Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2012, 01:09 AM

13 posts, read 29,115 times

Advertisements

I mean no offense to anyone and I am trying to keep an open mind but every time I put in an Uptown address from a Craigslist ad into Google Maps I feel like I'm looking at the hood.

If I did the same for good neighborhoods in cities like Austin or Atlanta or DC, then the housing and street look normal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2012, 02:13 AM

13 posts, read 32,550 times
New Orleans has a lot of different neighborhoods. There are many lovely neighborhoods and some not so great. Try the zipcode 70124 (Lakeview), anything in the Garden District, Old Metarie (just outside of NOLA city limits) and you'll find some nicer looking houses. Some areas are better than after since Katrina (such as Carrollton area) and City Park area. Some areas have not come back well. Before you rent visit first.

Old 06-08-2012, 07:03 AM

1,581 posts, read 3,851,742 times
Most of the Google street views were done in the early 2007 time frame. Guess what happened in New Orleans in Aug/Sept 2005? Katrina! In early 2007 many neighborhoods were being rebuilt or just reoccupied by residents. So yeah, it looks bad. Unfortunately you can't use it as a real indication of what the place looks like today. The only places that have maintained their "image" are those which didn't experience a lot of damage during Katrina (mostly Uptown.) I had the same problem when I was trying to relocate. My advice is to visit, ask questions from people in the know (current residents) and keep an open mind.

Old 06-08-2012, 02:59 PM

814 posts, read 1,474,267 times
Also Uptown is a very large and varying neighborhood. So those Google streetview images might actually be in the "hood" or just not in a well kept area. Also many areas have a lot of renters and a lot of times it is not the property owner's biggest priority to keep thier houses exterior spiffy looking and in tip-top shape.

Old 06-08-2012, 07:18 PM

32 posts, read 122,102 times
Before I moved here I used Google street view to look up various addresses and homes that I was interested in renting, and I had the same experience as you. I even "viewed" the school that I would be teaching at and was amazed at how rough the area looked. When I actually made it down here, I was very confused because what I saw on Google did not match what I was looking at in person. Even the area where my school is looks ten times nicer than what it looks on Google street maps. So I assumed that the images were old...which sucks really. While the Google maps give you an idea of the area, seeing the same places in person may impress you more.

Old 06-09-2012, 11:41 AM

640 posts, read 1,225,166 times
Yeah, the images are old on Streetview. So much has changed in the last 2 years even that it's not really a reliable source for checking out a neighborhood. Also, NOLA is also a grittier city than most in America.

Old 06-12-2012, 06:36 AM

268 posts, read 743,717 times
That's easy....look down in the bottom of the google street view window and look at the photography dates....all just
a very short time after Katrina. A lot of people roll their eyes when anyone mentions Katrina. The country is tired of
hearing about Katrina this and Katrina that. But NO can't just close it's eyes and wish it away as easily. MOUNTAINS
of garbage and debris were created, half the city was underwater for weeks. Not up to the floor, up near the CEILING!
You don't just spray Febreeze on that and move on. Hundreds of thousands of homes were gutted to the studs and
re-built, as many as that were torn down COMPLETELY, and all that MATERIAL WAS left lying in the street for years.
Weeds, Rats, garbage, it's all there on Google Maps. New Orleans was never New England to begin with. The roads
were always crap, people's cars always leaked oil, they use shells for gravel roads that make white dust that gets
on everything. pLANTS grow SO FAST that it's a daily struggle to keep control of your property. You add all that up
and it looks like crap. But if Google were to go in again and re-shoot the city, most of it would look better.
Sadly a lot of it would look about the same. I am sorry in that it is clear that your question was answered many times
already, but I have definite opinions on it, some militantly Katrin-ized, and I was not even there when it happened.
But my love for the city made me more empathetic.

Old 06-12-2012, 04:24 PM

1,734 posts, read 5,685,533 times
New Orleans also doesn't have hi-def street view yet. The low-def street view looks blurry and unpleasant compared to the hi-def imagery in other cities.

Old 06-12-2012, 07:06 PM

3,236 posts, read 3,936,325 times
Google never updates Street View in America anymore, they're mostly focusing on other countries like Russia now. They have images on there like 5 years old in a lot of places.

Old 06-12-2012, 10:26 PM

71 posts, read 184,819 times
I saw a street view car here in Baton Rouge about a year ago, so I guess they're still updating.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans