Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-30-2012, 05:29 PM

1 posts, read 4,234 times

Advertisements

Hello,
I'll be moving to Louisiana from Tampa within the next year and would like to get an idea of which neighborhoods in proximity to New Orleans have good public schools, homes, neighborhoods, etc? I'm a mother of two school aged children who will be attending graduate school at Tulane and dorms will not work in my situation. Could anyone advise on an area or neighborhood that would work? I've traveled to NOLA several times and feel in love with the place, but I'm afraid I've only received a taste of the touristy places and not the actual, everyday place. Thank you for your advice!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2012, 09:55 AM

310 posts, read 854,486 times
How far are you willing to commute to school? Even out in the suburbs, public schools are not the greatest. Destrehan and Hahnville are public schools I'd be willing sen kids to, also the North shore has decent schools.

Old 09-01-2012, 09:03 PM

605 posts, read 1,054,181 times
Also, what does your budget look like? Will you be working in the area? What sort of after hours activities are you and your family interested in?

Which part of Tampa did you live in? We moved here from Tampa last year so might be able to suggest a comparable neighborhood if that's what you're looking for.

Old 09-14-2012, 05:43 AM

20 posts, read 60,253 times
Uptown near Tulane is pricey. Broadmoor has character, and fairly close to the university. I wouldn't characterize it as "suburban" since it's location is in the city, but it has a distinct feel of the suburbs. The homes are not cookie cutter types. Most are large, but some have been designed for multi-family rentals, mixed in with home owners. Not sure what school district but a very nice area. It has an excellent neighborhood association, one of the few who didn't wait for FEMA to help them rebuild after Katrina, but the residents accomplished much of the restoration of the neighborhood themselves collectively. The mayor of New Orleans, Mitch Landrieu's family still lives there, and is where he grew up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
View detailed profiles of: