Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-15-2011, 07:04 AM

12 posts, read 52,984 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone, what are the safest part of the city for you and why? Are there places you don't go because of insecurity? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2011, 10:17 AM

16,505 posts, read 26,105,780 times
Downtown, pretty much any place filled with tourists.

Old 05-15-2011, 11:41 AM

194 posts, read 543,292 times
OP, are you asking as a visitor or as a potential resident?

Old 05-15-2011, 01:02 PM

1,546 posts, read 3,001,687 times
To me the city runs together too much to not go somewhere. And this is kind of a blessing because everyone is used to seeing everyone else. If you go to certain parts of Baton Rouge or Lafayette people will want to know why you are there and you will be calling a huge deal of unwanted attention to yourself. I've only experienced crime against me in nicer neighborhoods to be honest, the worst thing that happened to me in a bad area is people asking if I knew where I was going. But as a tourist this type of attitude may not be quite as smart..but as a local I think the best approach is to not worry, execute common sense, and enjoy the city.

Old 05-15-2011, 07:32 PM

16,505 posts, read 26,105,780 times
True, but visitors don't walk around Baton Rouge or Lafayette like that other than downtown and LSU.

Old 05-15-2011, 08:56 PM

1,546 posts, read 3,001,687 times
Oh absolutely, that's why these places would be hostile, they're so insular they don't see outsiders so it can be a problem. Essentially tourists are not going to Scotlandville to sightsee, but I would feel bad for them if they popped a tire there!

Old 05-16-2011, 10:00 AM

1,097 posts, read 2,327,549 times
Safest area in the city (not counting the suburbs) is between Jefferson Ave. and Audubon Park. The Warehouse Dist. would be a close second.

Old 05-16-2011, 12:55 PM

32 posts, read 121,737 times
I received a position at a school in Algiers and will be starting over the summer. I've been to New Orleans a few times, but I do not know it well enough to have an idea on where to look for a place to live. My main thing is safety of course, but also commute time: I do not want to commute more than 20 minutes if I do not have to. In my several years as a teacher, I have always commuted. It is exhausting to work with students all day, tutor for a couple hours after school or sponsor clubs, then have to drive 30-45 minutes back home in the evening traffic. Not to mention all of this after waking up extra early to beat morning traffic. I would just rather put all of my energy towards work instead of rush hour. Any ideas/suggestions on areas to look? I am moving from Dallas by the way.

Old 05-16-2011, 04:33 PM

121 posts, read 247,491 times
deegee09,

You should look for a place on the West Bank if you will be teaching in Algiers. I grew up in Gretna and Algiers so I know the area pretty well. There are several safe neighborhoods in Algiers along with places to avoid. You should be able to determine the nice neighborhoods from the sketchy neighborhoods.

If your job offer is for O. Perry Walker High School, send me a PM.

Old 05-16-2011, 09:51 PM

32 posts, read 121,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintTaris View Post
deegee09,

You should look for a place on the West Bank if you will be teaching in Algiers. I grew up in Gretna and Algiers so I know the area pretty well. There are several safe neighborhoods in Algiers along with places to avoid. You should be able to determine the nice neighborhoods from the sketchy neighborhoods.

If your job offer is for O. Perry Walker High School, send me a PM.
Hi SaintTaris,

Thank you for the information. I'll look into those areas. It's a little hard searching from from a distance, browsing craigslist and apartment sites. I'll have to take that drive down to look. Hopefully I'll find something nice and this will be an easy move. I think I'll look more into Gretna.

The job offer is actually at an elementary school. I'll PM you, maybe you can give me some details on the areas around the school.

Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans