Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-20-2012, 09:51 PM

208 posts, read 405,542 times

Advertisements

I was looking at some pictures of the FQ and Jackson Square posted by annie_himself on the General U.S. board in a thread about pedestrian-friendly areas in various cities. I noticed, what appeared to be some street vendors and am curious about them. In the pictures there weren't that many vendors, maybe two or three, but those I saw led me to believe that there is a pretty wide diversity in the types of street vendors. Also, I noticed a big difference in the type of set-ups they had; one was an old card table with a folding chair and a homemade sign located in the square with no apparent planning, while the others were slick, manufactured, multi-level booths which were colorfully and professional painted, accompanied by professional-grade signage and placed near what appeared to be a walkway.

So, this all got me wondering; it seems that tourism is a round-the-clock, throughout-the-year business there and the traffic would certainly justify a reasonable number of vendors at any given moment. Are vendors there and in other areas near the FQ, CBD and downtown on a pretty much constant basis or are they only allowed at farmers markets, festivals, concerts, etc., and at certain times?

I've read about everything from fortune tellers to pre-packaged foods to arts and crafts to cosmetics and costume jewelry being sold. I would like to hear from others who've actually been there, about the various types of vendors and goods and services they've seen offered there. The impression I'm getting is that it is sort of like a flea market with the booths or spaces spread out more, over a larger area.

Are there licenses, permits, etc., that must be purchased in advance by these vendors and if so, are they prohibitively expensive or otherwise difficult to obtain?

If a vendor needs something like, for example, electricity or running water, are there facilities to provide these things?

For those of you who are well-traveled, is New Orleans unique among U.S. cities for the number and variety of vendors, the degree of constancy in which they are present and the relative freedom they have to operate? What other city or cities are comparable, in this regard?

I know these are a lot of questions and I really appreciate the time and efforts of all who respond.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2012, 09:59 PM

208 posts, read 405,542 times
OH!!! And if anyone can refer me to some good sources of detailed information of any kind about street vendors in New Orleans, I would really appreciate it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans