U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-20-2013, 07:47 PM

4 posts, read 8,453 times

Advertisements

I'm moving to New Orleans in a couple weeks for work. Searching for an apartment is getting a bit frustrating. I really just want someplace safe and quiet. My max on rent is about $750 or so. I don't have to be in the hip trendy neighborhood or even New Orleans proper for that matter. Any of the outlying cities are acceptable as well. Any suggestions are appreciated as I don't know the city.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2013, 10:33 PM

14,777 posts, read 21,477,414 times
We need more information. Where are you working, how far are you willing to commute, etc.

Old 03-21-2013, 12:31 AM

Of course, I should have thought about that. I don't have a commute as I am a field service engineer and drive to various job sites, mainly airports and other secure facilities. That is the main reason why my location question was so vague, because really, I can live where ever. I appreciate you response, hopefully this information helps narrow things.

Old 03-21-2013, 11:00 AM

278 posts, read 361,561 times
But are the areas mainly in the New Orleans area "proper" or can be central or north Louisiana?

Old 03-21-2013, 01:08 PM

My main area of responsibility is the New Orleans area. There are some outlying areas I will have to go to on occasion, but for the most part I'm centered in NOLA.

Old 03-21-2013, 02:44 PM

802 posts, read 1,247,562 times
You could probably try looking in the suburbs of Metairie, Elmwood, River Ridge, and around that area. There are a lot of apartment complexes in the Metairie area and for the most part is safe and I guess quiet and has quick access to New Orleans city proper. You could also try Mandeville, Covington, Slidell, and other parts of St. Tammany Parish which are even quieter and safer than the Metairie area but is also farther from New Orleans and probably does not have as many rental units that fit your budget.

If you find something but you are still concerned, then you can tell us where it is located (or the general area) and we can tell you if it is good.

Old 03-21-2013, 08:22 PM

I would suggest that you live on the south shore (south of the lake) because I would imagine most of the secured places you would visit would be plants, the two airports on the south, port facilities on the river, etc. Give locations and someone here should be able to help, I'm much less good in that area because I'm not familiar with many street corners in the area.

Old 03-22-2013, 08:18 AM

1,087 posts, read 2,042,208 times
Most of the facilities that you would have to visit are west of the city. The main airport is there as well as a number of chemical plants and refineries between New Orleans and Baton Rouge. The port is located in the city and there are two refineries and maybe a shipping terminal or two that are located on the east side of the city.

It sounds like you would prefer the suburbs. Metairie, Kenner and River Ridge are all good options, but they do have their skankier parts. St. Rose and Destrehan are a little further to the west, more ex-urban and are nice as well. Again, give us a general area where you're looking and we can comment.

Old 03-22-2013, 02:10 PM

Thanks for your replies. You have all been a huge help. I was looking in the Metairie area just because of it's easy access to freeways since I will be all over. What areas are to be avoided in the Metairie area? Are there specific pockets to avoid? Are there preferred areas?

Old 03-23-2013, 08:11 AM

I think you'd be better off posting complexes and someone can tell you about the area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans