U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2011, 03:41 AM

310 posts, read 786,317 times

Advertisements

Domestic cats and dogs are actually very easy to bring into the US from the UK, they just have to have proper vaccines and documentation. I've moved my tabby between 3 countries now and have never had issues with quarantine. There's a 6-month rabies blood test rule that I had to follow when bringing my tabby into Scotland, but I'm sure as much as the poster has done for their cats thus far, they know what needs to be done to take them back to their home country, I hope!

Now that we'll be welcoming your feline family members to New Orleans, concentrate on how to have them travel safe across the the Atlantic. If you can avoid putting them in an airplane cargo hold, please do so! It's actually cheaper to bring your felines on board in carriers on some US airlines than to pay for cargo handling.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2011, 11:33 AM

13 posts, read 20,132 times
I am listening to all of your advice really... Also my cats aren't just cats, they are part of our family too thats why this is hard. Today I have had a sad day and told my husband for the time being I am staying here. I don't want to give up on a dream chance but I also don't want to just put my cats aside because of America?? It all seems so crazy just for cats and I was obviously ignorant to the fact so am just glad that you guys have explained the realities to me.
I am going to try and get someone to rent my house here and leave my cats here for a year in their own home. Thats about the best I can do right now. So I think end of case right now. Now I am on the forum I will keep in touch and I am sure will ask questions again. You have all be brilliant and honest so many thanks.

Old 07-05-2011, 03:34 PM

13 posts, read 20,132 times
If they have gone through the rabies process, blood tests etc then they dont have to be in quarrentine coming back. My cats are actually ready to come passports and all. But the underlying message here is indoors or don't bring them... So lots more thinking to be done. I am definately driving my husband insane???

Old 07-06-2011, 10:47 AM

19,865 posts, read 59,870,717 times
Senna, are you sure that it is the cat issue ONLY that is making you hesitate? I have had many rescued cats over the last 30 yrs and all became indoors cats willy-nilly. I just don't believe in letting them roam free. All of them adjusted and went on to live long and happy lives. To make your cats indoors only for only 1 year just isn't that big of a deal.

I am beginning to suspect that you have other reasons for dragging your feet about the move, more to do with you and the children. This is of course, none of my/our business. Just something for you to think about and try to answer honestly: why am I so reluctant to move?

Old 07-07-2011, 11:06 AM

3 posts, read 4,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by senna38 View Post
I am moving out to New Orleans around about October time for about a year. My husband is already working out in New Orleans but is staying in a motel at present. I have 3 children 4, 12 and 17 and 2 cats... I really don't know where to start looking? Can anyone suggest a good area that is both safe for the children and pets?
My husband likes Metairie. I like Slidell and I am sure they are very different? I am getting desperate now? Please can anyone help?? Many thanks in advance...

You're going to hate it! and if you stay in the city you can scratch safe off the list, you may be safe on one street turn the corner and be in trouble. And for the love of your kids, send them to a privet school! Your cats should be fine.

Old 07-07-2011, 11:08 AM

8 posts, read 9,932 times
Fully respect your opinion and have thought about it all today. Yes I am nervous a little scared and obviously apprehensive, but we have been waiting years for an opportunity like this to come along. I live on an Island at the bottom of the UK. Everybody knows everybody sort of place. My animals have an easy life, safe and happy. I had my pets before I had my last child... They are immensely important to me and so is this trip. I am an animal lover, wouldn't even squash a fly if I can help it so to suddenly take my animals from a wonderful life outside with freedom etc... to being trapped inside leaves me struggling just a bit??
I am considering keeping them in?

Old 07-07-2011, 12:12 PM

19,865 posts, read 59,870,717 times
Like I said before, I have turned strays into indoors cats. They tried to get out the door for a week or so, never made a big fuss about it but I had to watch them. Then they settled down and accepted life indoors. And if you are going back to your home island, they can take it for a year.

Old 07-08-2011, 07:40 AM

8 posts, read 9,932 times
Thanks

Old 07-08-2011, 08:55 AM

1,181 posts, read 2,791,856 times
Here are some links to articles regarding outdoor vs indoor cats;

Indoor vs Outdoor Cats - Cat-World

Harpsie's website - the indoor/outdoor debate

The Great Debate: Indoor Versus Outdoor Cats - Page 1

Indoor vs Outdoor

This way you can read the pros and cons and decide for yourself what would be best for your cats.

Old 07-08-2011, 07:50 PM

239 posts, read 562,061 times
There are also lots of threads here on City-Data in the Pets forum about this very issue. You might find some insight there, too. Just go to the 'Cats' subtopic, search 'indoor,' and some threads will come up (along with other advice about transporting cats and keeping them comfortable for travel, etc.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans