U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2012, 06:51 AM

270 posts, read 257,766 times
3 shootings in one day and you saying there is no chance he will get shot? New Orleans has one of the highest per capita murder rates in the country. I commend Mayor Landrieu for making his administration a focus on this serious issue.

Um yeah, don't believe that you have no chance of getting shot.. It's the harsh reality that New Orleans is one of the most violent crimes in America. I will say I love visiting the city, but would never live there. You may want to check out the North shore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo_1 View Post
First off about the only chance you have of getting shot is if your involved in drugs or live in bad neighborhood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2012, 07:47 AM

810 posts, read 792,550 times
Yes, and New Orleans has one of the highest percentage of residents living below poverty threshold which is an ongoing problem. However, there are plenty of higher income areas throughout the city that are perfectly safe. By safe I mean "city safe". Obviously it's not going to be as safe as living on a farm in Kansas. You still need to lock your doors and be aware of your surroundings as you would in any major city.

Unless you're dealing drugs or living in a poverty stricken neighborhood, your chances of dying from a gunshot wound in New Orleans are no greater than your chances of dying in a car wreck in Houston.

If you're going to move to the North Shore, you might as well keep going all the way to Chicago. I mean, why put up with the high cost of insurance, hurricanes, poor infrastructure, and Louisiana politics if you're just going to live in the same type of exurban area that exists outside of other major cities around the country? There are much nicer neighborhoods like that to be had for similar or less money.

Old 05-31-2012, 08:40 AM

270 posts, read 257,766 times
Really? Comparing the North Shore to Chicago? The North Shore is a much better place to live than New Orleans for many reasons.
-little or no violent crime
-much better schools
-much better family atmosphere away from all of the drunks and crazy people
-better churches

Like i said, I love spending time in New Orleans during the day. However at night, there is no way I'm living there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rburnett View Post
If you're going to move to the North Shore, you might as well keep going all the way to Chicago. I mean, why put up with the high cost of insurance, hurricanes, poor infrastructure, and Louisiana politics if you're just going to live in the same type of exurban area that exists outside of other major cities around the country? There are much nicer neighborhoods like that to be had for similar or less money.

Old 05-31-2012, 09:15 AM

16,149 posts, read 29,268,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoDat2011 View Post
Really? Comparing the North Shore to Chicago? The North Shore is a much better place to live than New Orleans for many reasons.
-much better schools
-better churches

Like i said, I love spending time in New Orleans during the day. However at night, there is no way I'm living there.
You don't live in N.O. and really don't know what you are talking about. We are all familiar with your bias against the city but newcomers to the forum don't. Please let others who DO know the city well speak of it.

Old 05-31-2012, 09:31 AM

810 posts, read 792,550 times
I think you missed my point. I'm not comparing the north shore to Chicago.

If someone is considering moving to New Orleans, they're probably looking for an denser urban area with interesting architecture, transit and walk-ability which is hard to find across the south (and most of the country for that matter). The north shore has none of that. There are pockets of that in large cities in the south, but nothing compared to the big cities in the northeast, Midwest or west coast. Abandoning New Orleans for fear of crime to go to the north shore just ridiculous because it's completely different. One would have to go all the way to Chicago to find a large swath of well connected walkable urbanized neighborhoods comparable to New Orleans. We are the jewel of the south in that regard.

On the other hand, if someone is interested in an exurban area like the north shore, then I'm saying that there are much better versions of that outside of other big cities in the south and around the country for similar or less money. Again, why put up with all of south Louisiana's issues if you're going to live somewhere that's almost indistinguishable with the rest of the south? If I ever leave New Orleans, it won't be for Covington or Mandeville.

If you have a lot of family that you're trying to stay close to, I can somewhat understand. But why move all the way across the country to the north shore when there are similar areas just like that elsewhere only with better infrastructure, better schools, no hurricane risk and even less crime.

There are no drunks or crazy people in my neighborhood and we have some damn nice churches, btw.

Old 05-31-2012, 03:35 PM

563 posts, read 411,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoDat2011 View Post
-much better schools
-better churches

We have no children and are not religious. Should we move to the North Shore? Oh wait, maybe we are the crazy people.

Old 05-31-2012, 04:06 PM

19 posts, read 15,413 times
Is the area near Cambronne and Panola in zip 70118 safe for a new transplant single black woman? I would be commuting to Ochsner Jefferson Highway

Old 05-31-2012, 04:26 PM

709 posts, read 484,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocksteady78 View Post
Is the area near Cambronne and Panola in zip 70118 safe for a new transplant single black woman? I would be commuting to Ochsner Jefferson Highway
I think that spot should be alright. It can go a little downhill once you go farther away from Carrolton Avenue and on the other side of Claiborne Avenue (not including the other side of Carrolton Avenue which is still a good area for the most part) but your spot should be fine I believe. Plus Carrolton Avenue is beautiful, Streetcar line, the neighborhood on the other side of Carrolton is good, Palmer Park is nice, and there are many amenities nearby.

Last edited by Jimbo_1; 05-31-2012 at 04:35 PM..

Old 05-31-2012, 04:37 PM

19 posts, read 15,413 times
Thanks for the response, guess I better research commute times...

Old 05-31-2012, 04:42 PM

2,206 posts, read 1,885,772 times
I hadn't read this thread up until now...

if the OP is still reading, do NOT rent at St. Charles and Fern. I know exactly what building that is and the landlord is horrible beyond belief. She even had a "6 on your side" story about her. I used to live in one of her apartments and the amount of trickery she involves herself in is unbelievable. Plus her apartments are all ****holes. She has properties in nice areas but she's a slumlord and pathological liar. She tried to sue me after I moved out of her place, and she never gave any deposits back to anyone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans