Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-08-2007, 07:45 PM

237 posts, read 1,081,388 times

Advertisements

I'm moving out to CO & today was my first day on the road.

I was supposed to take I-10 to I-12 & bypass New Orleans to get to Hammond, where I'm staying for the night.

I completely missed the I-12 exit & wound up in New Orleans during rush hour. I was terrified when I suddenly wound up smack dab in the middle of the sea of cars that lined I-10. Being a small-town girl, I thought I'd either pass out or die!

However, I've never been so pleasantly surprised. You drive very politely. Not once did I see anyone cut anyone else off, there wasn't one horn that honked. I made it through smoothly, albeit it slowly!

Thank you so much for a pleasant driving experience. Hope to come back & visit your beautiful city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2007, 08:33 AM

1,323 posts, read 4,701,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Averie-Jay View Post
I'm moving out to CO & today was my first day on the road.

I was supposed to take I-10 to I-12 & bypass New Orleans to get to Hammond, where I'm staying for the night.

I completely missed the I-12 exit & wound up in New Orleans during rush hour. I was terrified when I suddenly wound up smack dab in the middle of the sea of cars that lined I-10. Being a small-town girl, I thought I'd either pass out or die!

However, I've never been so pleasantly surprised. You drive very politely. Not once did I see anyone cut anyone else off, there wasn't one horn that honked. I made it through smoothly, albeit it slowly!

Thank you so much for a pleasant driving experience. Hope to come back & visit your beautiful city.
This is what I love about the south. I unfortunately now live in California. You won't find polite, courteous drivers here.

Old 11-09-2007, 08:44 AM

794 posts, read 3,358,109 times
I am surprised that with our traffic more motorists in Baton Rouge and/or NOLA don't honk their horns. I drove for the first time in New York City a few months back and although I didn't notice any horn honking in stopped traffic, drivers will honk their horns immediately as a traffic light turns green if you aren't already letting off the brake.
For the most part around here, people are courteous enough to let you in unless you're being aggressive. Then they're more likely to cut you off.

And don't worry about the mix up, Colorado. I have countless friends and relatives that get I-12 and I-10 confused all the time. It would help if LaDOTD would set up some signage in Baton Rouge and Slidell to inform motorists that I-12 is effectively the NOLA Bypass.

Old 11-12-2007, 06:04 PM

2,178 posts, read 9,578,191 times
BOY! Katrina sure changed that! I would NOT drive in New Orleans, they drove crazy down there... (haven't been since Katrina) They are in Baton Rouge now and I am hating more and more having to drive there.

Old 11-12-2007, 08:12 PM

3 posts, read 10,612 times
Default horn??

I don't remember the last time I honked my horn. I love living in the south.

Old 11-13-2007, 09:47 PM

24 posts, read 85,975 times
I grew up in North and let me tell you, Southern hospitality is no joke. People are more patient drivers down here. In Chicago, people would drive on the median or shoulder to cut you off and honk at you like crazy if you weren't driving fifteen over the speed limit.

Old 11-13-2007, 09:57 PM

31 posts, read 105,724 times
I arrived in L.A airport a couple years ago during holiday season.The crowds at the airport was the first shock people everywhere,bit of an eye opener from small country NZL. The driver of the minivan from Airport to Anaheim was insane,he soon woke me up from my jetlag.He went through so many red lights,dont think 1 vehicle passed us on our journey. A rough start but I had the best holiday in the states,absolutely awesome.

Old 11-14-2007, 02:42 AM

5,981 posts, read 18,271,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KIWI from downunder View Post
I arrived in L.A airport a couple years ago during holiday season.The crowds at the airport was the first shock people everywhere,bit of an eye opener from small country NZL. The driver of the minivan from Airport to Anaheim was insane,he soon woke me up from my jetlag.He went through so many red lights,dont think 1 vehicle passed us on our journey. A rough start but I had the best holiday in the states,absolutely awesome.

Ummm..kiwi, this is the Louisiana forum - LA is the abbreviation - completely different than the L.A. you visited...! Even in New Orleans the cab drivers can't be compared to California!

Old 11-14-2007, 05:48 AM

1,127 posts, read 5,009,746 times
How nice of you! Thanks, Averie-Jay!

Old 11-16-2007, 09:56 PM
Caa

940 posts, read 2,489,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura707 View Post
BOY! Katrina sure changed that! I would NOT drive in New Orleans, they drove crazy down there... (haven't been since Katrina) They are in Baton Rouge now and I am hating more and more having to drive there.
I have to disagree on this. Lots of New Olreans people have chosen to go elsewhere outside of Baton Rouge-although a lot of them are now in the Mandeville area I have heard. About a year ago, I found that most rude drivers were people from NO, how did I know? Their license plate frame was from a dealer in New Orleans. I now notice that once again, people are being more kind and courteous again. I think maybe because the NO people have gotten accustomed to "our" way of driving and are better and nicer hmmmm...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans