Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2012, 10:20 AM

27,566 posts, read 28,665,617 times

Advertisements

I'm a native of the DC area. And I just got back from my first trip to New Orleans.

I have to say that, other than the slower pace, New Orleans didn't feel ANYTHING like my conception of what a "southern" city is like. It felt like a place where most anyone of any background could feel at home and be accepted.

New Orleans has a number of similarities to DC actually.

Last edited by BigCityDreamer; 04-17-2012 at 10:28 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2012, 10:45 AM

16,508 posts, read 26,312,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
I'm a native of the DC area. And I just got back from my first trip to New Orleans.

I have to say that, other than the slower pace, New Orleans didn't feel ANYTHING like my conception of what a "southern" city is like. It felt like a place where most anyone of any background could feel at home and be accepted.

New Orleans has a number of similarities to DC actually.
Do you mean suburban like?

Old 04-17-2012, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Both cities have a strong grid pattern and a greater focus on walking and public transportation. The French Quarter reminded me somewhat of Georgetown and Old Town Alexandria. Also, the ethnic diversity and strong African American presence are characteristics of both cities. There are a number of music festivals in DC during different parts of the year. I often go to the annual Silver Spring jazz festival, which has a lot of New Orleans type influence and food.

Of course, the French Quarter festival in New Orleans took it all up a few notches. :-)

Old 04-17-2012, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
I just noticed you were asking me a different question. lol.

I don't mean suburban like. More like a prevalence of southern accents, country/southern rock music, evangelical Christians, soul food, etc.

Old 04-17-2012, 12:04 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,312,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
I just noticed you were asking me a different question. lol.

I don't mean suburban like. More like a prevalence of southern accents, country/southern rock music, evangelical Christians, soul food, etc.
Oh ok. I was going to point out the older coastal southern cities which are pretty urban.

Old 04-19-2012, 10:54 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,946,158 times
NO's built is like that of a European city, but overall when I was there it felt Southern. Most Blacks had Southern accents(although with a tinge of Caribbean or Creole flair). Southern dialect, Southern food, just a different type of Southern. Despite the brick lay-out, it doesn't remind me of Northeastern cities. It seems much more unique than those cities, and seems more "REAL".

And the landscaping is totally different from the Northeast. Plenty of Canary Date Palms trees. Those Canary Date Palms in a weird way kinda make NO look like it could be a city in Cali. Than there's Southern Style bungalows that solidifies it's Southerness. It's a VERY different city from the rest of the South, but just as different from anywhere in the Northeast.

NO has a strong Frenchness about it, but where in the Northeast feels authentically "French"? It also has a good mix of, well, mixed race people's. When I think of a light-skinned mixed race Black Creoles, I don't think of NYC or the Northeast, I automatically think of Black Southern Belles like Beyonce quite honestly.

All in all, outside of the Italian population, and the Yat accent of the Whites that live there, NO doesn't really remind me of the Northeast. Take into account that it's predominantly Black, and the Blacks don't speak with the Yat.

Old 04-20-2012, 12:04 AM

814 posts, read 1,476,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
NO's built is like that of a European city, but overall when I was there it felt Southern. Most Blacks had Southern accents(although with a tinge of Caribbean or Creole flair). Southern dialect, Southern food, just a different type of Southern. Despite the brick lay-out, it doesn't remind me of Northeastern cities. It seems much more unique than those cities, and seems more "REAL".

And the landscaping is totally different from the Northeast. Plenty of Canary Date Palms trees. Those Canary Date Palms in a weird way kinda make NO look like it could be a city in Cali. Than there's Southern Style bungalows that solidifies it's Southerness. It's a VERY different city from the rest of the South, but just as different from anywhere in the Northeast.

NO has a strong Frenchness about it, but where in the Northeast feels authentically "French"? It also has a good mix of, well, mixed race people's. When I think of a light-skinned mixed race Black Creoles, I don't think of NYC or the Northeast, I automatically think of Black Southern Belles like Beyonce quite honestly.

All in all, outside of the Italian population, and the Yat accent of the Whites that live there, NO doesn't really remind me of the Northeast. Take into account that it's predominantly Black, and the Blacks don't speak with the Yat.
I don't really think New Orleanians have a Southern accent. Most whites are either neutral or some variation of a yat but both blacks and whites say yall if you want to follow that stereotype. Black people in New Orleans always make fun of the Black people in Atlanta becuase the New Orleanians think the Atlantans sound sooo country. New Orleanians do have some Southern accent influences, though. I always thought the Black accent in New Orleans was kind of unique because it does kind of sound different from most other Black accents. But then again it seems that most people would have trouble telling the difference between a Black New Orleanian and say a Black Philadelphian or something. Most people it seems think there are not somewhat big differences between the way Blacks talk in cities across the country but I am sure I could pick out a Black New Orleanian by hearing and seeing their mannerisms, accent, and slang.

There are not that many "Southern Style bungalows" unless that includes a shotgun or something. Bungalows might make up 10% of this city and that is a generous estimate. Also New Orleans food is not really your typical Southern Food since it can really only be found in this specific region. But I guess we are the birth place of Popeyes and we do love our other Southern Soul foods.

Plus New Orleans has a lot more than just Italians becuase there are Irish, French, Germans, Jews, Greeks, Eastern Europeans that the rest of the South does not have. Plus there is the predominate Catholic culture and way of life. Heck even a good amount of Black people are Catholic and about all of the Asians(mostly Vietnamese) are Catholic. Plus New Orleans has a long connection with Latin America. New Orleans for the most part is also dense and walkable and while this might not compare totally to a North East city is a lot better than most Southern cities.

I am not trying to make it sound like New Orleans is not Southern and I am not trying to make it seem like New Orleans is more of a North East city. I just think that New Orleans sticks out too much to be considered your typical Southern city and it just does its own thing and that is why many people consider it to be one of the most unique cities. Many people think of new orleanians having this country Southern accent and that is not the case and it seems most people are shocked when they learn New Orleans has significant Immigrant groups like Italians and that is becuase they attach New Orleans to this Southern Stereotype which it is obviuosly not apart of. So I guess for the most part I agree with you regarding New Orleans being too unique to fit into a category except I just believe it is less typcial Southern than you think. But I am from New Orleans and I would call myself a Southerner but that is after I call myself a New Orleanian and a Louisianian.

Last edited by Jimbo_1; 04-20-2012 at 12:15 AM..

Old 04-20-2012, 05:15 AM

14,256 posts, read 26,946,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo_1 View Post
I don't really think New Orleanians have a Southern accent. Most whites are either neutral or some variation of a yat but both blacks and whites say yall if you want to follow that stereotype. Black people in New Orleans always make fun of the Black people in Atlanta becuase the New Orleanians think the Atlantans sound sooo country. New Orleanians do have some Southern accent influences, though. I always thought the Black accent in New Orleans was kind of unique because it does kind of sound different from most other Black accents. But then again it seems that most people would have trouble telling the difference between a Black New Orleanian and say a Black Philadelphian or something. Most people it seems think there are not somewhat big differences between the way Blacks talk in cities across the country but I am sure I could pick out a Black New Orleanian by hearing and seeing their mannerisms, accent, and slang.

There are not that many "Southern Style bungalows" unless that includes a shotgun or something. Bungalows might make up 10% of this city and that is a generous estimate. Also New Orleans food is not really your typical Southern Food since it can really only be found in this specific region. But I guess we are the birth place of Popeyes and we do love our other Southern Soul foods.

Plus New Orleans has a lot more than just Italians becuase there are Irish, French, Germans, Jews, Greeks, Eastern Europeans that the rest of the South does not have. Plus there is the predominate Catholic culture and way of life. Heck even a good amount of Black people are Catholic and about all of the Asians(mostly Vietnamese) are Catholic. Plus New Orleans has a long connection with Latin America. New Orleans for the most part is also dense and walkable and while this might not compare totally to a North East city is a lot better than most Southern cities.

I am not trying to make it sound like New Orleans is not Southern and I am not trying to make it seem like New Orleans is more of a North East city. I just think that New Orleans sticks out too much to be considered your typical Southern city and it just does its own thing and that is why many people consider it to be one of the most unique cities. Many people think of new orleanians having this country Southern accent and that is not the case and it seems most people are shocked when they learn New Orleans has significant Immigrant groups like Italians and that is becuase they attach New Orleans to this Southern Stereotype which it is obviuosly not apart of. So I guess for the most part I agree with you regarding New Orleans being too unique to fit into a category except I just believe it is less typcial Southern than you think. But I am from New Orleans and I would call myself a Southerner but that is after I call myself a New Orleanian and a Louisianian.
Yeah, NO is too unique to be put into a category. That's why I say it doesn't feel like a city in the NE. It's too unique for the NE. Boston, Philly, NYC, don't have anything on NO when it comes to STAND-OUT uniqueness. Most of the various races and culture in those cities up there are diverse, but they're still pretty clear, cut, dry and easy to distinguish(Asians in NY are Asian, West Indians in NY are West Indian, Russians are Russians, etc), there's no surprises up there.

But in NO, everyone is a mixture of something, and there's a huge combination of cultures, races, tradition, religion, language, music, cuisine, clothes, etc. It's all combined in NO from years, and years of interracial breeding, so the mixture of cultures keeps one guessing, and isn't as clearly defined, and thus seems more unique than a city that just has a diverse population that's segregated.

There's so many Creoles, Voodoo, Spanish, Catholic, Native American, African descendants, West African Music, Haitian Slaves, West Indian, French, Southern European, African Mysticism, light-skinned, dark-skinned, mixtures in NO. It keeps one guessing what race, religion, nationality is X person you see on the street. Different, food, music, clothes, accents, funeral rites, etc. A very superstitious, mysterious city NO is. And yes, I can also tell a Black person from NO's accent pretty easily from other Black people's accent. They have a unique accent that's different from every other city, but it still sounds distinctly Southern, but not country.

Old 08-11-2012, 12:14 AM

20 posts, read 60,285 times
Take a streetcar down St. Charles Ave. where the mansions are. That's what I consider "the Old South." The inhabitants of these stately homes are people of wealth. The society pages of the Times-Picayune features debutantes whose lofty goals are chronicled at length. They are presented by their fathers (men of means) who expect them to marry someone of equal financial stature. The debutantes are part of a huge crux of social activities during Carnival season (Mardi Gras).

As a "commoner" I often wondered what life was like behind those hallowed walls of people I will never meet, but see their names/pictures often in the newspapers. I would assume they are aloof to people whose fathers aren't multi-milliionaires. Unless you're an Anne Rice or someone famous, (who BTW doesn't reside in New Orleans anymore), I really can't connect with people like that.

The Old South was preserved by Gen. Sherman during the Civil War, since he took up residence here. Whereas Atlanta was nearly destroyed by fire. Sherman's soldiers were incensed by southern women who dumped their waste pots onto the heads of Union soldiers.

Some say our accents remind them somewhat of Brooklyn, but with variations all our own. When one listens to Yat accents, we can never be accused of having a southern drawl, though I think that's pretty charming--e.g. Paula Deen.

Old 08-11-2012, 05:21 PM

3,072 posts, read 8,023,882 times
NoLa is so much its own place that I really can't find anywhere else to compare it with. It also has its own attitude about how life should be lived. So much the better for it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans