Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2012, 10:03 AM

2,311 posts, read 4,943,998 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLIMMACKEY View Post
Let me explain dear boy:

When engaged in friendly conversation in the N.O. and your "padner" says something of truth or relevance, the proper slang to respond would be "Huh Bruh"!!

Just something we grew up saying. Hope this helps.
Hum brah.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2012, 11:45 AM

16,507 posts, read 26,282,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neworleansisprettygood View Post
Hum brah.
I grew up saying it in BR. You're not from the boot....

Old 02-13-2012, 12:39 PM

Location: Formerly NYC by week; ATL by weekend...now Rio bi annually and ATL bi annually
1,522 posts, read 2,242,785 times
Quote:
Hum brah.
"Yeah you right!"

Old 02-13-2012, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
I grew up saying it in BR. You're not from the boot....
To be completely honest, I grew up in a subdivision in Algiers and mostly just hung out with other kids from the slacker crowd, so none of that language was used. It wasn't until I moved to the East Bank that I began hearing more and more Yat/New Orleans talk. The best thing I've heard so far is when the woman at the Burger King at Carrollton and Claiborne told me to wait a minute because they had to berl my burger. So charbroil-> broil->boil->berl. Quite a feat of linguistic imagination there.

Old 02-14-2012, 11:10 AM

Quote:
To be completely honest, I grew up in a subdivision in Algiers and mostly just hung out with other kids from the slacker crowd, so none of that language was used. It wasn't until I moved to the East Bank that I began hearing more and more Yat/New Orleans talk. The best thing I've heard so far is when the woman at the Burger King at Carrollton and Claiborne told me to wait a minute because they had to berl my burger. So charbroil-> broil->boil->berl. Quite a feat of linguistic imagination there.
I grew up in a suburb of BR.

Berl is a famous one.

Old 02-14-2012, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
I grew up in a suburb of BR.

Berl is a famous one.
I know that, but it's usually used for "boil", not "broil".

Old 02-14-2012, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Usually people pronounce boil and broil almost identically so it seems to just carry over.

Old 02-14-2012, 09:38 PM
cla

898 posts, read 3,307,151 times
"Ovuh by" - I'm going ovuh by my momma's
"Fixin' ta" - As in "I'm fixin ta go to Popeye's."
"stoop" - front porch
"Brake tag" - I have been in Houston long enough now that I say "inspection sticker"
"My-nez" - Mayonnaise
"I'm gonna pass a mop" - I'm going to mop the floor.
"Axe" - as in, "Axe me a question" (I went to college in Ft Worth - I got teased about saying "axe" so much that it was the first nola word in my vocabulary to get corrected - though I still drop my r's at the end of words)
"Fa-tru?" - Really?
"Yeah-ya-right"

And one that I miss the most - "go-cup?" :-)

What a nice trip down memory road this has been.

Old 02-15-2012, 11:01 PM

129 posts, read 316,625 times
Quote:
It seems to me like most people pronounce "boil" like "bowl" around here, lol. I'm sure everyone is laughing at me on a daily basis because I still say "New OrLEENS" and call Rouses "ROOses."

Old 02-16-2012, 07:23 AM

310 posts, read 854,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by summerwriter View Post
It seems to me like most people pronounce "boil" like "bowl" around here, lol. I'm sure everyone is laughing at me on a daily basis because I still say "New OrLEENS" and call Rouses "ROOses."
You'll get the hang of it. It took me about a year to get over my old habits. Even with constant correction from my husband who's been here for almost 20 years, it was still a bit of a struggle to not pronounce things like I did living in the Midwest.

I now use "y'all," "yeah you right," and "be there for...," like second nature and I didn't even work to insert them into my speech, it just started happening!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans