Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2013, 12:15 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,312,844 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdg92 View Post
New Orleans has the LARGEST shipping port in the entire country.
Not to nit-pick but it's actually the Port of South Louisiana which stretches from metro NO to metro BR. Port of NO is in the top 10 though.

Old 01-20-2013, 12:33 PM

1,557 posts, read 3,306,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayNagin504 View Post
I find New Orleans, Louisiana very depressing being a native of the torn city. I have lived in New Orleans from 1986 to 2005, just days before Hurricane Katrina. I have since relocated to south Florida and have never looked back. I find the New Orleans and surrounding areas extremely racist mostly towards African Americans. Poverty, crime, corruption and the educational system is among the worst in the nation. Let's not forget the pothole ridden streets. How can people live in a city knowing your police force can't stop crime or protect you against it? Not to mention the police force (NOPD) being one of the roots of corruption. CNN, reported the New Orleans was ranked 21st of the most dangerous cties in the world. Everytime you turn on the news someone has been shot, killed, robbed, or raped. I have never read so many negative news articles about politicians that have been thrown in prison for corruption mostly (stealing) than the ones in New Orleans, LA. The education system is beyond terrible and most students are not even able to pass high school level exit exams (LEAP) in order to graduate. Where did all the FEMA go? It's been 7 years since hurricane Katina and the city streets are still filled with massive pot holes and there are still vacant condemned houses in the east and lower 9th ward. I wouldn't expect to find so many pot holes in areas like uptown (Riverside, Audubon, St. Charles) since this is where your upper class residents reside. With a homeless population estimated at almost 6,700, the New Orleans metro area this has become the second-highest rate of homelessness in the nation. What is the city doing to fix this issue?
If you only see the the negative how do you expect to see the positive? NOLA is also a very historical town with mad culture. It also has some of the most unique architecture. The people have personality and their own style.

Old 01-20-2013, 09:11 PM

29 posts, read 53,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Not to nit-pick but it's actually the Port of South Louisiana which stretches from metro NO to metro BR. Port of NO is in the top 10 though.
I was actually referring to the Port of South Louisiana, but yea you are right.

Old 01-20-2013, 09:50 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,312,844 times
Quote:
I was actually referring to the Port of South Louisiana, but yea you are right.
No prob.

Old 01-21-2013, 12:06 PM

3,247 posts, read 9,051,760 times
New Orleans has good bones but it up to the people if they want their city to be super fine looking and performing well.

Old 01-21-2013, 08:50 PM

1 posts, read 1,670 times
Thank you Virginia for your positive views on Nola. My daughter Is a Tulane student and absolutely loves the entire city. I have been there nine times and I love it too! The new mayor is wonderful and lots of the potholes are gone! Nola is a beautiful city that everyone should visit!

Old 01-22-2013, 05:07 AM

203 posts, read 518,912 times
Here you go.
NOPD: 5 people shot in Central City where Martin Luther King Day parade had passed earlier.
By NOLA.com | The Times-Picayune January 21, 2013 at 1:26 PM, updated January 21, 2013 at 11:34 PM
NOPD: 5 people shot in Central City where Martin Luther King Day parade had passed earlier | NOLA.com

The worse city in the world.

Old 01-22-2013, 05:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thirteengreen View Post
Thank you Virginia for your positive views on Nola. My daughter Is a Tulane student and absolutely loves the entire city. I have been there nine times and I love it too! The new mayor is wonderful and lots of the potholes are gone! Nola is a beautiful city that everyone should visit!
Even Uptown New Orleans is not safe. Just look at the article below. You can't avoid crime in New Orleans.
Man who raped 2 Tulane students booked with another attack | NOLA.com

Old 01-22-2013, 05:25 AM

2,311 posts, read 4,947,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayNagin504 View Post
Even Uptown New Orleans is not safe. Just look at the article below. You can't avoid crime in New Orleans.
Man who raped 2 Tulane students booked with another attack | NOLA.com
Nothing like a bit of self-hatred early in the morning, is there, Ray?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Old 01-22-2013, 05:48 AM

Quote:
New Orleans has a lot going on for it as many have pointed out! Let's start with the economy. New Orleans has the LARGEST shipping port in the entire country. It's economy has been great and has low unemployment. We didn't feel the economic pinch of the recession until Obama imposed a moratorium on the offshore drilling after the BP disaster (which I'm guessing you might support since you live in South Florida). One thing that has kept the economy of New Orleans in better shape than most of the country is due to our "shop local" mentality. People also like New Orleans due to having a lower cost of living than say, Miami.

Now onto the crime...yes New Orleans has crime and murders, but like any who has lived in Nola knows, I know how to avoid the dangerous areas. Fortunately, the murders are very concentrated in only small areas, and I know better than to wonder into a dangerous neighborhood that I have no business going into. The crime that comes with drug trafficking is very sad...speaking of drugs, the SoFL area is a lot worse than Nola. My family lives in Old Metairie (which is one of the safest areas of the entire metro area). Anyone living in that area will call 911 if they see anything slightly suspicious, as opposed to the dangerous areas of New Orleans that are too scared to call 911. It goes to show that communicating with the cops will keep your neighborhood a whole lot safer.

I spent a year in the SoFL area (Boca Raton) from August of 2011 to May 2012 when I went to Lynn University for my freshmen year only. I hated every second of the area and the school and ended up transferring to Millsaps College in Jackson, MS. SoFL has some of the rudest people I have ever met. I hated the culture that the "Damn Yankees" have created there. You mention potholes and that is a problem, but SoFL is worse with the crazy drivers who never have seemed to learn about defensive driving. I'd take bumpy roads over white knuckles on I-95, which has one of the worst statistics in the U.S. for accidents and deaths each year. Like I said above, the cost of living there is ridiculous and Nola provides decent salaries compared to the cost of living. Pricing for everything seems to keep rising in SoFl and the wages do not compensate enough to have any disposable income.

It sounds like you fit in with the whole South Florida crowd. I'm sorry that you despise your hometown, but it looks like you're outnumbered by fans of the city. The haters of New Orleans seem to be a minority.
Ok, New Orleans is know for their port. 24/7 ability to consumer alcohol, poor education street, pot hole filled streets, corruption, and crime. I guess you forgot about the port of Miami? The economy is doing terrible in New Orleans. There are no fortune 500 businesses! African Americans are clearly lacking in the workforce as many of them cannot get or find jobs because of discrimination. If you think racism was bad in Alabama and Mississippi visit New Orleans. I have also been to the so called considered dangerous parts of Miami like Liberty City and Overtown. Those 2 areas are in no way comparable to the 9th ward and other extremely dangerous parts of New Orleans. The Miami Dade Police can contain problems and the NOPD is the root of the problem. NOPD has a history of corruption which cannot be changed no matter the leadership. First of all Boca Raton is not considered South Florida. Boca Raton is in Palm Beach (Palm Beach County). South Florida is considered to be Miami Dade and Broward counties. I never heard of Lynn College. Maybe you sure have went to FAU where you could have learned the difference from North and South Florida. You went from Boca Raton to Mississippi? That was a backwards move. I'm sure it was because of the expense city you lived in (Boca Raton) as you stated. Everyone knows South Florida is expensive. Have you ever been to the extremely expensive areas like Coral Gables or Miami Beach? This is why some people who want to remain here in South Florida are working 2 jobs. It's very common for people to have a weekday and a weekend job because they don't have one job that will pay them a 6 figure income to live comfortable. It's not my fault you can't afford to live somewhere because it's considered to expensive for you! I work one job and make 6 figures. I'm living good in Miami. If I moved back to New Orleans where the cost of living is cheaper, I would be living like King surrounded by poverty that has to look over his back in fear of assassination. You can't compared New Orleans to Miami. We have more wealth and wealthy people here. Can't forget the beautiful beaches and views.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans