U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 04-21-2011, 05:28 PM

14 posts, read 12,919 times
Default Moving to NOLA with very short notice

Can anyone tell me about these apartments/condos? It seems that the term luxury is used very casually by rental agencies. I have to move with short notice and though I have been to NOLA a few times, I am not familiar with the different neighborhoods. I have been looking for a shorter term lease in the Warehouse District, but due to the high cost and not being to find many available units I am trying to broaden my search. Any information would be helpful! How far from the streetcar line? What the is neighborhood like for safety, lifestyle, activities? What is nearby in the way of markets, coffee shop, gym, park, ect for daily living? Convenience to living without a car? Is the building well maintained? I am open to suggestions for other places. Thank you!

1205 St. Charles Condominiums
1205 St. Charles Avenue
New Orleans LA, 70130

1201 Canal Condominiums
(former Krauss Department Store)
1201 Canal St.
New Orleans, LA 70112
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2011, 04:43 AM

113 posts, read 218,246 times
For St. Charles- you're right on the streetcar line, and right by the highway, and also very close to downtown/the Quarter. When I was moving, a local told me that a general guideline to follow is to not go above St. Charles and don't go below Magazine. I've found he was correct. The feeling can dramatically change from one block to the next, but within this zone, you're usually fine. Still, you're doing the right thing by asking about specific addresses. You can also go on the NOPD web site and look up the crime statistics for an address and it will give you very detailed info on whatever mile radius you choose. It's very helpful.

Wish I could comment specifically on the building. If you look this address up on google maps and keep zooming in, some restaurants and shops will pop up. Also look for the St. Charles/Magazine borders to see what I mean. You'll never be far from things to do on St. Charles. Magazine is a short walk away, which has shopping galore. As for living without a car- eh... the problem is that the streetcars don't run on a schedule, especially at night, and they also don't go everywhere in the city. But lots of people get around on them (and buses) and with their bikes. It's not a big city, so you can manage.

If you want something more affordable, you might want to pursue a rental that isn't part of a condo/complex, because those tend to be less expensive. Also, living downtown and in the Quarter is very expensive. It's more of a mixed bag in the Garden District/Uptown but you can find affordable places. It gets even cheaper if you get to Mid-City (like around City Park, if you're looking at the map) or in the 'burbs. Again, google maps will show you. Just keep studying the map- it helps. You can get a 1 bedroom in the Garden District for around $700/month easily. I understand that it feels a little more risky to rent this way from afar, but it can be done- I just signed a lease from across the country for a studio attached to someone's house. If you have someone there local who could pop in to look at an apartment for you, that'd really help.

Old 04-23-2011, 03:43 PM

131 posts, read 199,648 times
I would widen my net to include the Mid City area too. They have some apartments with very nice amenities close to public transportation.

Good luck with your search.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans