U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Merry Christmas!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Thread summary:

New Orleans: hotels, Louisiana superdome, job market, Mardi Gras.

 
 
Old 09-26-2006, 03:42 AM
 
Location: FL
1,318 posts, read 4,126,115 times
Reputation: 801

Advertisements

I just wanted to say WELCOME BACK NEW ORLEANS!!!!!!!!
I know you have FAAAAAR to go, but what a GREAT symbol of recovery that The Superdome was magnificently rebuilt & that The Saints are playing to match!
Other than some die hard Falcons fans, I truly believe the whole country was rooting for The Big Easy's TEAM!
CONGRATS!!! We're rooting for you !!!!!!!!
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-26-2006, 06:55 AM
 
480 posts, read 2,100,405 times
Reputation: 155
I think they should have spent the money on other things first. Wrong priorities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elfyum View Post
I just wanted to say WELCOME BACK NEW ORLEANS!!!!!!!!
I know you have FAAAAAR to go, but what a GREAT symbol of recovery that The Superdome was magnificently rebuilt & that The Saints are playing to match!
Other than some die hard Falcons fans, I truly believe the whole country was rooting for The Big Easy's TEAM!
CONGRATS!!! We're rooting for you !!!!!!!!
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-26-2006, 10:00 AM
 
Location: The Big D
14,874 posts, read 24,004,047 times
Reputation: 5787
Quote:
Originally Posted by Check123 View Post
I think they should have spent the money on other things first. Wrong priorities.
I had the same thoughts at first but then further thought about it. Rebuilding the Superdome helped give some life back to the city. Boost the morale and get people pumped and excited about something to go back to. Rebuilding helped create jobs, as long as those jobs to build were by residents which I hope many were. The people that work the concessions and other jobs related to activities at the Superdome are surely residents. Here is hoping and praying that the rebuilding of the Superdome is just what the people of New Orleans needed to give them something that is positive about their city.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-26-2006, 11:36 AM
 
480 posts, read 2,100,405 times
Reputation: 155
The morale will be short lived; football season is only 16 weeks long. The money should have been used to rebuild hospitals, schools, and take on other projects that would have returned long term benefits.

The jobs created by the Superdome are also short lived, and low paying. N.O. needs long term good paying jobs, the kind that would bring families back to the area. No one is going to return to N.O. just to get a job making peanuts by selling peanuts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
I had the same thoughts at first but then further thought about it. Rebuilding the Superdome helped give some life back to the city. Boost the morale and get people pumped and excited about something to go back to. Rebuilding helped create jobs, as long as those jobs to build were by residents which I hope many were. The people that work the concessions and other jobs related to activities at the Superdome are surely residents. Here is hoping and praying that the rebuilding of the Superdome is just what the people of New Orleans needed to give them something that is positive about their city.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-26-2006, 01:22 PM
 
Location: The Big D
14,874 posts, read 24,004,047 times
Reputation: 5787
Quote:
Originally Posted by Check123 View Post
The morale will be short lived; football season is only 16 weeks long. The money should have been used to rebuild hospitals, schools, and take on other projects that would have returned long term benefits.

The jobs created by the Superdome are also short lived, and low paying. N.O. needs long term good paying jobs, the kind that would bring families back to the area. No one is going to return to N.O. just to get a job making peanuts by selling peanuts.
Have you ever been to New Orleans or know people from there? The jobs in, or rather were in N.O. are not and never have been high paying. Most only pay "peanuts". It has been an area that survived on touristy type jobs: hotels, restaurants, tour guides, bars, etc and all the jobs that go w/ those. Very few are the "professionals" that make the big bucks. They were also a type of people that were happy to be living "hand to mouth" and living w/ extended family in their families old house. They had no need for any of the "finer things" in life that the rest of the country is constantly seeking. Just look at the posts and where the people that are wanting to move for a better life are from. Not many from N.O. Why? Because being near and with their family was all they needed. No need for personal cars as parking in N.O. is outragous to say the least if it could even be found. They had a decent public transportation system that served the community.

Yes, football season is only temporary but it will help bring people back to the city to revive the jobs that were once predominate in that city. I would like to see the schools, hospitals and housing being rebuilt but maybe what was needed was for the tourists to come back to see what is still lacking and to give to help get them back on their feet. This was one way to do it and for it to be seen nationally. Reopening of a school or hospital is not going to be on primetime tv for 3 hours for the world to see and to get excited about. Sad but true as that is what our culture has become and sports are on a pedistal. Just getting the team and the players back into N.O. should help in the rebuilding.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-26-2006, 01:30 PM
 
2,152 posts, read 7,186,286 times
Reputation: 648
I wish the Indianapolis Colts had Reggie Bush.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-26-2006, 10:42 PM
 
480 posts, read 2,100,405 times
Reputation: 155
What about the jobs created at the schools and hospitals that exist all year long? Jobs at the city's health facilities alone would easily exceed all jobs created at the Superdome.

Their priorities have to change. Going to a football game is great, so long as you have a home to go to afterwards.

Rebuilding the Superdome is a symbol of recovery, but it's not recovery in itself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
Have you ever been to New Orleans or know people from there? The jobs in, or rather were in N.O. are not and never have been high paying. Most only pay "peanuts". It has been an area that survived on touristy type jobs: hotels, restaurants, tour guides, bars, etc and all the jobs that go w/ those. Very few are the "professionals" that make the big bucks. They were also a type of people that were happy to be living "hand to mouth" and living w/ extended family in their families old house. They had no need for any of the "finer things" in life that the rest of the country is constantly seeking. Just look at the posts and where the people that are wanting to move for a better life are from. Not many from N.O. Why? Because being near and with their family was all they needed. No need for personal cars as parking in N.O. is outragous to say the least if it could even be found. They had a decent public transportation system that served the community.

Yes, football season is only temporary but it will help bring people back to the city to revive the jobs that were once predominate in that city. I would like to see the schools, hospitals and housing being rebuilt but maybe what was needed was for the tourists to come back to see what is still lacking and to give to help get them back on their feet. This was one way to do it and for it to be seen nationally. Reopening of a school or hospital is not going to be on primetime tv for 3 hours for the world to see and to get excited about. Sad but true as that is what our culture has become and sports are on a pedistal. Just getting the team and the players back into N.O. should help in the rebuilding.

Last edited by Check123; 09-26-2006 at 11:00 PM..
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-27-2006, 09:12 AM
 
28 posts, read 53,335 times
Reputation: 15
Initially, I was thinking the same thing....why rebuild the Dome, I can't live in the Dome?? But as the day of the game approached, it reminded me of the way things were and it felt real good. I am currently living in another state and I travelled to New Orleans just to watch the game there. I could have watched it where I was but I had to be there. I can't explain how good it felt to see the Saints make their entrance in our Dome.

Don't get me wrong, I understand where you're coming from. I felt the same way about Mardi Gras and Jazzfest. But if nothing else, for me, when I saw that game Monday, things felt normal again. And even though the game did not last forever, I felt that this was a sign that everything will be normal once again.

Restoring the Superdome may not have been my first choice but it feels good. And hopefully, just as they are able to host the Saints games, they'll be able to host the tons of other events there too. I used to work at the Dome for four years, the Saints games where only a small percent of the events that went on there.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
Similar Threads
View detailed profiles of:

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top