Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-21-2010, 07:10 PM

19 posts, read 79,705 times

Advertisements

I am looking for a mid-priced, no more than $125 a night, hotel in the FQ for a romantic weekend getaway in July. Would prefer someplace with a pool, since it will be ungodly hot, but not a requirement. Also someplace within easy walking distance to exciting parts of the Q (not sure if one end, or part is better than another). Any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2010, 07:34 PM

4,885 posts, read 7,253,541 times
I would try priceline or travelocity. You should be able to get a good room for a decent price this time of year. There are many great and good hotels in the French Quarter, depending on what you want to see or do, if you are bringing children or not. The Ramada "Inn on Bourbon" is right in the heart on Bourbon Street. IOB is reasonably priced. There are two Marriot's and a Sheraton on Canal. These are on one end of the Quarter, you will have to walk alot from them, but they are in a good, safe area. check out NOLA.com for some other ideas.

Old 07-01-2010, 02:28 PM

268 posts, read 741,271 times
If money is no object, you have lots of choices.
OOps I saw your budget. But look here anyway.
Naturally the Royal Sonesta on Bourbon is aces.
The Fairmont is as old school elegant as they get.
Apparently now named the Roosevelt, one of it's original names. Hmm.
But for maybe double your budget, give this a try:
The Cornstalk, An Exclusive Hotel for your Special Event
PS, ask about the slave quarters around back near the garage.
It was a dump when I stayed in it, but it was cheap and I DID
stay "at the hotel". That was 1981, though, maybe not even there
today. The hotel itself is not a dump. But if you check out the
photo gallery, it MIGHT be worth the double cost. It also is IN the
quarter. In fact it is something walker's by ooh and ahh at.

Last edited by BradfromNO; 07-01-2010 at 02:49 PM..

Old 07-03-2010, 05:38 PM

A POOL? While in NO? I hate the heat as much as the next guy, but the pool is the last place I'd
be spending time while in NO. Dress in light airy clothes and duck into one bar/cafe after another.
As far as ends of the Quarter, the upriver end is the most 'exciting', and by that I mean least dark.
Who knows what is going on in the dark, lol. But the Esplanade end of the Quarter has a few really
cool spots. Port of Call, Dragon's Den (I think it's still there), but the dead center of the quarter is
the most partyish. To me daytime is best if you are not there solely to drink. Stores, art, people,
beignets, the Cathedral, the river. At night it's partying and music. Mostly have FUN!

Old 07-03-2010, 05:53 PM

310 posts, read 851,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradfromNO View Post
A POOL? While in NO? I hate the heat as much as the next guy, but the pool is the last place I'd
be spending time while in NO. Dress in light airy clothes and duck into one bar/cafe after another.

I can never seem to get this across to people in any of the forums I chat on and/or moderate. I applaud you, sir. Expecting an outdoor pool to cool you down in the middle of a New Orleans summer is like expecting 2 logs and a match to keep you warm for more than 5 minutes in the middle of the Arctic! LOL!

I shouldn't make fun... I would've once thought otherwise myself but, nobody believes me until they get here. All I'm saying is don't book a place for the pool - that's the LAST thing you need.

Old 07-05-2010, 06:56 AM

Hehehe, I laughed too, obviously, but the more I thought about it,
I pictured a morning swim, fine. And then I pictured coming in from a
hard night of partying and taking a nice dip before bed. But then I
remembered that nearly every pool has a time limit, and getting home
at 1-2 am would be WELL past pool hours. Some of these places have
rooftop pools, though and maybe that is not a noise issue. But I think
that even then they restrict use. Pools by the beach used to confuse me
too but as I got older I saw the wisdom. Nothing wrong with wanting a
pool at your hotel, but I doubt it would get the use you might imagine.
Why read your paper by the pool when there is cafe du monde?

And Pook, I stole that duck into a cafe line from you I think. HAHA

Old 07-05-2010, 08:23 AM

310 posts, read 851,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradfromNO View Post

And Pook, I stole that duck into a cafe line from you I think. HAHA
Nope definitely not from me! I don't give too much advice about the summer months because even I don't go outside much let alone to walk the Quarter in the heat - no way! Even "ducking into a cafe" if you're hot doesn't do much for me. Still icky from sweating buckets even if you're cooler . I was very very heat sick my entire first summer living here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans