Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-29-2011, 07:51 PM

13 posts, read 14,984 times

Advertisements

I'm a recent graduate from an ABA-approved paralegal program. I also have a BA and several years of administrative experience working for large firms in the Seattle metro area.

Until I got a paralegal job here in Seattle (which happened very recently), I was planning a move to New Orleans. I still plan to move there someday, as it's both warmer and more... well... interesting than Seattle.

Can anybody advise on how hard it might be to get work as a paralegal in NOLA, with a paralegal certificate, a BA, and several years of paralegal work experience? Now that I'm working, I won't be moving for a few years. I'd like to plan ahead, though. My boyfriend used to live there, would also like to move back (he's a welder), and says the job market is an "old boys'" network... that you have to "know somebody" to get a good paying job there. True? Thoughts? What kind of legal practice areas are in demand there? (In Seattle, it's Patents and Intellectual Property).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2011, 01:55 PM

152 posts, read 479,668 times
Ambulance chasing is the majority, there is also a large amount of class action stuff, and a fair share of DUI/DWI stuff. Probably a good bit of civil suit stuff, and given the crime rates some a bunch of criminal too.

Medical and Legal are the two biggest industries to get into here. Your boyfriend is right, thejob market here is a "good ol'boy" networking environment. Its almost to the point where if you weren't the LSU quarterback in college you won't get the job, if you were then you could be a surgeon without med school and a 1.75 GPA.

There are bands here, but I doubt any really make eough to copyright material. The rest cover old blues, jazz, rock etc. Maybe some money from the indi film side for intellectual property. I can't imagine copyrighting artwork is that economical.

Old 03-30-2011, 04:41 PM

2,311 posts, read 4,944,421 times
Yeah, really not much in the way of intellectual property here, but there's a very competitive legal environment overall.

Old 03-31-2011, 03:02 PM

13 posts, read 14,984 times
Thanks for the responses. It's a bit discouraging to hear that the "old boys' network" stereotype is accurate, but I guess it makes sense, jobs overall being scarce-- employers would rather hire people they "know" (or feel they know via similar backgrounds, etc.) than people they don't.

I don't actually work in an IP or Patent practice area. Just threw that out there. I'm about to start with a solo practitioner who does Social Security/VA disability law. I imagine there would be call for that in NOLA, and since it's federal, that experience would maybe transfer easier later on.

Thanks again, and any further insight is definitely welcome.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
View detailed profiles of: