U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2011, 11:24 PM

19,865 posts, read 59,863,512 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abraham Walker View Post
I thought she wanted to stay away from busy streets. If that's the case, Metairie Road is the busiest street in Old Metairie.
My son lived 2 blocks off Metairie Rd on a quiet street. Very few houses actually face it

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2011, 11:00 AM

13 posts, read 20,127 times
Yes I do want to stay away from busy streets. Sorry I didn't put that very well? I just mean't that I am bringing my two cats? How do you think they will get on in the Metaire area? Coming from a small Island with lots of fields behind me and moving to mainly a built up area will be difficult. But I just can't leave my animals behind? I have had them from 9weeks old. So the question was just a general question about pets and the area. Many thanks...

Old 07-02-2011, 11:01 AM

Quiet roads are perfect...

Old 07-02-2011, 08:16 PM

People are not very fond of outside cats as these are small city lots. No one wants the smell in their garden. Plus, there is traffic and cats get hit/killed frequently. Your cats will be safer indoors-only.

Old 07-03-2011, 12:57 AM

Oh thats sad... but I understand. Can you suggest anywhere that would be safe and people are ok with outdoor cats? I couldn't keep them in that would be cruel?
What about Slidell for cats?

Old 07-03-2011, 01:09 AM

Any city is going to be the same. Lots are 50-60 ft wide by 100-110 ft deep. Put a house on that and there's not much room left. Houses are typically built to within 5 ft of the side lot lines. There are very expensive areas with bigger lots.

I had one neighbor who trapped my friendly cat and called Animal Svcs, told them he was a stray. By the time I found him, he had picked up a disease that killed him a few days later.

They will survive as indoors cats for a year. All of mine have been indoor since then.
Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 07-03-2011, 04:36 AM

310 posts, read 786,288 times
Thank you, Southern Belle. I didn't know how to put it. Don't let your cats outside here, period. Suburbs or not, people are not nice to animals running free. That's ANY large city. You'd have to live in serious country (several hour drive) for anyone to accept your cats running around. I'm an animal lover and LOVE cats, but I'd never let my babies outside around here unless I had them on a leash or something of the sort. My neighbors tolerate outdoor cats as far as I can tell, but I wouldn't put anyone past trapping one as a pest because they are highly overpopulated all over the city, more-so since the storm.

Slidell would still be bad for cats, IMO, as it's pretty similar lot-wise to other New Orleans suburbs. If you're bringing them here, they need to learn to stay inside. I know you feel that's cruel, but if you love them and want them to live, keep them inside! They'll adapt. Mine did. My oldest now hunts (and eats - YUCK!) the bugs that get in the house (bugs WILL get in your house no matter what kind of exterminator you have, it's how things are)! It took him about 6 months to understand he couldn't go outside without a leash and now he hates the leash so bad he'd rather stay inside and sit by the window. Love them, play with them, and protect them inside. Trust me on that. It's not just New Orleans that doesn't appreciate outdoor cats, it's every large area I've lived in.

Point being - there is no SAFE area for you to just let your cats run free outside. Can you do it? Yes, but I would reconsider leaving any animal you care about run loose. There have been coyotes running in the suburbs lately too - the Sheriff's Office in Jefferson Parish has been out shooting them. People have reported having the worst happen to their outside pets because of the coyotes. Don't forget that we're also in a low-lying area. The canals and swamps have life (gators, etc.) that won't tolerate domesticated animals encroaching. This is all worst case scenario, but I know people affected by both a pet-gator encounter and the recent coyote population - not cool. If you love them, keep them inside!

Last edited by Pook77; 07-03-2011 at 04:50 AM..

Old 07-03-2011, 06:08 AM

Thanks for all of your information. It probably looks like then I won't be coming... My husband has a three year contract working in New Orleans. If I can't bring them, then my children will be so sad and me too. Its just not an option so the only alternative is I stay here with the children and he works away. What a bad day I am having today. Somebody wrecked my car last night so this has just about finished it off for me. I really do appreciate your honesty. I wouldn't trap them inside it would be wrong of me to expect them to adjust. My boy runs free loving life in the sun. My girl is more of a stay at home/garden cat. But they have a wondeful life. My animals are an extension of my family. So thanks again.

Old 07-03-2011, 10:55 AM

2,311 posts, read 4,473,646 times
I really think y'all are going a little crazy on the cats thing. I had two cats growing up in a subdivision in Algiers, and people weren't the problem, dogs were. I live in Mid-City and there are plenty of stray cats, I don't see anybody gunning them down.

Old 07-03-2011, 11:21 AM

I am even more confused now than before I started posting. What about areas outside of New Orleans like Pensacola, Ocean Springs, Gulfport etc... Are cats a typical pet? Outdoors cats?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans