Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-23-2013, 07:02 PM

683 posts, read 4,615,678 times

Advertisements

I just received a job offer in the Algiers area, specifically around the cross streets of MacArthur and Behrman. When I've visited I've walked around Algiers Point and found it to be safe, but not sure as you go further in. An aquaintance has told me that I should probably look for a place to live in Algiers, because bridge traffic sucks. I currently live in Southern California, so needless to say, I'm very accustomed to bad traffic. So my questions are

1) how is the area around my workplace for a single white female in her early 30s? I'm mainly asking in terms of safety. Obviously there is crime everywhere, but how does this area compare to other parts of the city that I'd be looking into, such as Uptown, Bywater or Mid-city?

2) I do not yet know what my final salary will be, but no matter what, I'd like to spend no more than $900 on rent. A studio is totally fine and I don't need anything fancy but I do like places with character! I would prefer not to live in a big complex (you know, the kind that show up as the same ad every single day on craigslist?) and definitely don't want roommates if I can help it. Is this doable in Algiers, or should I just look elsewhere and prepare to commute across the bridge? Is the bridge commute really that bad?

Any other advice is welcome! Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2013, 07:06 PM

16,507 posts, read 26,285,643 times
You should be able to find a nice studio or small apartment Uptown for that price. Would you consider a shotgun style house? They are available in the Marigny and Bywater.

Old 03-23-2013, 07:50 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,802,767 times
Traffic would suck until you got to the bridge - then you'd be going against traffic. Same thing in the evening. If you can find something in Algiers Point, that would probably work best.

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 03-23-2013, 09:51 PM

2,311 posts, read 4,944,421 times
I agree with Southern Belle. Especially because living in Algiers Point you would have access to the (free for pedestrians) ferry.

The particular area (intersection) where you will be working is in a solidly middle class area. It tends to go downhill, though, as you get closer to the river (towards the bridge). But then there's Algiers Point, which has its own funky/historic vibe (and the aforementioned ferry).

Old 03-25-2013, 11:37 AM

1,097 posts, read 2,339,431 times
Crossing the bridge is going to suck any way you slice it. Outside of Algiers point, there are some nice neighborhoods on the west bank, but nothing that I would call urban or historic. If you look at where your job will be located, the area just to the south and east of there is nice and safe, but pretty suburban. Try to stay between Holiday and Woodland as it gets sketchy further out. I would say its relatively safe, but no more so than the good spots on the east bank.

If you want something historic and walkable, then the point is a great option. Just FYI, the area immediately surrounding the point can get sketchy. Use Opelousas and Atlantic as boundaries.

If you can deal crossing the bridge everyday, then you have a lot of options at that price point. IMO the Lower Garden Dist would be the best place. It's easiest in terms of getting to work and you'll be able to find smaller units. It's walkable, historic has good transit access and is really close to downtown and the FQ.

There are lots of other areas, but it depends on what you're looking for.
See:advice for a single 20 something moving to NO

Old 03-25-2013, 03:12 PM

683 posts, read 4,615,678 times
I'm curious to know the specifics of how the bridge traffic sucks. I will definitely look in algiers point, but I don't want to have to limit my search to such a small area unless I have to. I'll need to be at work by 7:15 each morning. I live close to Los Angeles right now and am used to traffic...but let's say I live, (just as an example) somewhere around jackson and st charles in the garden district. About how long would it take me to get over to and cross the bridge in the morning? 15 min? An hour? Like I said, I'm used to traffic sucking and right now it takes me about an hour to get home each night (11 miles). I don't mind it if I like where I live. I actually kind of enjoy having a little time in the car each day before starting work.

Old 03-25-2013, 03:44 PM

2,311 posts, read 4,944,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel2882 View Post
I'm curious to know the specifics of how the bridge traffic sucks. I will definitely look in algiers point, but I don't want to have to limit my search to such a small area unless I have to. I'll need to be at work by 7:15 each morning. I live close to Los Angeles right now and am used to traffic...but let's say I live, (just as an example) somewhere around jackson and st charles in the garden district. About how long would it take me to get over to and cross the bridge in the morning? 15 min? An hour? Like I said, I'm used to traffic sucking and right now it takes me about an hour to get home each night (11 miles). I don't mind it if I like where I live. I actually kind of enjoy having a little time in the car each day before starting work.
If you're living in the lower garden district, you would be going against traffic morning and evening, so 20-25 minutes at worst. You could get off the bridge right after you cross. The problem in the afternoon, though, maybe that the traffic backed up all the way across the river. Still, the lower Garden District wouldn't be much of a commute.

Old 03-26-2013, 08:51 AM

282 posts, read 437,987 times
If you are going to work near MacArthur and Berhman, which is on the river side of DeGaulle, I would also suggest places right across the border in Jefferson Parish, specifically Terrytown or even out to Timberlane area. I myself am a little leery of Algiers as a whole. Unless you live around Lakewood or English Turn. Over recent years that area between Algiers Point and roughly Holiday Drive has been a little bad. Neighboring Terrytown is like a 10 minute drive max, unless there is a traffic accident. Just a suggestion, not bashing Algiers, but if you want to avoid the bridge and a long commute look other places other than uptown or Algiers point. Good luck.

Old 03-28-2013, 01:09 AM

1,291 posts, read 1,522,410 times
The bottleneck for traffic on the bridge is where I-10 and US 90 intersect. After that point, traffic is usually easier. However, keep in mind that the bridge is one of the 5 most heavily trafficked bridges in the USA. Coming from Elysian Fields on I-10, it's taken me about an hour to get to Marrero. I spent about 45 of those minutes just getting past that interchange during rush hour. Elysian Fields & I-10 to US 90 is about 2.5 miles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans