Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2011, 08:38 AM

1,809 posts, read 5,417,665 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HylianTom View Post
A high-rise building wouldn't fit in many areas. If we were to lose that unique architectural flavor of the city's landscape, we'd essentially be losing a huge chunk of what makes the city magic, at which point we may as well become.. Atlanta.
Atlanta is a large city and has one of the largest industry in movies and music, but ATL has not lost it's southern haritage. Besides, the city in the southern region that has nothing to make the city itself magic is Houston.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2011, 10:53 AM

16,507 posts, read 26,282,773 times
New Orleans wouldn't jeprodize it's historical sections for growth. What happened with Bocage? And there are plans to develop the riverfront property with residential towers, south of the CCC I believe. I would post the link but I'm on my iPhone.

Old 06-08-2011, 05:32 PM

194 posts, read 544,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackandgold51 View Post
Atlanta is a large city and has one of the largest industry in movies and music, but ATL has not lost it's southern haritage.
Having moved from Atlanta only a year ago, I completely agree. There's plenty of charm and magic in the actual city. Most of the suburbs = typical sprawl, but I love Atlanta itself.

Old 06-08-2011, 07:55 PM

1,554 posts, read 3,031,283 times
The city's population was over 600,000 in the 1960's, so it is proven that those numbers (at least) can be sustained. Although post-Katrina it's unclear how many people would be willing to fully occupy certain low-lying areas. Then again, in 1960 New Orleans East was nothing, so the city has expanded its reach in area. New Orleans to me is an urban planner's dream, because there is a large amount of space given its current population but since it's surrounded by water it can't sprawl out like crazy (Dallas, Houston, Atlanta). I hosted a guy from Russia who couldn't believe that the city only had under half a million people pre-Katrina...he thought just Orleans Parish had 1.5 million when we would ride around places. So there is plenty of room for growth. I think 600,000 is possible but 500,000 would be more desirable.

Old 06-09-2011, 01:34 PM

121 posts, read 248,437 times
The Atlanta Metro Area has well over 6.5 Million people. I would hate to see that many people crammed in the New Orleans Metro Area.

Old 06-09-2011, 02:03 PM

I'm sure if it grew to that size it would include Baton Rouge and the northshore would be pretty sufficient to maintain much of the population to lessen the impact on the city.

Atlanta is nowhere near 6.5m, it's somewhere near 5-.5.5 million. Houston is larger at 6.1m.

Old 06-09-2011, 08:34 PM

1,809 posts, read 5,417,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
I'm sure if it grew to that size it would include Baton Rouge and the northshore would be pretty sufficient to maintain much of the population to lessen the impact on the city.

Atlanta is nowhere near 6.5m, it's somewhere near 5-.5.5 million. Houston is larger at 6.1m.
However, both Atlanta and Houston don't seem bigger than the other. And besides, Houston has a lot of population because the city limits stretches out over large areas that are suburban type areas, especially since Houston's Population Density is low compared to other Citie's Pop. Density, like Baltimore for example. In other words Houston does not have that URBAN feel if you know what I mean. All Houston did was annexed nearby land that other citie's couldn't. In other words if you draw a 15-20 mile radius around the other cities in the U.S. Houston wouldn't be close to first in City Population.

Old 06-09-2011, 08:59 PM

2,311 posts, read 4,943,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aab7855 View Post
The city's population was over 600,000 in the 1960's, so it is proven that those numbers (at least) can be sustained. Although post-Katrina it's unclear how many people would be willing to fully occupy certain low-lying areas. Then again, in 1960 New Orleans East was nothing, so the city has expanded its reach in area. New Orleans to me is an urban planner's dream, because there is a large amount of space given its current population but since it's surrounded by water it can't sprawl out like crazy (Dallas, Houston, Atlanta). I hosted a guy from Russia who couldn't believe that the city only had under half a million people pre-Katrina...he thought just Orleans Parish had 1.5 million when we would ride around places. So there is plenty of room for growth. I think 600,000 is possible but 500,000 would be more desirable.
Technically speaking, the city peaked at 620,000 people in 1960. I'd imagine that Pre-K we had something like 150,000 people living in areas that were undeveloped in 1960. So I actually think that with enough downtown living and rehabilitation of existing housing stock, the city could support a million people. Of course that would be an increase of 150+%. There are still undeveloped areas in the East and Lower Coast Algiers that could probably fit another 100,000 people without too much crowding.

Last edited by Neworleansisprettygood; 06-09-2011 at 09:23 PM..

Old 06-09-2011, 10:42 PM

Quote:
However, both Atlanta and Houston don't seem bigger than the other. And besides, Houston has a lot of population because the city limits stretches out over large areas that are suburban type areas, especially since Houston's Population Density is low compared to other Citie's Pop. Density, like Baltimore for example. In other words Houston does not have that URBAN feel if you know what I mean. All Houston did was annexed nearby land that other citie's couldn't. In other words if you draw a 15-20 mile radius around the other cities in the U.S. Houston wouldn't be close to first in City Population.
Houstons city limits have nothing to do with metro popatuon. Inner city Houston has an "urban" feel to me.

Old 06-09-2011, 11:30 PM

4,230 posts, read 10,479,785 times
Quote:
About 2 million people live in the city limits of Houston with another 4,000,000 outside of it, while there are about 500,000 people in the city limits of Atlanta. New Orleans is only 200,000 people short of Atlanta by city pop. and was actually larger than Atlanta 10 years ago. The difference is that Atlanta has an extra 4,000,000 people in its suburbs. Just like Boston has a population of 600,000, but a another 3,400,000 living outside of it. Both Baltimore and D.C. have 600,000 people with 1,400,000 on the outskirts of Baltimore and 4,400,000 outside of Washington. It's really not that much of a difference since regardless of Houston's official size, there will still be 6,000,000 people in that general area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans