U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Unread 12-13-2011, 08:18 PM

4,236 posts, read 5,204,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rburnett View Post
According to the report, the number of local businesses along N. Claiborne dropped by 50% Between 1965 and 1971. That is a precipitous drop that cannot simply be attributed to a "change in culture". The expressway forced everyone to bypass all of those businesses and reduced trips within the neighborhood. Its not the structure that was the problem, its what it did to traffic.
What about the fact that many of the people who lived in that area had already begun migrating to the 7th Ward and Gentilly? The highway just made them move a little faster. Also, many of those businesses catered to African Americans who weren't welcome on Canal Street up until this particular time frame. Once Canal Street became open for business to black people, black business strips died because they couldn't compete.
Let's not throw in 2 massive housing projects during the rise in drug culture less than a mile apart.

[quote]
If it is torn down, there will be modifications that will have to be done, but they seem minimal. The report shows a 2 lane flyover ramp from I-610 onto the Ponchatrain Expressway, a diamond interchange at Broad St and Claiborne, and a Galvez connection over the expressway. They give a $50,000,000 figure for rehabbing the existing I-10 segment. Now, weather or not the demolition and modifications would be less than that number, I'm not sure.[quote]

Think about the work it would take to put a flyover from I-610 west to I-10 east and think about how the Broad overpass and I-10 would have to be modified to put a diamond right there. That's really not minor in my opinion and the exit at Causeway costs over $80,000,000. Like you, I don't know if that's cheaper or not and I'm really not trying to be negative. The whole plan just sounds "too good', until you start looking closely at things.

Quote:
Even if the cost is slightly higher, I believe it will be better for the city in the long run. From the traffic counts I've seen and the existing street network, a teardown with modifications could be better than what we have now. Look at Brooklyn, Boston and Chicago: Huge swaths of urban neighborhoods with minimal expressway intrusion. Granted, these cities have large rapid transit networks, but we are much much smaller and are only looking at 2 miles of expressway.
The traffic counts posted at the DOTD website put I-10 at over 100,000 vehicles a day in that stretch, the pre-Katrina high was 110,000. Are Brookly, Boston, and Chicago really accurate comparisons? Brooklyn is surrounded by expressways and just to the north in Queens, they cut through left and right. Boston is the one city that I would compare to, the similarities between the I-10 and the Central Artery to be exact, but Boston still has a considerable bit more expressway intrusion than New Orleans. Honestly, highway intrusion in New Orleans is already minimal and Chicago could be compared to Dallas or Houston in this regard.
Quick reply to this message

Unread 12-13-2011, 08:23 PM

975 posts, read 1,071,795 times
As for the Forever 21 deal...I can't say I'd want to see a 2 story F21 downtown. I don't see that working. There needs to be more surrounding businesses which need to migrate down from Canal Place.

I am however hopeful for an Apple Store on Canal Street at some point. Someone needs to buy the Sanlin building, remove that horrid facade...and redevelop that building.

Unread 12-13-2011, 09:10 PM

4,236 posts, read 5,204,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prytania View Post
As for the Forever 21 deal...I can't say I'd want to see a 2 story F21 downtown. I don't see that working. There needs to be more surrounding businesses which need to migrate down from Canal Place.

I am however hopeful for an Apple Store on Canal Street at some point. Someone needs to buy the Sanlin building, remove that horrid facade...and redevelop that building.
The Apple Store would be awesome. There was talk about an H&M as well, but I don't know what ever happened with that. I would like to see the stores in Canal Place move down, with Canal Place going back to being as high end as it once was. Don't know if that will ever happen though.

Unread 12-13-2011, 10:26 PM

975 posts, read 1,071,795 times
H&M is likely the competitor either that article or another was talking about F21 and H&M are about on the same level in terms of producing mass market style knockoffs (just H&M sells mens clothing too).

I do think that Apple could revamp Canal in a way that few other retailers could. And I'm sure its on their map of things to consider...but who knows if they'll do it. If Freret Street can thrive with local business (I was there helping with economic development a few years ago there per a councilmember), Canal definitely can thrive...

As far as Canal Place...jCrew is moving in (they are considered high end in their market even if Lakeside has a store). Canal Place actively kicked Pottery Barn out (which sucks...I liked PB more than Anthropologie)

Unread 12-13-2011, 11:45 PM

10,135 posts, read 6,857,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroBTR View Post
Well I know I don't want to walk or drive down a street plagued by those issues...I doubt anyone else does, either. I'm pointing out that the problems in that area of the city are nothing a little more sunlight can fix.

I say when prove they can fix O.C. Haley (also very close to attractions) with it's abundance of sunlight and potential, then lets give them a shot at Claiborne. Till then, I say let that monstrosity of an expressway stand! Do you think the greenway in BR will attract people? If so, why can't cultivating a pleasant space beneath the I-10 expressway in NOLA attract people?

As far as ST and BT here in Baton Rouge, that all depends on who you ask and your definition of "gentrify." Some streets in BT are still somewhat seedy if you ask me, particularly as you move farther south. Fifteen years ago you couldn't have paid me to live there. Same for ST >20 years ago. As a matter of fact I'd say neither of them has completely gentrified. There are still derelict properties even in Spanish town. In BT, I'd say at least 25-35% of housing remains slummish.
I've walked down Claiborne close to Poydras and Canal numerous times, didn't enjoy it but I never really felt scared or nervous. In New Orleans I think it would be easier to turn that neighborhood around with it coming down versus leaving it up. Not that it's the only way but I think it would help.

I don't think the greenway will attract anyone if it's done poorly (which wouldn't surprise me one bit) or if it isn't safe. There needs to be more people in the vicinity that will use it to it's potential. It may be pretty and nice to show off but not worth it if it's not effective. It would help if more developments that patrons use where closer to I-110, most things are centered on the river side. If it was riverfront 30 million dollar redesign vs the Greenway, the riverfront would stomp it as far as attracting people.

I'd agree about Beauregard Town, some streets don't look good but I still feel safe inside downtown. I was too young to remember when Spanish Town wasn't so nice, I guess.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prytania View Post

I think a Forever 21 would be good, Canal needs more stores other than the camera stores and blank storefronts.
An Apple would be really cool. Downtown/CBD absolutely need these things.

Unread 12-14-2011, 09:52 PM

Crescent Park under construction:
The Tobler Company, New Orleans, LA

Some national attention, Feds help fund Lafitte Greenway.
http://www.bestofneworleans.com/blog...ridor-greenway

Unread 12-15-2011, 06:36 PM

1,734 posts, read 3,246,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
I've walked down Claiborne close to Poydras and Canal numerous times, didn't enjoy it but I never really felt scared or nervous. In New Orleans I think it would be easier to turn that neighborhood around with it coming down versus leaving it up. Not that it's the only way but I think it would help.

I don't think the greenway will attract anyone if it's done poorly (which wouldn't surprise me one bit) or if it isn't safe. There needs to be more people in the vicinity that will use it to it's potential. It may be pretty and nice to show off but not worth it if it's not effective. It would help if more developments that patrons use where closer to I-110, most things are centered on the river side. If it was riverfront 30 million dollar redesign vs the Greenway, the riverfront would stomp it as far as attracting people.

I'd agree about Beauregard Town, some streets don't look good but I still feel safe inside downtown. I was too young to remember when Spanish Town wasn't so nice, I guess.

I think a Forever 21 would be good, Canal needs more stores other than the camera stores and blank storefronts.
An Apple would be really cool. Downtown/CBD absolutely need these things.
I hate the way this sounds Annie, but aren't I correct that you're an African American? If not, a thousand pardons. African Americans are likely to feel more comfortable on their own "turf" than people of other races. Like I said, I know that sounds bad, but that's the world we live in.

I feel safe in Beauregard Town also, but point is that its still gentrifying.

Unread 12-15-2011, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroBTR View Post
I hate the way this sounds Annie, but aren't I correct that you're an African American? If not, a thousand pardons. African Americans are likely to feel more comfortable on their own "turf" than people of other races. Like I said, I know that sounds bad, but that's the world we live in.

I feel safe in Beauregard Town also, but point is that its still gentrifying.
No I'm not black!

Just kidding, I'm black and don't forget it! It makes sense. One of my brothers close friends lived/lives on South Blvd and it isn't like the other parts of BT. Some of the parts on East Blvd are really run down too.

Unread 12-15-2011, 11:27 PM

625 posts, read 445,320 times
I'm white Hispanic and I feel completely comfortable in other people's "turf". I don't see myself as unwelcome because if I am spending money in a certain neighborhood's business, they shouldn't mind. Obviously, I keep a watch around me anywhere I walk. I think it depends on where you grew up and how much time you spend in city environments.

Unread 12-16-2011, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcp11889 View Post
I'm white Hispanic and I feel completely comfortable in other people's "turf". I don't see myself as unwelcome because if I am spending money in a certain neighborhood's business, they shouldn't mind. Obviously, I keep a watch around me anywhere I walk. I think it depends on where you grew up and how much time you spend in city environments.
Really?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans