Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-02-2010, 08:37 PM

11 posts, read 57,056 times

Advertisements

We've heard the 4th of July fireworks display is pretty awesome down at the Quarter.

We are just wondering where would be good places to park and how early we should get there. Is it pretty packed?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2010, 09:59 AM

310 posts, read 854,486 times
Essence festival is going on right now. People act like bigger fools than on Mardi Gras. If you can find another spot on the river (other than the Quarter) to catch a view of the fireworks, go for it. Here's some info with parking ideas on the page: Annual 4th of July celebration with fireworks on the Mississippi River of New Orleans La!

Essence concerts will be in full swing while the fireworks are going on so I don't think it'll be too bad. The quarter is going to fill up like a bowl when the last concert ends at 1 am. The crowd may also get significantly bigger when Mary J Blige finishes at 11.

The fireworks are amazing, no doubt. I just don't attend anymore because of the way people act there on this weekend. It's not your happy go lucky Mardi Gras behavior, but I'll let you judge for yourself. Have fun and be careful.

Old 07-04-2010, 09:37 AM

122 posts, read 360,253 times
I was down there just watching fireworks one year and didn't realize (forgot, i guess!?) that the essence festival was going on- it was crazy!!!!!!! People everyhwere!

I agree, very different vibe than happy, carefree, mardi gras. Mabye you can watch on the other side of the river?

Old 07-04-2010, 01:53 PM

1,350 posts, read 2,299,479 times
I watched it last yr from the Tulane University parking deck near Reily Center off of Claiborne.

Old 07-04-2010, 10:55 PM

307 posts, read 802,262 times
Me and Mrs. lmcintyre1s (Bgilly3) ended up going to the Quarter to see the fireworks tonight. We parked at the brewery and hung out right by the riverboat landing. Great view of a great fireworks show, and we couldn't have asked for better weather. As a bonus, the One Mind Brass Band was on the river walk while we were there. Very, very cool, and a first-time experience for a couple Midwesterners.

Old 07-05-2010, 06:51 AM

268 posts, read 743,773 times
Always nice to hear someone had a good time. That's the New Orleans tradition, word of mouth.
I think it has something to do with the economy, but last night in Memphis it was just fireworks
all night long. I expect the same tonight. I brought the dog inside, he was going nuts. But I
think it was the ultimate stay-cation and everyone spent any money they had saved for beach
trips on freaking fireworks. I don't mind the booms so much, or the shower of firecrackers by
the roll. I do not like the pop-pop-pop of automatic weapons fire that we get every single
year twice or three times a year, and I am sure it is the same in NO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans