U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 12-21-2010, 01:40 PM

145 posts, read 358,940 times

Advertisements

We just moved to the New Orleans area, and were seduced by rumors of being able to buy seafood "right off the boat". We live in Metairie & see seafood markets on almost every corner. Are these the types of places to get the freshest local catch, or is there an even better place for seafood straight from the sea?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2010, 02:15 PM

16,490 posts, read 31,389,235 times
It's a long drive, but you used to be able to drive down near the mouth of the river where the shrimpers, etc., dock. Not sure since Katrina. Plan on 1+ hr each way.

Old 12-21-2010, 03:37 PM

104 posts, read 297,906 times
the local dealers will be your best bet--they each usually have their own suppliers, so unless/until someone can chime in about one in the metairie area to recommend, your best bet would be just to try a few of them out and see who you like best. There was a shrimper who used to just drive our neighborhood with his truck full of ice chests and a scale--dems was some fresh shrimp, yesiree. doubt you'll see sth. like that in metairie, though.
when I was living in Cleveland, I used Sal's Riverside Seafood to order bags of fresh crawfish and was never disappointed. I think he is in Kenner (and there are several "Sal's" in the area who sell seafood).
Bucktown was also a traditional place for seafood--deanies, for example, but I don't know that they're any better than a good local supplier.

you will occasionally see people set up roadside stands, too (both for vegetables and seafood); they would be worth trying out, but basically I would say try to find a local place and then build a relationship with them--and they'll let you know what's fresh if they know you're a good loyal customer. Rouses supermarkets are pretty good too.

Old 12-21-2010, 04:49 PM

16,490 posts, read 31,389,235 times
There was a good one around Clearview and W. Esplanade, can't remember the name. On the Lake side of W. Esplanade and the Kenner side of the street, which was parallel to Clearview. I went there for years.

Old 12-21-2010, 05:57 PM

310 posts, read 487,384 times
If you want to travel over to Kenner, Fisherman's Cove on Williams Blvd has always been trusty for local crawfish and shrimp for us. Everything has always been fresh catch - their fish is excellent also - however, we haven't been there since the spill. Not sure if they're using other sources but I think they're honest enough to tell you the truth if you ask.

We've had luck with random shrimp trucks too. There was one that used to park at W. Esplanade and Clearview where the produce stand is, but I haven't seen him in awhile. The one we've used normally hangs out around Veterans and Power Blvd./David Dr. in the springtime.

Old 12-21-2010, 07:41 PM

67 posts, read 105,073 times
And there's the shrimp lot in Westwego on the Westbank Expressway.

Old 01-06-2011, 05:09 PM

145 posts, read 358,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pook77 View Post
If you want to travel over to Kenner, Fisherman's Cove on Williams Blvd has always been trusty for local crawfish and shrimp for us. Everything has always been fresh catch - their fish is excellent also - however, we haven't been there since the spill. Not sure if they're using other sources but I think they're honest enough to tell you the truth if you ask.

We've had luck with random shrimp trucks too. There was one that used to park at W. Esplanade and Clearview where the produce stand is, but I haven't seen him in awhile. The one we've used normally hangs out around Veterans and Power Blvd./David Dr. in the springtime.
I haven't purchased fresh from Fisherman's Cove, but eaten at the restaurant next door. Good stuff!

Old 01-11-2011, 12:28 AM

2,192 posts, read 3,748,247 times
I second the Westwego lot.

Also go to the Bonnable boat launch at Lake Ponchatrai. Should be a few shrimp boats docked there. Should also be a group of old men playing cards and drinking beer that own the boats. They will tell you when they go out and shrimp. Plus some of them crab during the summer months.

You're going to have a hard time finding fresh fish because with the limits they're allowed to catch most don't fish anymore.

You can head down to Yscloskey on Highway 46 south of St Bernard and find boats that sell to the public. Or you can go down Highway 1 heading to Grand Isle and find seafood supply houses.

Best thing to do is ask around with the people you meet. Most locals have friends or family members who sell fresh seafood.

All the local seafood markets sell fresh seafood. You will have to call around to find the type of seafood you want because not all sell the same thing.

Schaefer's in Bucktown sells fresh fish along with boiled seafood, sack oysters etc.

But as far as a good variety the Westwego lot will have more selections on crabs, fish, and shrimp. Try and get there early because you will get the larger seafood.

busta

Old 01-11-2011, 12:33 AM

2,192 posts, read 3,748,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
There was a good one around Clearview and W. Esplanade, can't remember the name. On the Lake side of W. Esplanade and the Kenner side of the street, which was parallel to Clearview. I went there for years.

Dennis Seafood Market, he's still there and always has large crayfish.

busta

Old 02-21-2011, 08:34 PM

1 posts, read 14,098 times
I am coming up from Lake City FL and heading through Louisiana then back to Missouri, where would be the best place for me to purchase fresh off the boat seafood at a reasonable price
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans