U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2012, 07:19 PM

4 posts, read 22,754 times

Advertisements

Hi:
My wife and I are thinking about moving to NOLA. I will be working for NOLA VA Medical Center located on Canal Street. Looking for a safe place to live and buy a house. Can do upto 30 minutes of commute and will have parking at VA medical center. Also i would appreciate if anyone can comment on property tax, home and auto insurance rates. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2012, 08:47 PM

10,996 posts, read 8,865,413 times
Do you want to live in the city or in the suburbs? A commute time of 30mins won't work from anywhere on the northshore, especially in rush hour traffic. Metairie would be the best bet other than the city.

Old 03-16-2012, 09:44 PM

2,233 posts, read 2,036,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Do you want to live in the city or in the suburbs? A commute time of 30mins won't work from anywhere on the northshore, especially in rush hour traffic. Metairie would be the best bet other than the city.
Don't think you would disagree with this, but this is addressed to the OP:

if you're going to live in New Orleans, and want less than a half-hour commute, you should really consider living within the city itself. Metairie at this point is a typical "first-ring car" suburb. Mostly built in the 60s, 70s, etc. and most of the nicer places in the metro are either a. further out (Northshore, but quite a commute) or b. further in (abundance of fine architecture in a city built in large part before the advent of widespread auto transportation). Another alternative would be Lakeview, which is a lot like Metairie but with a lot less of the nasty bits of living in an older suburb. Lots of new construction there, but the insurance would be pretty high, and houses can be pricey. Better commute than Metairie though, and less crowded overall while having more interesting things to do.

Sorry to go off on a rant, but I agree with Ballzack- "I don't go to Metairie unless I really have to" (he's a rapper from the west bank of the river, it's a satirical song that holds quite a bit of truth for many people).

Old 03-16-2012, 11:25 PM

239 posts, read 244,867 times
Northshore over Metairie? I think that's being a little harsh on Metairie. I mean, I generally agree. If you can find a place in the city, that's wonderful. But Metairie, as you said, it's an older suburb. So there are pockets to be found that are technically burbs but have a nice lived-in feel. And unlike a lot of suburbs there are places to live in Metarie that are relatively mixed use. A neighborhood restaurant just down the way. A nieghborhood bar. Granted these are the most authetic places relative to the city but at least your not buried out in the outback somewhere. Yes a lot of Metairie is ugly. Can't argue otherwise. But there are neighborhoods off Bonnabel, off Metarie Road, a few of Causeway, Cleary, W.Napolean, Kawanee, around East Jeff...very liveable and nice. Far from nasty.

And I'd also argue the point about the cummute. If all you're trying to do is get to Canal St. and you are in the eastern half of Metairie you are not bad off at all. Vets and especially airline hwy can serve you well. Believe me I'm the LAST dude to blow smoke about cummuting. I avoid it like the plague. But if you are east of Cleary and can stay off I-10 you are not in bad shape.

I'm just trying to provide some insight here. Again, there is just nothing like living in the city of New Orleans. I grew up in Old Algiers Point and it was awesome. But when you are looking for a place you are weighing many variables (especially if you're married!) and sometimes compromise carries the day so don't dismiss Metairie.

Old 03-17-2012, 01:01 AM

10,996 posts, read 8,865,413 times
Yes Metairie does have some parts that I like. Lakeview is an option too, forgot about that. Maybe on the westbank somewhere.

Old 03-17-2012, 08:09 PM

4 posts, read 22,754 times
Thank you all for the info.

Old 03-18-2012, 12:01 AM

2,233 posts, read 2,036,780 times
I got a little carried away, but here's some info that you actually asked for:

In the city proper, property taxes are 1.5%, but assuming that you will be living in whatever house you purchase there is a state homestead exemption that exempts you from taxes on the first $75k of value (other than the police and fire millages, which are applied to the total value).

Property taxes are quite high as a result of a certain recent event that shall go unnamed. Also don't forget that flood insurance is a must, as flooding is not covered by normal homeowner's insurance. Auto insurance rates are also some of the highest in the nation.

The cost of living here is still pretty low-I've never seen anything like a 10 dollar beer- but there are some factors of living here that may be a shock compared to things you are used to.

Old 03-19-2012, 02:20 PM

24 posts, read 45,637 times
Metairie to New Orleans is usually a 25 minute or less commute in the morning for me at 8am. New Orleans traffic is really not that bad compared to other major cities in the US. Northshore & Westbank all I have to say is good luck in traffic when there is an accident that shuts down the entire bridge and you are not moving for hours.

New Orleans has higher property tax, double the water bill, and automobile tax, poor police department, longer holds for 911 calls ( if they pick up - i called a few months ago and hung up after ringing over a minute )

Metairie has lower property taxes, $45 for 2 months water bill, no automobile taxes, great police department, quick 911 call pick ups - oh and less potholes.

Every area has its bad spots so drive around during the day and at night to get a feel for the area.

Homeowners insurance is really high right now. Any property within 2 miles of the lake, 60+ years old have higher rates. St. Farm & Allstate are not writing new policies right now all thanks to Katrina. Homeowners insurance will be at least $2000/ year and you need to get flood insurance which is another $500+ /year depending on your flood zone

You could move in Mid City between N. Jeff Davis - City park ave between canal st - orleans ave - thats a nice safe area. I wouldn't go on the south side unless its the 100 block 1 block off canal st. Than you could take the street car into work.

Old 07-01-2014, 02:02 PM

1 posts, read 1,698 times
Default Safest Neighborhood in New Orleans

I saw that you are inquiring as to the safest area in New Orleans. I suggest English Turn, a beautiful gated community. It is 8 miles from Downtown, a gated community, no crime, beautiful surroundings and you can get a lot for your money. If you have children, to me there is no other place to live - tennis courts, golf course, swimming pools, playgrounds, parks, car pool, shuttle service.

Takes about 20 minutes to get to VA Hospital in rush hour….

Old 07-01-2014, 09:47 PM

3,651 posts, read 2,722,577 times
I second English Turn.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans