Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2011, 11:46 AM

152 posts, read 479,826 times

Advertisements

Is it me, or does it seem the city gave priority to placing speed booby trap cameras in school zones for private schools?

I rarely ever find any around public schools.

I know there has to be some.

It seems if they are meant to "protect" us (by removing our liberty to privacy), then why do rich kids get "protected" first? At the expense of my liberties... wait I didn't even ask for them to be placed there! I'm not really a fan of private school kids either. Its all a little too bourgeois to me.

What rights do they have to take my liberties without asking me? Every day in this country it seems I'm a little less free.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2011, 03:53 PM

1,554 posts, read 3,034,738 times
I didn't make that observation (though it wouldn't surprise me), but overall I have been generally disgusted by how the city labels, or should I say doesn't label, the cameras. In Lafayette at least 8 signs telling you the speed limit are posted in the vicinity of the camera, if you don't slow down it's your own fault and you were driving irresponsibly. It's clear that that city has drivers' safety in mind and punishes those who are irresponsible. Meanwhile, New Orleans' lack of notification I believe amounts to entrapment. The camera by Henry Clay Ave between Magazine and St. Charles has one measly sign denoting the speed limit anywhere near that camera, with extremely small print reading "photo enforced" on the bottom. That's just an example of the citywide lack of notification they give you. They don't care about anyone's safety, it's all about the money. The legality of of these cameras is questionable anywhere, but New Orleans is worst of all.

And if what you say about public vs. private schools is true, for more shame.

Old 07-20-2011, 05:55 PM

806 posts, read 877,223 times
" Is it me " Uh huh .

Old 07-21-2011, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by selogic View Post
" Is it me " Uh huh .
What do you mean by that? Are you implying that I imagined the first school zone cameras bein placed infrontof schools like McGhee and that private school on the corner of Harrison and Canal in lakeview?

Are you suggesting that I am mearly missng the cameras infront of the highschool I attended, lushers campuses, that math and science school on Carrollton in the old court house or whatever that is? Yet there is a camera on carrollton infront of that catholic elemetary down the street. Although that one is shared by the public school across the street. Am I mistaken in saying there is a camera infront of trinity on jefferson? How many publics around lack. Infact on paris in gentilly that massive private highscool has a camera, yet a few blocks away the greater gentilly charter school does not.

I've been keeping my eyes open the past few days just so I can make sure I am not imagining this, but i make a point of avoiding school zones as much as possible so I don't see everything. This is why I ask.

Oh there is one on freret and there is a school back in the neighborhood, but I'm not sure if its a public or an annex of McGhee.

There is a public in I think the Milan area bordered by Barronne. Near louisiana and st charles that has no cameras that I know of, but I don't go through often.

I ask this to see if anyone else noticed not simply an odd proportion of cameras "protecting" privates compared to publics, but that the first cameras that I noticed were infront of schools like McGhee, Jesuit, and that school in lakeview.

Maybe its just that private schools tend to be located on major thoroughways like st. Charles and are highly visible. The publics are often tucked back into neighborhoods. Infact if someone was foolish enough to go faster than 20mph on the streets surrounding lusher elementary then they'll end up with worse damages than a ticket.

There are privates that don't have cameras. I don't think newman has one.

Moderator cut: off topic There is ultimately nothing wrong with me asking if anyone else notices a pattern that I have. Selogic, you could hae simply said, "no I dont see that." Or even provided stats to prove my observations wrong. Infact id love it if someone could do that so that I can take comfort in knowing that I am mistaken and the administration in this town is not taking preference to their own afluent social circles to further persist their wealth and power. Most of my opinions are rooted in a proletariat grudge. I would love it if I could change it by discovering the rich don't do everything in their vast power to keep themselves that way. Eh crap here I go again with marxist BS.

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 07-21-2011 at 12:39 PM..

Old 07-21-2011, 10:08 AM

4,230 posts, read 10,487,161 times
If I'm not mistaken, the city doesn't put school zones in front of high schools unless it has students in a grade lower than 9. I think of several examples in the city where there's a high school with no school zone next to an elementary school with one, that's with cameras up or not. I also can't think of any private 9-12 high schools with school zones in front of them.

Old 07-21-2011, 10:24 AM

1,554 posts, read 3,034,738 times
For clarification, there is a camera on the corner of Louisiana and St. Charles

Old 07-22-2011, 06:17 PM

806 posts, read 877,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nico82NO View Post
Is it me, or does it seem the city gave priority to placing speed booby trap cameras in school zones for private schools?
Yes , so far it appears that " it's you " .

Old 07-26-2011, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestbankNOLA View Post
If I'm not mistaken, the city doesn't put school zones in front of high schools unless it has students in a grade lower than 9. I think of several examples in the city where there's a high school with no school zone next to an elementary school with one, that's with cameras up or not. I also can't think of any private 9-12 high schools with school zones in front of them.
Huh, I never knew they only set school zones for below 9th.

So then what I've noticed as favoritism is really a result of the public system dividing elementary and highschool.

So there very well could be more private highschools with zones and cameras, but only because they house middleschool grades as well.

Then to be more accurate I must ask are there more private school zones with cameras than public school zones?

Or divide it further and compare strictly private elementary and public elementary zones/cameras. Then compare those few schools both public and private that house both highschool and elementary/middle school grades.

Old 07-26-2011, 04:26 PM

4,230 posts, read 10,487,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nico82NO View Post
Or divide it further and compare strictly private elementary and public elementary zones/cameras. Then compare those few schools both public and private that house both highschool and elementary/middle school grades.
Basically

Old 08-13-2011, 09:38 PM

26 posts, read 137,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aab7855 View Post
The camera by Henry Clay Ave between Magazine and St. Charles has one measly sign denoting the speed limit anywhere near that camera, with extremely small print reading "photo enforced" on the bottom.
Oh man, I just got home and had a ticket from speeding in that area. $75 and I was going, get this, 4 miles over the speed limit. I am fuming!

And for the record, I really did think the limit was 30 there so thought I was driving the limit. Argh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans