Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2011, 10:57 AM

12 posts, read 53,089 times

Advertisements

What do you think are the main causes of high crime rates in New Orleans?
Would violent crime be a reason for you to move out the city or to move out to a safer area in the city?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2011, 12:38 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,312,844 times
School leads to jobs, jobs lead to less desperate people robbing and selling drugs to eat. Schools are the main driver for crime in New Orleans, as well as 80 miles west in Baton Rouge. Until public schools completely reform, we won't see as much crime.

Old 04-04-2011, 10:22 PM

1,077 posts, read 1,396,408 times
Besides education poor parenting and other factors that play a role in the current state of affairs in this city, the crimefighters have also played a role because of these facts that should never apply to one city during the same period.

1. The city of New Orleans from 1990-2010 had the highest average per capita incarceration rate of any major city in America.
2. The city of New Orleans from 1990-2010 had the highest average per capita homicide rate of any major city in America.

Those facts don't indicate that killers have been getting locked up, but non violent criminals being locked up.

Old 04-04-2011, 11:15 PM

2,057 posts, read 5,326,525 times
Thats one of the problems. A lot of times a criminal will get jailed, but let out again after 30 days if there arent witnesses to testify and things like that. They just get released right back on the streets to commit more crime, or maybe murder. Another problem are the large housing projects around the city, and it should be obvious, since the idea has failed pretty much everywhere, that these are outdated and cruel ways to house lower income people. A third reason is definitely the poor quality of schools. None of this really creates a positive vibe in the city and outside of tourism and a rich history, New Orleans is sorely in need of improvement.

Old 04-05-2011, 07:36 PM

1,554 posts, read 3,034,738 times
Bad schools, lucrative drug trade, lack of organized gangs (a lot of homicidal one-man operations), a subculture which has no regard for human life and glorifies killing and "going out like a soldier", heat and humidity..all these things compound unto one another and there you have it.

Old 04-05-2011, 09:13 PM

250 posts, read 563,160 times
Abundance of low income/poor people crammed into an action pack city + poor eduction + lack of multivation + heat & humidty as mentioned above = Crime!!

Old 04-05-2011, 10:23 PM

314 posts, read 759,803 times
So you whiteys really gone ignore the fact that New Orleans thugs are a victim of what racist and corrupt white Amerikkka made them...I don't know but I think being disenfranchised from equal opportunities due to race, having your community flooded with drugs/firearms by your own government, and the white media covertly promoting thug life to the black youth i for decades played a huge role in New Orleans as well as crime infested cities all over the The United Snakes violence crisis.

Old 04-06-2011, 12:26 AM

98 posts, read 285,418 times
brother's keeper,
I could agree with you more if that explanation wasn't totally kissing the problem off and blaming others, a standard line these days.

Until the community, parents and individual, accepts some of the responsibility, nothing will change. Saying it is okay to sell drugs because whitey is responsible for your situation, do you really believe that?

Old 04-06-2011, 02:07 PM

310 posts, read 854,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allcladrad View Post

Until the community, parents and individual, accepts some of the responsibility, nothing will change.
Yeah, that. I did my best to help in some dangerous places and you know what I got? I got called a "white do-gooder" all day, every day. Nobody wanted nor cared to have my help. Even my black colleagues were being called "race traitors." Heck, it's not like I was the boss - my black co-workers were MY bosses! Most of the people I saw on a daily basis didn't care to help themselves nor their children. It's a darn shame that the ones who did care get the bad rap along with those who don't care.

I lost count of how many parents thought it was cute or funny if their young child was violent in school. If they didn't think that way, they simply believed their child would never act that way or they just didn't come to conferences at all.

We can't just be blaming a race here either. I've also seen my fair share of other ethnicities (including whites) who act the same. I'm afraid we as a HUMAN race are only going to get lazier and point the finger of blame even more than we do today and it's only going to compound the problems.

Old 04-06-2011, 05:37 PM

4,857 posts, read 7,610,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brother's keeper View Post
So you whiteys really gone ignore the fact that New Orleans thugs are a victim of what racist and corrupt white Amerikkka made them...I don't know but I think being disenfranchised from equal opportunities due to race, having your community flooded with drugs/firearms by your own government, and the white media covertly promoting thug life to the black youth i for decades played a huge role in New Orleans as well as crime infested cities all over the The United Snakes violence crisis.

Once you've recognized and understood the excuses, you have no more excuses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans