history buff, the permanent collections are really worth a look. You could easily spend at least half a day there. Louisiana State Museum

The best way to see the FQ is to simply stroll around, there is so much history in the buildings that are utilized for everyday purposes. If you find yourself in an old bar or store, have a chat to the staff or regulars about its' history. New Orleanians are very friendly, and happy to chat!

There are also many walking tours available; I'm not a walking tour type so cant tell you which ones are worthwhile. I'd recommend a carriage ride when you first arrive..yes, it's very touristy but you get your bearings. You also get information, but be aware the driver may (or may not) embellish the facts somewhat. This possibly also applies to the walking tour guides.

I think you should take a walk down Bourbon St, but the only real venue of possible interest there is Fritzls Jazz Club. It's a cosy little place, groaning with musical history, and a good spot to hear traditional jazz. If it's your cup of tea, Preservation Hall is another jazz spot with a lot of history.

New Orleans is a wonderful biking city. Hire a bike and have a look around the Garden District, or bike around City Park. Just be aware the roads, while nice and flat, are a little...under-maintained.
If the heat is a bit off-putting for biking, it's pretty cheap to hire scooters as well. We rode around the Ponchatrain a little bit, but there's a lot of roadworks (!) around the foreshore, so it's hard to see a whole lot. That may have changed though.

As with any town, have your wits about you and stay alert, but don't be paranoid. Don't walk alone too much outside heavy foot-traffic areas late at night. Cabs are plentiful at that time, so don't feel you can't go out at night. The city is especially magical after the sun goes down.

Have a great time in my favorite town!

EDIT: Cemeteries! How could I forget them?? You HAVE to see at least one during your stay. There are tours, or hire that scooter and explore at your leisure.
http://www.experienceneworleans.com/deadcity.html

Last edited by jacq63; 06-14-2010 at 06:37 PM..

Old 06-14-2010, 07:35 PM

3,743 posts, read 3,128,373 times
See the WWII museum. It is great.

Old 06-14-2010, 07:49 PM

3,035 posts, read 3,686,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hey teach View Post
I'll second that, and there's also the Civil War Museum, across the road. (Also known as the Confederate Museum).

Old 06-15-2010, 11:20 AM

12 posts, read 21,536 times
I would venture into the Ninth Ward or New Orleans East if you want to see some of the effects of Katrina and what the city is like outside of the tourist areas. Probably only during the day, though, if you're worried about crime.

Old 06-18-2010, 03:27 PM

825 posts, read 884,533 times
Eat at the good restaurants(there are about 800), see some live music (wwoz.org has a local music calender), take the streetcar uptown and walk though the garden district, walk the Quarter(so many things to see day and night), hit Frenchman St. (late night hot spot), oh and don't forget the food.

Old 06-19-2010, 01:45 PM

37 posts, read 75,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hey teach View Post
Definitely.

Make sure you set aside a couple of hours if you do go because there's a lot to see.

Old 06-19-2010, 01:46 PM

37 posts, read 75,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by musicmagus View Post
I would venture into the Ninth Ward or New Orleans East if you want to see some of the effects of Katrina and what the city is like outside of the tourist areas. Probably only during the day, though, if you're worried about crime.
Why would she need to do that?

If you go right outside the French quarter into the Marigny that's all the authentic New Orleans you need to see. Sending her across the city is unnecessary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans