U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2012, 07:01 AM

1 posts, read 1,340 times
People talk about crime being a big issue in NoLa. Is crime rampant everywhere, or in certain hoods? At night when the bars let out or during the day while walking the dog? House break-ins, or really violent?? Or..?
I'm looking to relocate to NO from Denver and wonder about crime in some of the lower-priced but close in neighborhoods. Any input/thoughts welcome!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2012, 11:10 AM

1,581 posts, read 1,492,954 times
Love it love it love it.

Came from ten years in DC, before that Chicago, SF, etc. I tried to come here the first time I visited but there weren't any jobs that I could transition to comfortably. Katrina was another setback. Moved here on my own dime and never looked back.

Its been mentioned, but the people are AWESOME. Can't stress enough. Genuinely interested in helping, kind, and amazingly gracious. If you are used to the "keep your head down, don't make eye contact" of city life, you get over it fast. Everyone waves, says hi, stops to chat but ultimately minds their own business. This is a place with a true community spirit filled with people who want to be here. Eccentrics, old money, artists and musicians, the churchgoing family-- all are welcome and all are treated kindly.

Food-- its a challenge to not to gain weight. The weather helps in the summer when its too hot to eat the local specialities (at least for me: many dishes are too heavy.) Lots of biking, which can help keep the extra pounds at bay.

Crime-- I honestly have heard more about it than experienced it. But I come from DC, which also seems (to me) to have a worse reputation than actuality where crime is concerned. There are "bad" neighborhoods and "bad" blocks. But mostly, if you say hi and have your wits about you, you won't be bothered. I have heard that a lot of cars get stolen.

Public transport could be better, but what it loses in convenience, it sure as heck makes up for in charm. Gotta LOVE those trolleys! The bus isn't too bad either. Lots of folks bike or walk.

Cost of living is pretty reasonable, esp. compared to DC. Watch out for utilties, esp. when renting. Summer months and old houses/windows with window unit AC adds up to HIGH electricity in some places. Factor that into your rent. Its usually still way cheaper than most other major cities.

Architecture, culture, landscape surrounded by water-- really, this place is like a different country. The culture is unique, the physical beauty and traditions will leave you feeling like you have stumbled onto something incredible. I adore this place. I don't miss DC/SF/Chicago one bit.

Old 05-10-2012, 11:23 AM

1,581 posts, read 1,492,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota1776 View Post
There isn't a huge young professional crowd like you get in DC/NYC. Many people are from here or the surrounding areas and already have social circles defined from their middle school days.

This is true.. I haven't really had a lot of time to go out and try to make friends (job keeps me busy) but I have noticed the difference in demographics. I have head the Warehouse District is the place to mingle for young local professionals. But there are a lot of cool artsy mom and pop places to hang out that attract a more youthful crowd.

Old 05-13-2012, 09:11 AM

565 posts, read 422,488 times
Love the city, hate the crime. Thankfully we haven't had to deal with anything major, but still annoying - our bikes were stolen and someone threw boulders at one of our cars causing some damage.

It's very hard to make friends here. We moved here knowing no-one and seven months later we know regulars in bars but have not made any really good friends. And worse, I get treated like an outsider and ignored at work. I've had a successful career up until moving here, I've never had these difficulties before so I'm pretty sure it's not me. Do they hate British people here because of history? Maybe that's it.

Anyway, I'm looking to move back to Florida.

Old 05-31-2012, 05:08 PM

19 posts, read 15,722 times
I'll be starting a new job there in June and I am worried about those types of local politics, are you really moving back to Florida?

Old 05-31-2012, 05:47 PM

458 posts, read 268,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinalimey View Post
It's very hard to make friends here. We moved here knowing no-one and seven months later we know regulars in bars but have not made any really good friends. And worse, I get treated like an outsider and ignored at work. I've had a successful career up until moving here, I've never had these difficulties before so I'm pretty sure it's not me. Do they hate British people here because of history? Maybe that's it.
That is unfortunate

Americans generally love British people and British accents. Particularly American women, for some reason. New Orleans is no different in that regard.

What is your work / what neighborhood do you live in (if you don't mind me asking)?

Old 06-01-2012, 08:13 AM

13 posts, read 13,959 times
Quote:
Love the city, hate the crime. Thankfully we haven't had to deal with anything major, but still annoying - our bikes were stolen and someone threw boulders at one of our cars causing some damage.

Anyway, I'm looking to move back to Florida.

Same here. Looking to move back to Florida... Like many things about living in NO, eg relaxed easy going atmosphere, friendly faces... Dislike work ethics, people not being on time or true to their word, dirt and filth on streets, rotting decaying smells, some other stuff.. But was surprised during my last out of town visit to discover that I actually missed NO a little bit...

Old 06-01-2012, 10:04 AM

2,223 posts, read 1,945,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KittyKattie View Post
Same here. Looking to move back to Florida... Like many things about living in NO, eg relaxed easy going atmosphere, friendly faces... Dislike work ethics, people not being on time or true to their word, dirt and filth on streets, rotting decaying smells, some other stuff.. But was surprised during my last out of town visit to discover that I actually missed NO a little bit...
I'm a native and the same things bother me. But if I go as far as Kenner I get homesick.

Old 06-01-2012, 11:15 AM

565 posts, read 422,488 times
I was going through a bit of a rough patch when I posted that a few weeks ago. Things are a bit better since then, we've made some new friends and had a fun meet up with some folks from this board. Whether I stay here or not really depends on my job situation.

I'm on a rollercoaster, some days are great, others not so much.

Old 06-01-2012, 12:53 PM

2,223 posts, read 1,945,945 times
Quote:
I was going through a bit of a rough patch when I posted that a few weeks ago. Things are a bit better since then, we've made some new friends and had a fun meet up with some folks from this board. Whether I stay here or not really depends on my job situation.

I'm on a rollercoaster, some days are great, others not so much.
Don't worry. Like I said, I'm a native, and my guilty pleasure is checking out real estate in Houston.

Glad the meet-up went well, I actually forgot about it until about 7:30 that night. It's a shame because I live about 8 blocks away. Will try to make the next one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans