U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Thanksgiving Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 03-23-2012, 06:47 AM

11 posts, read 10,782 times

Advertisements

We lived on the MS Gulf Coast prior to Katrina moving to the Memphis area after, not our preference but necessary. Our goal from the beginning was to get back on our feet and return to the area after our son graduates from high school, which will be in May. In this economy it is difficult to make plans and decide what is best for the whole family and still be able to maintain a decent standard of living. My husband lost his job in January so he has had to job search anyway and so his search extends to NOLA hoping something may come up that will lead us in the right direction.

Anyway as part of this grand plan is where our son will attend college. He wants to major in Fine Arts, Graphic Design and Loyola seems to have a good program. Does anyone have any information or opinions to share, either positive or negative concerning Loyola?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2012, 08:56 AM

239 posts, read 246,938 times
I can't provide any specifics but I've had good friends attend Loyola and none of them expressed any regrets about going there. Not sure how Loyola is viewed nationally but it has a very good reputation in the city, despite being situated right next to Tulane which is more of a 'name' university. It is in a very old New Orleans neighborhood. A beautiful setting for a school. On the street car line. Just a great environment. On that note there will be many things to distract him from his studies, of course that can be the case anywhere I suppose.

So, anecdotally, yes it's a good school with a good rep.

Old 03-23-2012, 10:18 AM

11,008 posts, read 8,956,169 times
I don't want to impose but graphic design as a major is a bad idea. Literally everything can be self-taught, I made the mistake of getting a loan for photography to learn what I already knew.

Old 03-23-2012, 04:37 PM

113 posts, read 243,639 times
i've been to a bunch of colleges, including tulane, and loyola is hands down my favorite one. it has the nicest people i've ever met - everyone from the professors to the students to the baristas are SO nice (mind you, i'm saying this as a northerner who is accustomed to universally aloof behavior. so maybe it won't impress you as much.) loyola is very small, in terms of population and campus size, and you run into people you know all the time, which i liked. it has the most homey feel of any college i've attended or visited. they are right next door to tulane so you can bounce between the campuses (thankfully, you don't need to for coffee, because loyola made the smart choice to put in a CC's) but loyola has a more intimate and easygoing atmosphere IMO. it's expensive, but their FA package was extraordinarily generous so i was able to attend; i'm guessing they provide enough aid for everyone they accept.

their arts programs hold a lot of prestige. i can't comment on graphic arts in particular. it seems like a lot of people at loyola are either artists or pre-med, so it makes for an interesting mix. (i've got to comment that i only attended one semester and i disliked 2/3 of my classes. in one the teacher was incompetent, and in the other the teacher went too overboard for a beginner class and everyone barely made D's. no college is perfect though, and you're always going to have classes/teachers you don't like. i think i just had bad luck that semester.)

even though they're small, there's more going on there than you can keep up with, in terms of student clubs, volunteer trips, concerts, visiting speakers, etc. etc. so you get the best of both worlds, IMO - one-on-one relationships with everyone and all the resources anyone needs to succeed in college, explore careers, and also have a lot of fun. i can't recommend loyola more highly!

Old 03-23-2012, 05:23 PM

81 posts, read 91,881 times
Great school, high tuition, a degree lacking any national prestige. Does a degree from Loyola generate more opportunity or earnings than a substantially cheaper state education? That's the question.

Old 03-23-2012, 07:25 PM

11,008 posts, read 8,956,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChappyWhiteGuy View Post
Great school, high tuition, a degree lacking any national prestige. Does a degree from Loyola generate more opportunity or earnings than a substantially cheaper state education? That's the question.
Probably so, Loyola has schools across the US so in willing to bet they are more well known and respected versus Nichols or Southeastern.

Old 03-24-2012, 09:33 AM

11 posts, read 10,782 times
Thanks for the great comments everyone. I keep hearing that Loyola is prestigious and I am inclined to agree. The quality of the arts program and the small size of the school are both things we are looking for. The tuition isn't cheap. I think there is a good chance that my husband would be able to find a good job in the area versus other areas in this economy. As for the value of a graphic design degree -I think in these uncertain economic times even a med or law school grad wouldn't necessarily find a job easily. If you have passion for and are good at something you can succeed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans