U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-17-2011, 01:15 PM

3 posts, read 5,286 times

Advertisements

Hello to all,

My family and I are moving from San Diego Ca to New Orleans and would like to find out the good, bad and ugly about the city. Is it a family friendly city? what are some of the nice areas to live in? How is the shopping and nightlife? what are some of the issues facing the residents? Is there alot to do?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2011, 02:00 PM

14,777 posts, read 21,477,414 times
Lots of good, equally on the bad. Its not the first choice for families unless you live outside of the city. There's alot to do, depends on your flavor of fun, and shopping is decent, not as good as SD but it should keep you happy.

Old 03-17-2011, 02:34 PM

1,087 posts, read 2,042,208 times
It is not family friendly, in that you will probably need to pay for school. There are some good public schools, but the competition is fierce. Private schools will run at least $400/month per child.

There are family friendly areas. Lakeview, Gentilly are pretty suburban, but safe and close to downtown. Broadmoor is also safe and is very close to Downtown and Uptown.

Uptown is very nice, older, more urban and more expensive. It has really safe areas, and some bad areas. Mid-City is also nice, older, more urban area that has more of a blue collar feel. It also has some safe areas.

Lots of stuff to do all year long. The nightlife is up there with cities that are 10 times larger.

There is some crime here, but the bad stuff is mostly concentrated in certain areas. Some parts of the city, have an issue with flooding. I'm not talking about Katrina or water in houses, but bad rainstorms leaving standing water in low lying streets and it flood cars. Sometimes the rain outpaces the pumps, and water starts to pool in the lowest spots.

Insurance is high. I pay ~$3700 annually on homeowners alone for a small duplex.

Old 03-17-2011, 07:16 PM

19,865 posts, read 59,863,512 times
Browse some of the many threads on these topics that others have asked and had answered.

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 03-17-2011, 08:14 PM

11 posts, read 26,882 times
we just moved from San diego 3 months ago. We have been liking it a lot although some said wait until may. San Diego has nice zoo, seaworld and legoland but with season pass we can only managed to go once a month. Here Disney world is drivable for summer vacation. Beach along Mississippi coast is newer and pretty descent , water is not as blue but warmer than Pacific Ocean on the west coast. We are also planning on take a historical tour around LA to check out some plantations, Cajun towns and indian sites. With lot of green around you can always do some outdoor activities with kids , like camping, hunting, hiking. Most of all, you can have big house with large backyard- all southern size!

When I asked my 6 yr old what is the most memorable place in SD, he said "Annabel's house"(his friend who lives in a 2500sqft house that her parents purchased 10 years ago before the boom). I feel like we have been depriving him for living in a small condo where kids are not even allowed to play in common area. So much for a piece of So Cal. Now we live in Slidell, a family oriented suburb with good schools (in some area). A house like this would have cost half million in San Diego plus $200 monthly HOA due and $2k Mello-roos semi annually.

weather hasn't been too bad(so far).I use a dehumidifier during the extra humid days. Humidity is better for skin than the dryness in san diego. If humidity is not hard to get used to, bugs are. I make sure everyone get bug spray every time we go outside.

Old 03-17-2011, 09:19 PM

3 posts, read 5,286 times
Default Thank you!!

Thank you to all who have replied to my questions, I have gotten alot of good advice from everyone, it's not easy up and moving from one area of the country to the other especially when you are military and a single parent My main concern would be if the city were family friendly since we are moving from SD!! SD is a great city for families it's just super expensive and I wanted to make sure my son would have things to do and places to go to keep him out of trouble!!!

Old 03-18-2011, 10:51 AM

14,777 posts, read 21,477,414 times
He will have plenty to do, but it's the Big Easy, trouble is in the water. Lol

Old 03-18-2011, 01:38 PM

194 posts, read 501,272 times
A kid (or adult) looking for trouble will find it anywhere. If he's buying or selling drugs, he could end up dead on the street. If he's always "looking for a party", he could end up in a bar fight on Bourbon Street.

If you're anything like my parents were, you'll know your son's friends and where he is all the time. If I had grown up here I would never have been allowed to hang out in the Quarter at night, anymore than I was allowed to do that in Little 5 Points or Buckhead in Atlanta. The average kid is no more in danger here than in any other large-ish city. This isn't some place to be especially feared. Most of the residential areas are very quiet at night. You'll be able to find a good neighborhood by doing your research. There are tons of threads here on that very subject.

There's plenty of great stuff to get involved in, especially if he's artistically or musically inclined. Sports, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans