Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2014, 09:05 AM

16,508 posts, read 26,297,887 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NativeSon504 View Post
Trust me when I tell you this no matter what statistics say NOLA is nowhere near as dangerous as is was in '94 as matter of fact its no where near as dangerous as it was in the ENTIRE 90's. That decade was unbelievably DANGEROUS.
Yeah I wasn't old enough to understand at that time. It's crazy how a city so small can manage such numbers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2014, 09:50 AM

712 posts, read 1,092,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sconley9922 View Post
I remember in 94 I was at McD 35
I see we have a fellow Roneagle on the board

Old 02-17-2014, 11:41 AM

639 posts, read 820,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Yeah I wasn't old enough to understand at that time. It's crazy how a city so small can manage such numbers.

Tell me about it, population of Orleans Parish in the 90's was a half a million.

Old 02-17-2014, 12:48 PM

643 posts, read 977,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoDatInMD View Post
I see we have a fellow Roneagle on the board
Yessir!

Old 02-18-2014, 12:19 PM

94 posts, read 220,295 times
I don't think it was 1994, but I remember a security camera at a car wash catching a helluva AK-47 battle one night in the later 90's.

Old 02-18-2014, 12:31 PM

2,311 posts, read 4,945,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goosenola View Post
I don't think it was 1994, but I remember a security camera at a car wash catching a helluva AK-47 battle one night in the later 90's.
I think was actually '04 or so, but something tells me it might have actually been post-k, 2007/...

Found the story. It was 2003 http://blog.nola.com/times-picayune/...ash_shoot.html

Old 02-18-2014, 08:49 PM

Location: Formerly NYC by week; ATL by weekend...now Rio bi annually and ATL bi annually
1,522 posts, read 2,243,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goosenola View Post
2003 OR 2004. Retaliatory shooting. They had the wrong dudes though...mistaken identity. That was a Calliope beef......

Old 02-21-2014, 02:54 AM

6 posts, read 19,434 times
I'm from Natchitoches, but I use to travel to New Orleans a lot in the late 90s and early 2000s. I work with a crooked azz used car salesman to pick up cars and haul them back up. So we were down almost every Thur thru Saturday. I just remember the city was so live! So damn live! Everywhere people were outside, felt like a million people out, especially coming from Natchitoches. We'd pass thru bumping music all thru the 9th, the Iberville, uptown, downtown, the Fischer Project, the St. Thomas all over, girls would start dance and twerking. Some would always hop in with us. It was all love. It's was really cool. There was a lot of goons around then. Scary looking dudes. I remember dudes doing heroin like it was cool. That's why they was so wild. We met a lot of good folks in the hoods. We know it was dangerous, but we were strapped and didn't stay in unfamiliar hoods too long w/o knowing anyone. It was bad, but it wasn't if you wasn't robbing and slinging dope. I miss the pre-Katrina Nola.

Honest, all over Louisiana was hard back then. We use to go to Baton Rouge, Alexandria and Shreveport. Goons everywhere. Poverty was so bad back then, everybody in the hood was slinging dope and/or robbing. Even small Natchitoches was wild back. Dopewars. There was a lot of bad, back in the day, but a lot of good times tho.

Old 02-26-2014, 02:31 PM

32 posts, read 42,725 times
I was there but I was a young man in that environment and it didn't seem any different to me that any other year. That being said, I don't even feel safe when I go there now because maybe I'm wiser. My cousin(female) and I used to ride our bikes to the Algiers ferry, and sit out there and toke it up and never felt unsafe. Also rode my bike many times to City Park, yeah from Algiers(I know kinda far, but when you're young you can do that), and never had a problem. I think most of the crime is retaliation, but sometimes stuff happens to innocent people of course.

Old 03-05-2014, 01:07 AM

2,054 posts, read 3,341,785 times
My memories of New Orleans go back to my teen years in the late 60's. It's always been a dangerous city, but when Bobby Kennedy went after Carlos Marcello and had him deported, the crime rate went way up and has stayed up. Say what you will about the mob, they understood that a high crime rate discourages tourism, which cuts into their money. You need one powerful group to control crime (and the always notorious on-the-take N.O. police). W/ the mob gone you see what happened. All these independent, violent amateurs took over and the crime has been out of control ever since. There's a reason they call it ORGANIZED crime. You are always going to have crime. Me, I want the pros to run it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans