Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2011, 07:55 PM

21 posts, read 87,704 times

Advertisements

I'd like to go somewhere that has a decent film scene and has plenty of opportunities for film acting/auditioning but isn't so full of competition that it's difficult to participate. These don’t have to be commercial or feature films, in fact I am more interested in student and independent films….but films only, not theater. Also, I don’t care about “making it big,” this is purely for the fun and artistic side of it. Non-paid roles are fine, I am mostly looking to gain experience and build a resume. Please do not factor in cost of living, weather, or anything else in your opinion…I only care about acting/auditioning opportunities. Also, please don’t assume that just because a city is rated high as a good place to “make movies” that it is also a good place to live as an actor. For example, NO may offer a lot of film incentives but if the film is cast and full of crew before it ever gets to NO that does not make NO a good place for an actor to live and find auditions. (I am not saying this is how it is in NO, just using it as an example). How does NO compare with other alternative cities to LA/NY with a film scene...such as Atlanta and Austin? Any and all suggestions appreciated. Any links or background knowledge you can provide to support your opinion is appreciated! Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2011, 03:22 PM

21 posts, read 87,704 times
Anybody?

Old 12-10-2011, 04:01 PM

2,311 posts, read 4,946,612 times
Sorry, I really don't know much about the local film industry, so if nobody else has anything to say either about the availability of acting jobs, that might be your answer. Good luck.

Old 12-10-2011, 04:39 PM

2,311 posts, read 4,946,612 times
I think this is within the rules to mention- this is the link to the local craigslist film jobs:

new orleans tv/film/video/radio jobs classifieds - craigslist

Old 12-11-2011, 04:10 AM

310 posts, read 854,757 times
As an equity actor, I find it difficult to get anything other than theater, but I'm not actively looking as I'm now a health care professional. I spend most of my time singing the National Anthem at pro and semi pro sporting events. Companies seem to be auditioning people elsewhere then bringing them into New Orleans. I haven't found a legitimate call in awhile.

Old 12-11-2011, 09:58 PM

63 posts, read 564,815 times
Coulon casting. Fe Na Nay does casting for Treme and also check out Craigslist in the tv film jobs section.

Old 12-11-2011, 10:32 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,308,869 times
Treme is still filming?

Old 12-12-2011, 03:15 AM

129 posts, read 316,754 times
A lot of great info here:

Louisiana Film & Television (http://louisianaentertainment.gov/film/default.cfm - broken link)

Old 12-12-2011, 03:34 PM

13 posts, read 29,770 times
And here is another site to check out, it is Louisiana-wide:

The Home For Louisiana's Film Industry - News

Old 12-12-2011, 06:07 PM

458 posts, read 616,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FarawayFaraway View Post
These don’t have to be commercial or feature films, in fact I am more interested in student and independent films…
Quote:
Please do not factor in cost of living, weather, or anything else in your opinion…I only care about acting/auditioning opportunities.
Quote:
How does NO compare with other alternative cities to LA/NY with a film scene...such as Atlanta and Austin?
I'm a filmmaker from New Orleans currently living in New York City. The Hollywood film industry is booming in New Orleans, sure, but that world operates completely separately from the "indie" film and student film worlds.

As far as opportunities for student and indie film acting goes... NOLA does not compare to the huge and highly competitive student/indie world of NYC and LA. NOLA is much, much smaller. Being small also means it's much less competitive, but the opportunities that do exist are less interesting.

I would bet that Austin has a bigger indie/student world than NOLA, but never having been there I can't really say. Have no idea about Atlanta. But the only real student films in NOLA are UNO films, and UNO is not the same caliber of film school as UT-Austin - which is not the same caliber as NYU/Columbia in NYC. Local film schools naturally drive the local student film industries.

Maybe you'd be interested in finding small roles in the Hollywood-style productions that come to NOLA (they don't fill all the spots with out-of-towners simply for financial reasons) rather than bigger roles in student/indie stuff? In that case, NOLA would probably offer opportunities for roles that in NYC/LA would be way more competitive.

But, since you're not relying on finding paying gigs, I would think NYC/LA would be far more interesting from an actors standpoint.

Last edited by Jester2138; 12-12-2011 at 06:16 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
View detailed profiles of: