Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2013, 11:35 AM

5 posts, read 7,456 times

Advertisements

After watching last Sunday's Super Bowl and seeing the blackout, is the Super Dome really able to host such a big event?

Seeing as how hands on the NFL is nowadays do you residents of the city feel that the blackout hurt there chances to host such an event in the future?

Me personally I think they should have torn down and or rebuilt the Super Dome years ago. I really think Roger Goddell and the team owners would be hard pressed to award another one. That blackout was embarrasing and it was not a good look for the city
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2013, 11:42 AM

494 posts, read 1,606,330 times
Goodell said the blackout wouldn't hurt NO bidding chances for 2018 and TBH, which is shocking, I agree with him. Yes, it was kinda embarrassing. But the week as whole, went very well, and I've heard nothing but positive things about how NO handled the SB.

Old 02-05-2013, 11:54 AM

1,097 posts, read 2,329,629 times
Power outages happen (even in Houston). It could happen at a brand new venue just as easily as a century old ballpark.

How quickly we forget the issues that a brand new Cowboys Stadium had 2 years ago: http://www.dallasnews.com/sports/sup...-not-ready.ece

The Superdome's location has way to many other things going for it that no other city can come close to matching. EVERYTHING is within walking distance.

Old 02-05-2013, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southseeker View Post
Goodell said the blackout wouldn't hurt NO bidding chances for 2018 and TBH, which is shocking, I agree with him. Yes, it was kinda embarrassing. But the week as whole, went very well, and I've heard nothing but positive things about how NO handled the SB.

But is the Super Dome able to host such an event? I guess my question should be doesn't New Orleans need to build a new stadium? Look around the NFL, new venues are popping up all over the place. Even Atlanta is trying to build a new one, despite the fact that the Dome there isn't even that old. Maybe time and the elements (Katrina) have just done the ol' girl in?

Old 02-05-2013, 11:55 AM

16,505 posts, read 26,138,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSpookWhoSatByTheDoor View Post
After watching last Sunday's Super Bowl and seeing the blackout, is the Super Dome really able to host such a big event?

Seeing as how hands on the NFL is nowadays do you residents of the city feel that the blackout hurt there chances to host such an event in the future?

Me personally I think they should have torn down and or rebuilt the Super Dome years ago. I really think Roger Goddell and the team owners would be hard pressed to award another one. That blackout was embarrasing and it was not a good look for the city
Are you serious? It has hosted 10 Superbowls, Final Fours, Sugarbowls, and BCS Championship games.
Th Superdome is one of the best venues in the country, better than some of these new stadiums and in an ideal location. The day they tear down the Superdome, I hope I am dead and gone.

Old 02-05-2013, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Are you serious? It has hosted 10 Superbowls, Final Fours, Sugarbowls, and BCS Championship games.
Th Superdome is one of the best venues in the country, better than some of these new stadiums and in an ideal location. The day they tear down the Superdome, I hope I am dead and gone.

You are right but the first Super Bowl after Katrina and look what happened-a Black Out.
I would be remiss if I did not say that the stadium obviously has some issues that need to be addressed, the proof was in the pudding just last Sunday.

Old 02-05-2013, 12:13 PM

8,955 posts, read 17,192,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Not to be that guy............but the Superdome had not hosted 10 Super Bowls, it has hosted 7. The first three New Orleans Super Bowls were at Tulane Stadium.

Old 02-05-2013, 12:31 PM

494 posts, read 1,606,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSpookWhoSatByTheDoor View Post
You are right but the first Super Bowl after Katrina and look what happened-a Black Out.
I would be remiss if I did not say that the stadium obviously has some issues that need to be addressed, the proof was in the pudding just last Sunday.
The superdome has been massively renovated since Katrina, It's not the same stadium at all that is was before. It has also hosted many several large events prior to the SB w/o any issues at all.

If this issue does fall on the staidum, I'd imagime it'll be something that'll be fixable. As the electrical system was also recently upgraded just for the SB. If it's Entergy's fault, then it's defiantly not anything to worry about. People are WAY overstating this issue in my honest opinion.

Old 02-05-2013, 03:33 PM

1,350 posts, read 2,292,971 times
There is NOTHING wrong with the Superdome.

Atlanta is about to drop one billion on a new stadium. Including $300 mil of tax money...imagine what that sort of money could do in New Orleans to fix infrastructure.

Old 02-05-2013, 04:10 PM

151 posts, read 289,694 times
It will be fine. It's not the first time it's hosted it. **** happens.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
View detailed profiles of: