Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2013, 12:24 PM

2,311 posts, read 4,945,820 times

Advertisements

Ok, so this is a New Orleans board- we should talk more about food.

Here is a list of all the open restaurants in the area:

Listed By Neighborhood

Thought that would be helpful for people looking for new places.

If I rate somewhere, it'll be on a "potential" scale- meaning a hamburger joint could get a 5, and Commander's could get a 1, depending on how well their grasp lines up with their reach.

Saturday I had a "piadina" at Romano Italian Street Food on Veterans. This is a new place that is kind of the Italian equivalent to a burrito shop.

Piadina is a flatbread; I had it filled with a mixture of marinara and alfredo sauce, salumi, onions, parmesan, romano, mozzarella, and tomatoes with an unsweet lemon tea. Total cost around $10.

4/5

------
For Easter lunch I went with the parents to Courtyard Grill on Magazine, which is actually a Mediterranean place owned by Persians who got here via Istanbul.

Wow. Really great place; even the bread that comes out before the meal is fantastic. I had an "adona kabob" with is a hunk of ground chicken cooked on (and the removed from) a skewer. It was excellent. For dessert I had Baklava; my parents had flan and an apricot pear; they ended up switching, but were happy once that was done.

The only reason this place doesn't get a perfect score is the atmosphere. It's nice and all, it just lacked a certain zest. Service was attentive and polite.

4.5/5

----------

Today is the second annual "Dyngus Day" celebration, a traditional Polish festival on "Easter Monday"- kind of a backwards Mardi Gras. I wanted to get lunch, and the fest doesn't start 'til 5, so I headed to Dat Dog for a Polish kielbasa. I ended up at Liberty Cheesesteaks in the old Dat Dog space. I got a "pizzasteak"- the traditional meat with marinara and mozzarella; I added onions and garlic sauce.

It was very good though not exceptional; 3.5/5.

Feel free to add/ jeer/ ignore. I'll keep eating.

Last edited by Neworleansisprettygood; 04-01-2013 at 12:43 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2013, 08:00 PM

1,291 posts, read 1,523,144 times
Great idea! This should be stickied!! It'd be even better if somebody kept track of all the ratings and posted an average or something on the front page.

On Easter, my mother and I ate at Cafe Pontalba. It's located right next to The Cabildo in Jackson square. I had the shrimp pasta and she had some gumbo. The portions were pretty small but tasty. She said the gumbo was fantastic, and I have to admit it looked really good and I wished I had ordered some so I could try it. The shrimp was pretty impressive as I could still kinda taste it later on that night (in a good way). However, since the portions were small for the price and quality, I'd have to give it a 7/10. I'd go back if I ever ran out of places to eat!!

The day after, we went to Mongolia Grill. It's on Decatur between Gov Nicholls and Ursulines. I ordered a hamburger and so did she. We both enjoyed it and OMG did they give a bunch of food for the price! I think it was like $7 for a 6 oz burger and a bunch of fries. The taste was pretty good! Not like best burger ever good but good. I'd definitely go back. Their red beans and rice looked REALLY good. We sat outside on a BEAUTIFUL April day and didn't regret it one bit. Overall I'd give it an 8/10.

Old 04-04-2013, 12:57 PM

Ok, so for lunch, picked up a rosemary-crusted roast beef sandwich, Abita root beer, and a cupcake at Gracious Bakery on Jeff Davis.

This is the second time I've gone to this place, and I've had the same experience with the service both times: there's a woman there who I assume is the owner who has the whole "if you don't buy into our pretentiousness you're not worth our time" attitude. I added the cupcake late to my order and when I asked if she had put it in the bag she seemed offended.

The sandwich is good, but not great. It aspires to be something it's not, and at $8.25, there's really not much to it.

Earned some points, though, for selling Abita root beer. Once in a blue moon do you actually see that stuff available.

The cupcake- eh, I've made better. I got a vanilla one and the icing seems more like chilled whipped cream than anything special.

2/5

Old 04-04-2013, 02:38 PM

Apparently, without meaning to, I stole the "potential" scale idea from Roger Ebert. News just came that he died. RIP

Old 04-08-2013, 01:38 PM

Lunch yesterday, went to Company Burger on Freret. I really like this place; the pickles are sweet and the bread is great. The only thing that doesn't wow me is the decor; I get that it's the whole minimalist-downscale-gourmet theme, but it's not old enough yet for it to have gained any character. Still a solid meal and my vote as the best "upscale" hamburger joint, though I admit my experience with the genre is limited.

4/5

Today, I went to Norma's Sweets on Bienville in Mid-City. It's a Hispanic grocery, and I went specifically for the empanadas. I was disappointed that they didn't have beef, but I got a chicken and a cheese. I also got a "pastel" (cake) filled with beef and another one filled with chicken. Total cost was less than 5 bucks. The chicken empanada was good; haven't gotten to the cheese one yet. I liked the beef pastel the most, then the chicken pastel.

3/5

Old 04-08-2013, 09:45 PM

You eat out a lot, lucky bug!

Old 04-09-2013, 03:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mwahfromtheheart View Post
You eat out a lot, lucky bug!
Yep.

I forgot one place from last week- Yang's Po-Boy's. This is my favorite local po-boy shop- I go there about once a month. Roast Beef and a Barq's.

4/5

Last edited by Neworleansisprettygood; 04-09-2013 at 04:12 AM..

Old 04-14-2013, 04:13 PM

Sun Ray Grill - Warehouse District on Tchop and John Churchill

We were walking from the French Quarter Fest trying to find a place to eat near where we were parked and we came across this place. I had the "cajun fish and chips" and also had a Strawberry Fields (Vodka and strawberries). The fish was fried drum fish and it was okay. I prefer grilled fish over anything else but even though that was the case I don't think it came to NOLA standards by any means. The fries, on the other hand were EXCELLENT... and the drink was pretty light on the vodka. probably the best fries I've ever eaten. My roommate got the "Chinese chicken salad" and said it was spectacular. I had a portion and thought it was very good, so I'm a little torn on the rating I should give.

But based on my dining experience, I'd give the fish about a 4/10 and the fries a 10/10. Probably a 6/10 overall.

Coops Place - French Quarter on Decatur Street between Gov Nicholls and Ursulines.

This place serves what is probably my favorite NOLA dish. If you're there, DEFINITELY try the Chicken Tchopitoulas. It's a dish of blackened chicken beast, shrimp, and pork served over rice with a delicious sauce on top. This is probably the best meal I've had for under $20 at any restaurant any where in the country, and it's all very affordable. However, their staff can be a bit unfriendly so you have to take that into account. I've had their fried shrimp and it was very bland (but fresh). Their jambalaya is on the spicy side but it's VERY good.

Overall, the food in fantastic but the wait and service are a little lacking. It's also a dive bar so you have that to consider. 8/10 (Only so high because the food is magnificent).

Old 04-14-2013, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mwahfromtheheart View Post
Sun Ray Grill - Warehouse District on Tchop and John Churchill

We were walking from the French Quarter Fest trying to find a place to eat near where we were parked and we came across this place. I had the "cajun fish and chips" and also had a Strawberry Fields (Vodka and strawberries). The fish was fried drum fish and it was okay. I prefer grilled fish over anything else but even though that was the case I don't think it came to NOLA standards by any means. The fries, on the other hand were EXCELLENT... and the drink was pretty light on the vodka. probably the best fries I've ever eaten. My roommate got the "Chinese chicken salad" and said it was spectacular. I had a portion and thought it was very good, so I'm a little torn on the rating I should give.

But based on my dining experience, I'd give the fish about a 4/10 and the fries a 10/10. Probably a 6/10 overall.

Coops Place - French Quarter on Decatur Street between Gov Nicholls and Ursulines.

This place serves what is probably my favorite NOLA dish. If you're there, DEFINITELY try the Chicken Tchopitoulas. It's a dish of blackened chicken beast, shrimp, and pork served over rice with a delicious sauce on top. This is probably the best meal I've had for under $20 at any restaurant any where in the country, and it's all very affordable. However, their staff can be a bit unfriendly so you have to take that into account. I've had their fried shrimp and it was very bland (but fresh). Their jambalaya is on the spicy side but it's VERY good.

Overall, the food in fantastic but the wait and service are a little lacking. It's also a dive bar so you have that to consider. 8/10 (Only so high because the food is magnificent).
I've been hearing about Coop's Place for years, but have still never made it down there... one of these days.

Right now, I'm eating a quesadilla from Felipe's Taqueria off Claiborne at Calhoun. Neat little place, it's the kind of burrito shop that proliferates in a lot of cities. Got mine with chorizo, cilantro, jalapenos, pico de gallo, lettuce, a brownie and a Mexican coke- total cost under $10.

4/5

Another place that I want to mention, though I haven't been there recently, is Boswell's Jamaican Grill on Tulane... just a few blocks from me, but one of my favorite places in the city. All I've ever had there was the beef patties (very spicy) and the jerk chicken (with a sauce that is also very spicy and much different than the spicing we're used to around here). Always with a ginger beer. All in all just a great place, and Boswell himself is a great guy.

5/5

Old 04-14-2013, 06:14 PM

62 posts, read 277,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neworleansisprettygood View Post
I've been hearing about Coop's Place for years, but have still never made it down there... one of these days.

Right now, I'm eating a quesadilla from Felipe's Taqueria off Claiborne at Calhoun. Neat little place, it's the kind of burrito shop that proliferates in a lot of cities. Got mine with chorizo, cilantro, jalapenos, pico de gallo, lettuce, a brownie and a Mexican coke- total cost under $10.

4/5

Another place that I want to mention, though I haven't been there recently, is Boswell's Jamaican Grill on Tulane... just a few blocks from me, but one of my favorite places in the city. All I've ever had there was the beef patties (very spicy) and the jerk chicken (with a sauce that is also very spicy and much different than the spicing we're used to around here). Always with a ginger beer. All in all just a great place, and Boswell himself is a great guy.

5/5
I second Boswell's—it is AMAZING. Get the oxtails!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans