U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 07-26-2012, 09:47 PM

156 posts, read 77,819 times
Default Commuting between nola and northshore

Hi everyone,
How doable is it to work in the CBD and live in Mandeville or Covington? I'm considering moving back closer to home and would be looking for a job at a mid to large sized law firm (crossing my fingers), but honestly the crime has me pretty worried. I don't think I'd be able to manage living alone in the city (though I did and was just fine back in 2004-2005. It seems like things have gotten worse. I'd want to live uptown or in the garden district and I've been hearing about so many robberies and car jackings lately in that area) How bad is the traffic between the north shore and the cbd? My idea would be to just go to work in the city during the week, come back home and relax at my place (which is normally what I do anyway- I pretty much stay in week nights), and then go back into nola for the weekends to enjoy the city. Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 07-26-2012, 10:54 PM

9,991 posts, read 6,655,056 times
If you like commuting and the suburbs then it's like anywhere else. Roughly an hour each way, lots of gas, and lots of slow traffic.
I would live in the city, especially if I worked in the city. You won't be an anymore danger than you were pre-storm.

Unread 07-26-2012, 11:27 PM

Thanks Annie, that's good info. I was wondering how long the commute would be. I can handle an hour one way. I do that now and sometimes it's even an hour and fifteen minutes. Not that I like it, but it's not a deal breaker for me. Mandeville looks really charming in the pictures. I'm going to have to visit next time I go home to visit my parents.

Unread 07-26-2012, 11:30 PM

You like the 'burbs? You seem relatively young and single is why I'm asking. Somewhat of a house arrest sentence to me.

Unread 07-26-2012, 11:31 PM

No, I actually really like being in the middle of the action. I just don't think I'd feel safe living alone in New Orleans. I hear too much about all the crime going on. It's scary.

Unread 07-26-2012, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris1917 View Post
No, I actually really like being in the middle of the action. I just don't think I'd feel safe living alone in New Orleans. I hear too much about all the crime going on. It's scary.
There are lots of new transplants in your position. If you don't sell dope or hang around with people who do, you will be fine. Property crimes and petty crimes will happen everywhere. You said you would travel into the city on weekends, that's when lots of crimes take place, other than the dedicated shootings. Maybe Metairie or Algiers is more your flavor.

Unread 07-27-2012, 08:00 AM

15,669 posts, read 25,632,045 times
It would be well over an hour unless there is fog iron an accident. I lived in Metairie right off the Causeway and lake and commuted to Covington. Took me about 40 min on a normal day. Add the 30 plus min in commuter traffic to the CB D once you''re off the bridge. Look in Metairie or Caravan if you just won't do New Orleans proper.

You have to go north of I-12 to be out of the flood zone. A lot of Mandeville flooded in Katrina.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Unread 07-27-2012, 08:32 AM

Thanks for the info you guys. I would consider Metairie, but it sounds like Metairie has almost as much crime as New Orleans. Is it really not that bad? What's the commute like from Metairie to the CBD during rush hour? I've been back and forth many a time but never during rush hour, which is why I ask.

Unread 07-27-2012, 08:43 AM

Also, I'm not really concerned about flooding. I'll just be renting an apartment.

Unread 07-27-2012, 10:47 AM

642 posts, read 365,840 times
If you dont mind the long commute then you can go with Mandeville. You could also try the Slidell area out becuase I think that should be a shorter commute. I think the crime really is not that bad. As long as you live in the right area and are smart you should be fine in either New Orleans or Metairie.

Last edited by Jimbo_1; 07-27-2012 at 11:21 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans