Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2011, 03:42 PM

1,097 posts, read 2,331,434 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRA2000TL View Post
After Katrina, the city made heavy efforts to promote the FQ; however, the rest of it pretty much went to hell. Look at the east side of NOLA today. I drive through there going to our office on <shudder> the West Bank.
Wrong. The city has made an effort to promote...THE CITY. The rest of it went to hell? Get off the expressway much? Do you really believe that NOLA is just the French Quarter surrounded by a ghetto? Yes, some of the city is still struggling, but there are huge swaths of renewal in areas that were severely depressed pre-Katrina. I'm seeing tourists in neighborhoods that they wouldn't have ventured into before the storm. We're not just getting tourists, but transplants from across the country that want to live here and be part of the rebirth.

Old 08-24-2011, 05:36 PM

2,189 posts, read 7,038,558 times
Quote:
OP, you're correct....why didn't you do any research before moving into the city or staying in LA in general? You grew up in the area, right? You couldn't pay me $250k a year to move 150 miles west to N.O. (or ANYwhere in Lousiana). If you did your research you would have found all this out ahead of time. Sucks...but yeah, get out of there when/if you can. The cost of living is highly inflated (maybe not quite to the extreme you describe, but yes, you pay high dollar for junk). The politicians are even moreso crooked there...and when you move there, you get double taxed on your vehicle at registration (they just dub it as a "road use" tax). Sorry for those that live there and love it--the natives have this big pride thing about N.O.; but that's their preference. N.O. is a love it or hate it place....but I agree; it's filthy, taxed heavily, and full of crime. You want a real culture shock...go cross the Huey P. Long bridge and see the interesting cast of characters over there. It's like another universe.

Must be a bad place b/c our interstates over here are flooded with nothing but Louisiana drivers (terrible drivers!). Must be something bad there for them to always be on our turf.

Source for my opinion: I know people that live there and have been over there way too many times to last a lifetime.

Well us tourist could quit coming to your state but then you would lose your busboy job and have to move here to support yourself.

busta

Old 08-24-2011, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by View_Anew View Post
Why? Because when I lived here before Katrina, all of my bills were half of what they are now. What should I do? Have any suggestions? Can you point me to a job paying $60k or more a year? I'm all ears!

Got news for you. Go anyplace in the country and you will find that cost has gone up a lot in the last few years.

Old 08-24-2011, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by View_Anew View Post
Ok, I'll give you my address so you can mail me a check every month to help me raise them, or would you prefer to try to raise them yourself ?

Hate to sound cold but why would you even think of starting a family if you know you can't afford to care for them?

Old 08-24-2011, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hindsight2020 View Post
NO reminds me of my hometown, San Juan, PR, in that it's pushed along by a populace that emphasizes folklore over economic competitiveness and solvency for the majority. Brain drain abounds and people shrug their shoulders at the riff raffiness and "halfway there" approach to everything city planning and governance-related on account of a "vibrant culture" that really only means folklore and actually doesn't provide that solvent of a lifestyle for that many people within said populace. That doesn't make the place evil, or ill intending. It is merely the textbook definition of a a great place to VISIT and a terrible place to live. To each their own. The OP should suck it up and change her circumstances instead of blaming the city indeed, but I won't discount all her points, because they touch on many of the reasons Louisiana in general will never be considered high in the list of attractive places to live and pay taxes, for the educated class.

Are you really that educated on the taxes we pay? My house is worth almost 500K and I pay between 3K and 4K a year in taxes. My friends in and around New York pay over 25K a year in taxes on houses worth a lot less.

Old 08-24-2011, 06:09 PM

Quote:
College is a scam and I say this as someone who graduated in Finance with a 3.7 GPA and have a pretty successful career so far.

College is pretty much required these days to get any job worth any kind of money. The exception to the rule is someone who has gone into a specific trade (i.e. auto tech, electrician, plumber, etc.) Those vo-tech trades can make folks pretty successful.

The thing with this Gen Y crowd is that more and more are going to college; whereas in the 60s-80s, not as many attended. Now you have a flooding of folks obtaining a bachelors degree and amassing thousands in loans just do do so. What happens? Economics--supply and demand. The market is flooded with tons of overeducated, underexperienced folks looking for jobs. Since the job market is not so great, you have tons of folks competing for few positions. It's an employer's market..and guess what...they hire cheap labor because they can. They can pick and choose whomever and pay them peanuts because most are just glad to have a job. Now you have grads making a garbage salary and having to pay back tons of loans. Seems like a pretty **** poor deal, huh?

The dynamics of education have changed. I say if you want to better yourself, go learn a trade---laying tile, electrician, plumber, etc. You will do well and here's why; these people are NEEDED and will ALWAYS be needed. Go get a business degree and play on Excel all day; your skills are not as in-demand. On top of that, if you learn a skill and hate your boss, job, etc. you can take that skill and go into business for yourself. That right there is the ONLY way to make a really great living. As long as you're a pawn for someone else, you're limited to what you can do.

Doctors, lawyers, teachers, accountants, and engineers all require degrees and they'll always be needed; but how many of us fall into one of those categories? (I am an accountant but not a CPA because I had no desire to work in public accounting.)

I agree the OP needs to make a decision and do something; however, getting a decent paying job these days is difficult no matter where you live.
This is kinda right. I have several good carpenters working for me that make between 75K and 100K a year. Plus a bunch of idiots that don't know what end of the nail they should drive.

And it's funny I have a hard time finding good carpenters who know what they're doing. All the smart ones went to college and are looking for jobs like you said and it's left the idiots behind that could never be good carpenters.

Old 08-24-2011, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Yeah food, if that's the type of food you like and some historical architecture; that's about it. The rest though, not so much. They have a horrible political govt., some of the worst roads in the country next to Michigan (and this is the South where roads aren't suceptible to the harsh conditions of the North). The whole state in general is dirty, bland, and ugly--lots of the oil and gas stuff out there. Yeah it's beneficial to the country but not sightly to look at. Don't get me started on the obnoxious LSU and Saints fans..that's a whole different story. As I said, it must not be a great place to be because all I see are LA plates over on our side.....giant gold Suburbans plastered in LSU/Saints stickers, ice chest racks on the back, crap strapped to the top, and a hoard of obnoxious kids in the back (speeding up and slowing down in the left hand lane). Sorry that's sterotyping but I tend to see a LOT of that come over our way. I went to Pensacola Beach in the off season to relax, and there were droves of LA folks out there that fit the above description. It was not relaxing for us. The parking lot was full of LA plates. The FL panhandle does take your hard earned $ in tourism though!

To each his own. If everyone lived in the same place, it'd be more overcrowded. I just don't care for and would never live in LA, but that's just my opinion. I don't blame folks for not wanting to live in AL either.

You do have a clue. As far as not liking the food. We can't help you on your taste. Of course FL food is bland as all hell to us.

And please backup your claims about out politicians. Most of my family are in politics and I can tell you that they all are doing the best job they can for the people of this State. If you think you can do better, quit bitching and run for office and make a change.

You do know that our roads in the South are built over marsh and swamp and are constantly shifting and moving. Plus the heat that causing them to buckle. Why would you even compare our roads to Michigan?

I guess you've been across the complete State to say that it'd dirty,bland, and ugly?

Yes we pump oil here. Just like your bama coast when I'm looking out in the Gulf and see oil rigs as far as the eye can see. Kinda messes up the view of your beautiful white sand coast doesn't it. But wait, the oil rigs stop at the FL line. Do you stop driving and using gas at the Fl line?

And about LSU and Saints fans. You haven't a clue. Unlike FL and bama fans. We welcome you to our tailgate parties plus parties in our homes after the games. We are well known for inviting everyone into our homes. Unlike when we get pelted in other states when we go to games.

And if you really don't want us in ya State den a few of us will be more den glade ta spend our money someplace else. But doing so will put you looking for ya busboy job someplace.

Oh you won't ever find my Louisiana plate in your state again because of your post. I'll be glade to stay out of a state that screws you on tolls on your roads.

Old 08-24-2011, 07:13 PM

481 posts, read 880,789 times
LOL busboy? Not hardly, try degreed, experienced accountant. I'd prefer the tourist $ be spent elsewhere and have our peaceful beaches back. The state needs to find other sources of stable revenue. Screws you on toll roads? Shows how much you've been to Alabama. Yes I've been off the expressway; no my opinion does not change. You want to talk about taxes--this is coming from the state that double taxes new residents on their vehicles with the "road use tax". This is the state that has a city which lies under sea level and people still move there and cry about flood insurance. Before you get on the "you live on the coast too" tangent; I'm 140 ft. ABOVE sea level. My old boss lives in NOLA in one of those old ratty shotgun houses in Uptown. Taxes were 4-5k. They "re-assessed" the home value WAY over what it was worth. My boss had to file a dispute. Yes, I'm not just blowing smoke up peoples' asses.....I said I knew people that lived and still live there.

Like I said, there's no point in arguing, especially folks from LA. They live in their own little world with their own mentality. That's fine stay there, and I'll stay over here and we'll all be happy.

Last edited by AlwaysBeachin; 08-24-2011 at 07:27 PM..

Old 08-24-2011, 08:04 PM

4,230 posts, read 10,454,127 times
Quote:
You want to talk about taxes--this is coming from the state that double taxes new residents on their vehicles with the "road use tax".
What are you talking about. You pay sales tax on the vehicle upon registration (there's an agreement wit most states to knock that off. There isn't one with Alabama though) After that it's only $10 a year for vehicle registration.

Quote:
This is the state that has a city which lies under sea level and people still move there and cry about flood insurance. Before you get on the "you live on the coast too" tangent; I'm 140 ft. ABOVE sea level. My old boss lives in NOLA in one of those old ratty shotgun houses in Uptown. Taxes were 4-5k. They "re-assessed" the home value WAY over what it was worth. My boss had to file a dispute. Yes, I'm not just blowing smoke up peoples' asses.....I said I knew people that lived and still live there.
Being below sea-level actually protects us in a way. The damnage to coastal AL would have been much worse from a Katrina type storm than in LA. Just compare below sea-level NOLA to above sea-level coastal MS. Exactly. Cities like New York, Miami, and even Mobile just sit at the edge of the water. Yea, that was a genius idea.

Quote:
Like I said, there's no point in arguing, especially folks from LA. They live in their own little world with their own mentality. That's fine stay there, and I'll stay over here and we'll all be happy.
Then why are you here? Why should we live in your world.

...as far as the political situation in Alabama, it's not that much better. ALDOT, Birmingham govt, etc. Let's not even go back a couple of decades.

Old 08-24-2011, 08:17 PM

16,505 posts, read 26,167,835 times
I'm appalled your college awarded you with a degree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans