Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-04-2013, 06:00 PM

683 posts, read 4,606,432 times

Advertisements

I previously posted about teaching elementary in New Orleans, and I am starting to dig a little deeper in looking at schools, and specifically, finding out more about KIPP schools. I realize that these schools have a longer school day (which, as a teacher who always ran out of time to teach what I really wanted to teach, I like). I'm fully into teaching for the purpose of teaching, but as someone who really needs a job with a decent salary, I wonder what they pay. Does anyone know the beginning salary for a teacher at KIPP? (Also, if you have any other personal stories or info about Kipp, that would be great too!)

I saw somewhere that the salary schedule is the same as any other public school in Nola, but I have yet to find that salary schedule either. It's not too hard to find the average salary, but what I'm looking for is the starting salary. Obviously there are still factors that come into play, like experience and extra credits etc. but just a ballpark figure would be nice. If I decide to job hunt and relocate somewhere, I want to make sure I'm not taking a major hit financially, as I'm at a point in my life where I need to start thinking more about being financially stable.

Now, before everyone tells me that we need teachers who want to teach and not teachers who just want a paycheck, let me explain that the latter is not me at all. My previous teaching experience includes a position at an underprivileged private school where I was paid next to nothing. I loved it but it did not pay the bills because the salary was mostly paid by donation and from the very low tuition of families. And it got me to now, where I have no savings of any kind. So. I'm not looking to be greedy, I am in it for the kids...but need to make a living too!

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2013, 05:38 PM

Bump? Anyone? Beginning salary for any charter school in New Orleans? Just trying to get an idea. Thanks.

Old 03-24-2013, 03:04 PM

32 posts, read 121,708 times
I did a quick search and found that it was difficult trying to find any information online as far as a salary scale goes for charter schools in the city. Some used to loosely base their teacher salaries on the RSD salary scale. However, RSD did away with their salary schedule last year and now the state attaches dollars to the position, and I could not locate the old scale anywhere online. From experience, I think you can expect to earn roughly between the $37,000-45,000 range. With my teaching experience (I'm certified in ELA and Sped, 5+ yrs in the classroom), I've been in the mid to high 40s in both positions that I've worked in here in New Orleans. Even though I took a pay cut coming to New Orleans to teach, I've done okay with my salary. I've had friends who have had just as much teaching experience, and got hired in a position making less than I was. They have roommates or found cheaper apartments on the West Bank. I'm sorry that I can't be more help. If you want more specific information, feel free to PM me and I'll help in any way I can.

Old 03-24-2013, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deegee09 View Post
I did a quick search and found that it was difficult trying to find any information online as far as a salary scale goes for charter schools in the city. Some used to loosely base their teacher salaries on the RSD salary scale. However, RSD did away with their salary schedule last year and now the state attaches dollars to the position, and I could not locate the old scale anywhere online. From experience, I think you can expect to earn roughly between the $37,000-45,000 range. With my teaching experience (I'm certified in ELA and Sped, 5+ yrs in the classroom), I've been in the mid to high 40s in both positions that I've worked in here in New Orleans. Even though I took a pay cut coming to New Orleans to teach, I've done okay with my salary. I've had friends who have had just as much teaching experience, and got hired in a position making less than I was. They have roommates or found cheaper apartments on the West Bank. I'm sorry that I can't be more help. If you want more specific information, feel free to PM me and I'll help in any way I can.
Thank you! Yes, obviously I've been having trouble with it too. I have four years teaching experience. I just got a job offer and was asked For my salary expectation. I decided I may as well shoot for the higher end without going unreasonably high, and said the 45k range. If I were still teaching in California (I started here in 2005) I'd be making over 50k. So thank you for the info, I'm ok with anything over 40 depending on benefits, etc
so this is good news. Thanks for trying to help!

Old 05-29-2014, 07:27 PM

1 posts, read 5,386 times
Have you received any updated information? Considering a KIPP position in NO myself.

Old 06-03-2014, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linor View Post
Have you received any updated information? Considering a KIPP position in NO myself.
Yes! I live here now and just finished the school year (not kipp). Pm me and maybe I can point you in some directions!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans