Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2013, 03:58 PM

1,291 posts, read 1,517,236 times

Advertisements

It's over exaggerated to some extent. There are random shootings in broad daylight on busy intersections but none really where you're going. I would be careful in Treme though... some parts of it are beautiful but others are very dangerous. I've lived here for 6 months in a dangerous neighborhood (St. Claude / St. Roch) and the only times I ever feel the hair rise on the back of my neck are when I was at some of the stores around my neighborhood or when I'm riding my bike around my neighborhood (I'm a 30 yr old, rather petite white girl).

But I've seen pretty much all of the places you want to go to and I don't think you have anything to worry about. People here are very nice and danger will probably leave you alone if you don't go looking for it. Just use the same caution you would when you visit any major touristy city

Old 04-15-2013, 05:09 AM

203 posts, read 517,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alsidw View Post
Well, sorry to say I have a very negative view of crime in New Orleans. I personally was held up in the Riverbend area as I was getting off the streetcar to go home in the evening. The people next door had a home invasion and a woman was raped. Another woman was raped in the same block. College students are regularly robbed and beate, cars hijacked. I heard a story from a brother of a slain woman that was shot and killed on State street near Magazine with two young children in the back seat. The Garden District has so much crime it has it's own police force. Crime is not black on black like so many want you to believe. Ever wonder why there are so many new iron fences around houses along Carrollton and St. Charles Ave. Please. Be honest. I know crime is bad for tourism but lying about it is not the answer. Fix the problem.Taking away guns from honest citizens will make it easier for the animals to hunt around the water hole.
Oh, yes. I left the city after 68 years because of violence, drugs, rising taxes and fees and reduced city services, tax more- get less. But City Park is beautiful.
I agree with this poster after living in the Garden District of New Orleans for 19 years. New Orleans is nothing more than a cesspool for crime. A woman was recently raped minding her own business and she lived in a uptown neighborhood that was supposed to be a good part of the city. Don't let the neighborhood fool you. There was also a home invasion and robbery that took place in the garden district. The man was shot outside his home and the thugs ran into the house while the wife and kids were inside. All for a laptop and Ipad. All of the victims were white. So you can rule out black on black crime.

Old 04-15-2013, 09:57 AM

2,311 posts, read 4,933,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayNagin504 View Post
I agree with this poster after living in the Garden District of New Orleans for 19 years. New Orleans is nothing more than a cesspool for crime. A woman was recently raped minding her own business and she lived in a uptown neighborhood that was supposed to be a good part of the city. Don't let the neighborhood fool you. There was also a home invasion and robbery that took place in the garden district. The man was shot outside his home and the thugs ran into the house while the wife and kids were inside. All for a laptop and Ipad. All of the victims were white. So you can rule out black on black crime.
What, exactly, do you hope to gain by continuing to trash a city you obviously feel has done you wrong? Do you consider your foolishness a "public service," Mr. Nagin?

Old 04-15-2013, 10:15 AM

1,285 posts, read 3,598,886 times
It is not trashing a city to expose the issues honestly. If there is a problem let us recognize it and work toward a solution but in the meantime it is important to caution people not to be careless. The city needs address the problems and not cover it up.

Old 04-15-2013, 10:40 AM

16,506 posts, read 26,193,039 times
Quote:
It is not trashing a city to expose the issues honestly. If there is a problem let us recognize it and work toward a solution but in the meantime it is important to caution people not to be careless. The city needs address the problems and not cover it up.
Have you read his posts?

Old 04-15-2013, 10:47 AM

Quote:
I get that. Nobody here is saying New Orleans doesn't have its problems, and some of us actually DO work to solve them.

Old 04-20-2013, 09:04 PM

2,303 posts, read 5,671,873 times
After visiting for the first time last month and being terrified for my life after reading Debbie-downerish posts and forums (not City-Data), I can say I felt the warnings were overhyped. New Orleans has crime, but it wasn't in every street corner, nook, and cranny like I thought. No one robbed us, no one harassed us, and we walked through the Quarter all times of the day and night. Our hotel was on Rampart across from Louis Armstrong Park, which we heard should be avoided at all times. I guess part of the hype is all about perspective and where one has explored in their lifetime. My biggest issue was blisters on my feet and a few people (not even exclusively homeless) asking for a dollar or two. But even they were cordial to an extent. I can't wait to return!

Old 04-21-2013, 04:08 AM

1,285 posts, read 3,598,886 times
New Orleans is a great place to visit but it is a dangerous city and not just in one area. Visitors are not in town long enough to see the full extent of the problem.

Old 04-21-2013, 06:55 AM

Quote:
New Orleans is a great place to visit but it is a dangerous city and not just in one area. Visitors are not in town long enough to see the full extent of the problem.
Nor are they in Vegas, any Mexican resort town, or innumerable other tourist areas. Again, nobody here is saying New Orleans doesn't have problems. I'm glad you're enjoying your retirement, but less those of us who still live here have our fun as well.

Old 04-21-2013, 10:53 AM

203 posts, read 517,530 times
Quote:
Visitors need to keep track of the murder counter on the NOLA.com website. 48 murders in less than 4 months. I am betting the city reaches 50 by the end of the month. If that's not a lot of killing then what is?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans