Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-08-2012, 08:21 AM

799 posts, read 1,549,104 times

Advertisements

I am sick of hearing about Katrina and how New Orleans is poised for inevitable destruction.

I currently live in SoCal but travel to New Orleans quite a bit for work (film shoots). It is a commonly held belief by some of my cronies that the city is two hairs away from sinking into the Gulf, being destroyed by the next storm or generally imploding in some weather related way.

From what I know, the failures during Katrina were man made. But this falls on deaf ears. People keep gabbing about something they know nothing about. I feel like this kind of marketing hurts the city-- businesses are frightened to invest, people are frightened to move in, etc. I know there are risks, but hell, there are risks in Miami and even NYC and you don't hear about THOSE cities shutting down.

What do you all suggest as a come back to some of this negative, fear mongering crap?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2012, 04:19 PM

1,291 posts, read 1,522,213 times
"Do you know how massive of a hurricane Katrina was?"

"Did you know New Orleans has a water pumping system that can equal the flow of the Ohio River?"

"The city has only flooded two or three times in the past 50 years, including Katrina. Pretty good for the most rain sodden city in the US if you ask me!"

"Oh... so you're not worried about Earthquakes?"

"Dallas is more at risk of being destroyed than New Orleans... you don't see people running from it, do you?"

"... Because people should run from New York because of Hurricane Sandy!"

"Cool.. more of their great food for me "

Old 12-14-2012, 09:13 AM

268 posts, read 743,717 times
Some of the fear-mongering is true. NO is sinking. NO, if everything doesn't work as advertised,
will be devastated again. But sinking is the last thing people care about where investment is concerned.
They are not a fan of being mugged, having their fence covered with graffiti, etc. They don't want to
bring their kids to a place where in order to be left alone to learn, their children will need to privately
educated. New Orleans is not going away until it washes away. Perhaps the govt will not be too keen
on re-building it over and over, but the PEOPLE there WILL. it is one of the oldest cities in the US, it is
easily the most cosmopolitan, it is so rich in history it is crumbling from the weight of it all. It is magic
made of mortar, lath and moss. Fear will never bring the city down as long as people want to BE there.
Investment, ehh, it would be nice. But until the oil runs out, it will be fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans