Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2012, 12:06 PM

639 posts, read 820,514 times

Advertisements

Okay I live in Lafayette which is a nice place but sometimes I get aggravated by some of the negative comments directed towards New Orleans itself and/or people who are from New Orleans. Does anybody ever experience this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2012, 03:13 PM

1,097 posts, read 2,339,431 times
All the time.

There are some parts of the country that I'm not too fond of, but I don't go on their message boards, bash them and tell everyone not to go there. It seems to be a regular occurance around here.

Old 09-26-2012, 03:32 PM

Well I get aggravated with people from other states who try diss NOLA but I REALLY get aggravated with people from other parts of LOUISIANA who try to diss NOLA. It just sounds like when there talking it almost comes across as jealousy and envy, like their in some type of competition with NOLA. I here that junk often here in Lafayette.

Old 09-26-2012, 03:46 PM

1,554 posts, read 3,031,800 times
We're the big, bad city basically. They wanna come party here but they're often quite terrified. But among people who graduated with me (UL Lafayette 2009) and in the years onwards, they seem be flocking here for jobs. Maybe that exchange will lessen the tension. Also in their defense, a lot of sketchy New Orleans people went to ULL (I don't mean Katrina migrants). All my friends were from Acadiana when I went to school over there.

Old 09-26-2012, 03:58 PM

I feel ya aab7855. But tell me what you mean by alot of sketchy New Orleans people went to ULL?

Old 09-26-2012, 04:13 PM

16,507 posts, read 26,285,643 times
This is always the case with the largest city in the state, for example, Miami, Chicago, New York City, Los Angeles/San Francisco, Seattle, Portland, etc. Especially when the city is politically against the rest of the state and hold much of the power.

Old 09-26-2012, 04:57 PM

1,554 posts, read 3,031,800 times
I don't know, I just didn't meet a lot of people from New Orleans over there who were cool. Maybe I'm a snob or something. I just ended up hanging out with people from the region. A lot of really bright people from Lafayette wanted to stick around so they went to ULL, whereas it seemed like a lot of the New Orleans people went there because they didn't have better options. I chose to go there and I thought I had an awesome education, so I'm not trying to slight it or anything. I don't feel like anyone where I am from (Uptown, yeah I know it's stuck up) thinks good things about ULL, they're tied to Ole Miss, Bama, LSU, Tulane, etc.

Old 09-26-2012, 05:00 PM

53 posts, read 121,405 times
I often feel the same way about Shreveport-Bossier, but I have to tell you I feel NO animosity toward New Orleans. I don't go down there as often as I'd like, but I love it. Had Katrina destroyed it entirely, it would have taken a part of me away.

Old 09-26-2012, 05:10 PM

3,071 posts, read 8,018,997 times
Why no, I haven't seen anyone say from north La bash NO on this board. I never have and I know what an interesting city it is. Maybe I haven't read the NOLA forum enough and someone I never see on any of the others may be bashing the city. They have problems if they do that, that's for sure. To h*** with em'!

Old 09-26-2012, 09:19 PM

Personally I feel like the media has played a major role in how people across the state and country view us. I know we have had a bad reputation for corruption, crime, poor education etc. but man after Katrina the media was potraying us like we where the second coming to Iraq and all these folks drank the kool aid. I know my beloved NOLA isn't perfect and has many things she needs to get better at doing but I think she is moving in the right direction (just need to work harder on reducing VIOLENT CRIME especially) even if its small steps. For those out there who may find this hard to believe NOLA folks in GENERAL are some of the most down to earth people you will ever encounter. Can I get a AMEN?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans