Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2016, 11:37 PM

2 posts, read 8,393 times

Advertisements

Yea i know Tilman.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2016, 08:02 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,929,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickkraus0169 View Post
Yea i know Tilman.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tilman_J._Fertitta

How far removed is he from his more notorious relatives?

Old 01-24-2016, 10:03 PM

1,076 posts, read 1,394,742 times
Does anybody know where the " Brown Bomber " bar was located in Gretna, as it said to be owned by Carlos Marcello.

Old 11-22-2016, 12:21 PM

3 posts, read 6,842 times
He Owned the Town & Country Motel @1225 Airline Hwy. His office was in the Motel. He owned Pelican Tomato Company, Elmwood Plantation, The Beverly Country Club renamed The Beverly Dinner Playhouse & many other businesses, restaurants & nightclubs.
The transcripts from the trial when Robert Kennedy tried to indict Mr.Marcello state that invoking the Fifth Amendment and refusing to answer any incriminating questions... Mr. Marcello took the 5th like 57+ times. Kennedy was angry his face was red. Kennedy asked him what his name was: "I take the 5th." Kennedy: What do you do for a living? Marcello: I'm a Tomato Salesman Kennedy: Kennedy: Well how many tomatoes did you sell last year? Marcello: bout 5 or 6. Kennedy: Well, then how were you able to buy hotels & restaurants in New Orleans that year? Marcello: Dem were some good tomatoes!
There's not one person in Louisiana that could say one bad thing about Carlos Marcello. Even the undercover FBI agents hated to turn him in. The man was funny & hospitable. He never went around killing people like in the Capone Era.
In fact, the only murder Marcello was ever implicated in was JFK. After Robert Kennedy failed to indict, deport, destroy Mr.Marcello, he had him illegally kidnapped & thrown on foot, into a Guatemalan Jungle. David Ferrie, a pilot & friend of Marcello & Lee Oswald, flew Marcello back to the US. David Ferrie lied in the Warren Report saying he never met Lee Oswald. (Pics of them.)
Jack Ruby use to frequent the Strip Bars in the French Quarter, owned by Marcello. That's where he met the Stripper Jada Conforto & helped her leave her husband in the middle of the night. He gave her a job, stripping at his Carousel Bar in Dallas, TX.

Old 04-04-2018, 12:23 PM

1 posts, read 3,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aceter View Post
Does anybody know where the " Brown Bomber " bar was located in Gretna, as it said to be owned by Carlos Marcello.
According to a 1957 assessment in the Times-Picayune newspaper, it was in Ward 1, No. 1324, Lots 10 and 11 on Romain in Gretna. The exact address wasn't given, but someone else told me it was at 2010 O'Conner Street.

The article said the bar was torn down in 1956. It was named after fighter Joe Louis. The Brown Bomber was his nickname.

Old 06-03-2019, 10:37 AM

1 posts, read 3,179 times
My paw paw was big into gambling. He had passed before I was born in 1986, but my maw maw often described him as having a million dollar mouthpiece and that he could sell a woman wearing white gloves a red popcicle on a hot day. while growing up I would hear rumors that he was affiliated with mob. Being white as snow and as French as they come I always doubted it but, but my inner fascination with early day mob bosses secretly hoped it was true. I would ask my maw maw often if it was true and she would say no, don't you go telling people that fib. One day I went on a job estimate with my dad and found out we were at Carlos Marcello daughters house. She and my dad seemed to be old childhood friends. That's when I knew it had to be true. As an adult I asked my maw maw a couple of years back if we really had ties with the Marcello family, she smiled as if she knew I knew. Let me mention the Marcello name was never dropped in our family.She told me that we were not a part of the family but my paw paw worked for him. My paw paw owned a business and next door was a bar that Carlos Marcello often played cards at.One night after work my paw paw lost their family car to Carlos in a bad hand of cards. He must have been afraid of my maw maw more then Carlos himself because he went home got the extra set of keys and went and stole it back from Carlos.The next day may maw maw said 3 men in all black suits knocked on her door asking for my paw paw .she said she lied and said he wasn't home then yelled them out for knocking so loud and that they would be sorry had they woken up the baby. she said carlos must have seen my maw maw yapping off to them and stepped out of a car and said we need to see him now or you'll be sorry, not knowing who he was she said she cursed him out in French and slammed the door on him. she said my paw paw came in through the backdoor and said oh **** they found me you gotta hide my maw maw said from who that little short guy go back outside i'll get rid of him.she said he pushed her to the side and went outside to meet him fast. Curious she peeped through the window to see whats was going on and said they stood there for about 10 min talking camly.He handed my paw paw his keys back and he walked back inside.He told her that he lost the car in a card game and he stole the car back and they were there to "rough him up" but instead after the encounter with my maw maw, Carlos told my paw paw he understood why he would do such a daring and stupid thing. she said his exact words were "if i had to deal with that, I would have done the same thing" he was impressed with both of their boldness and courage and could use someone like that in his circle and told my paw paw that he would let it slide but that he had to work off the disrespect he showed him by taking the car back. so supposedly he did odd jobs for Carlos for the next few years. When my paw paw died Carlos told my maw maw that he never met a white man with such big balls and smooth words. no one in the family knew exactly what he did for Carlos to pay off his debt and disrespect not even my maw maw .she said that was the only time in their lives he would say "shut up woman!" when she would ask a question. my maw maw talks a lot and loves to reminisce about my paw paw but that's one subject she never likes to talk about and will deny often when we ask her about it. she only discussed it to me that once and everytime ive asked her since that day she denies it and says i dont know what youre talking about.

Old 10-02-2019, 01:59 PM

61 posts, read 55,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neworleansisprettygood View Post
This isn't about Carlos Marcello, but where Monticello hits the river there are a few houses- it's listed as "Mississippi River Trail". I know there were some gambling interests in that area, are those at all related? What's their deal?
There were gambling places all along Jefferson Highway, U.S. 90, in the Thirties. The 1938 WPA Guide to New Orleans mentions them. They were out in suburban/rural Jefferson Parish, so the NO cops had no jurisdiction, and everybody else (during Huey P. Long's time, and for decades after) looked the other way.

Old 10-02-2019, 02:03 PM

61 posts, read 55,093 times
While working for Purolator Courier, I once delivered a package to one of his offices. It was a coin machine company on Airline Highway, U.S. 61, not far from Causeway Blvd., about 1984 or so. The package said "Carlos Marcello" on it. But the office front door was locked at 10:30 am on a weekday. I buzzed. The receptionist let me in, looked at the package, nodded, signed for it, and I left. She locked the door after me before I got back to the truck.

And that pretty much cleans me up on Mr. Marcello.

Old 06-11-2020, 08:44 AM

1 posts, read 2,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alsidw View Post
He was just a tomato salesman. Also my college roommate parents lived on Clifford Drive in the '60's and they ran a few gambling clubs. Also there are two houses on Montecello Avenue that were part of the same 'family' and there are gun ports in the walls. One block off River road.
hello, i have lived in new orleans my whole life and have held a lifelong fascination of mob history here, and am even currently trying to write a book relating to the subject. i also grew up uptown by the river and spent my youth hanging out on the levee and am very familiar with this area and knew of the new southport club, but i am not aware of any homes that have gun ports or anything like that. i would very much appreciate any knowledge you could share about these reputed “family” properties in that area. thanks!

Old 12-30-2020, 07:06 AM

3,247 posts, read 9,048,425 times
Default Marcello era

Was New Orleans more prosperous and less crime-ridden when Marcello ran the city?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans