Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2013, 09:43 PM

246 posts, read 374,320 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Virgil Steiner View Post
What I noticed the few times I visited New Orleans is they don't have a much Southern accent. No offense, but the accent there sounded a lot like a New York accent.
Or perhaps it's the accent in New York that sounds like New Orleans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2013, 07:25 PM

1,901 posts, read 3,083,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Virgil Steiner View Post
What I noticed the few times I visited New Orleans is they don't have a much Southern accent. No offense, but the accent there sounded a lot like a New York accent. I for one was really surprised. Some of the people there talked with that New York accent so thick I could just barely understand them and I'm hard of hearing anyways. I had to ask a lot of people to repeat there selves. Most of the time though I just acted like I understood what they were saying and shook my head in acknowledgement and said uh-huh, uh-huh, as they talked. Must have been a lot of New Yorkers that settled in New Orleans. That's all I could surmise.

I was also surprised at how strong the coffee is down there. I always drink my coffee black, no cream or sugar as I read the morning newspaper, but the coffee there in New Orleans, I just couldn't drink it. I thought the coffee tasted like it came straight from the ground. Like what you might think roots would tastes like.I figured the Mississippi river might have something to do with that coffee being so strong. It was about as strong as Starbucks and I think Starbucks coffee tastes burnt. I honestly don't see how anybody can drink that stuff and actually enjoy it. If you have to add cream and suger, then it ain't coffee anymore. It becomes something else.
Yep. It becomes coffee with cream and sugar.

Old 08-16-2013, 09:45 AM

1,987 posts, read 2,107,839 times
If you have to add cream and suger, then it ain't coffee anymore. It becomes something else.Yep. It becomes coffee with cream and sugar.

I like a mug of coffee with a tablespoon of sweetened condensed milk. Milk and sugar make coffee less irritating to the stomach lining and it tastes good. Black coffee is good only if it's well-made, and America doesn't usually offer good black coffee. It's sludge, and it has that sludge reputation worldwide. Middle Eastern and European diplomats always complained about the coffee at the White House! Until we have really good black coffee everywhere in America, I'll take it with cream and sugar. Unless coffee IS first-rate everywhere in New Orleans? Is that what I'm missing here?

Old 08-16-2013, 11:44 AM

2,311 posts, read 4,944,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masonbauknight View Post
If you have to add cream and suger, then it ain't coffee anymore. It becomes something else.Yep. It becomes coffee with cream and sugar.

I like a mug of coffee with a tablespoon of sweetened condensed milk. Milk and sugar make coffee less irritating to the stomach lining and it tastes good. Black coffee is good only if it's well-made, and America doesn't usually offer good black coffee. It's sludge, and it has that sludge reputation worldwide. Middle Eastern and European diplomats always complained about the coffee at the White House! Until we have really good black coffee everywhere in America, I'll take it with cream and sugar. Unless coffee IS first-rate everywhere in New Orleans? Is that what I'm missing here?
As I said, New Orleans coffee is different. And I saw a study a few years ago that said we drink more coffee per capita than any other city, so yes, we locals like our coffee.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 4

Old 08-16-2013, 04:53 PM

1,837 posts, read 4,352,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neworleansisprettygood View Post
As I said, New Orleans coffee is different. And I saw a study a few years ago that said we drink more coffee per capita than any other city, so yes, we locals like our coffee.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 4
I just saw a study and New Orleans didn't make the top ten . Seattle and Portland were the leading per capita consumers . BTW , what is " New Orleans coffee " ?

Old 08-17-2013, 11:38 AM

1,380 posts, read 2,396,567 times
I'm from Memphis and went to school at Tulane. Among white people, the difference in accents in no big deal. City people from all over usually speak more similarly, whereas people in the country retain stronger speech patters. The black people in New Orleans, however, spoke very differently. New Orleans blacks were difficult for me to understand. I'm guessing there was some Caribbean influence way back in slavery days. That was the case in coastal Georgia and South Carolina where some local blacks speak Gullah, which is so different than English that it's usually considered a separate language. Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas grew up speaking Gullah and has mentioned that he almost never speaks from the bench because he is self conscious about his standard English. Lamguages are so interesting!
What I didn't expect about New Orleans was how family friendly Mardi Gras is. Uptown Mardi Gras is great family event with a carnival atmosphere. Wish we had it here in Memphis. We did, briefly, in the 19th century, but never in modern times.
Also, you can thank the tourism industry for a lot of people's misconceptions. They have to promote the different and wacky angle of a to get visitors. Just as people in NOLA don't generally hang out on Bourbon, people in Memphis aren't especially into Elvis. You do what you have to make a living.

Old 08-19-2013, 11:11 AM

246 posts, read 374,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhounit View Post
I just saw a study and New Orleans didn't make the top ten . Seattle and Portland were the leading per capita consumers . BTW , what is " New Orleans coffee " ?
I think this hard to find article answers your question:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/30936616-post60.html

Old 08-19-2013, 04:21 PM

1,837 posts, read 4,352,662 times
No , not really . Are you saying all " New Orleans coffee " has chicory in it ? Every brand , or is there an " official New Orleans coffee " ?
Obviously not I would assume .

Old 08-19-2013, 05:10 PM

1,901 posts, read 3,083,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhounit View Post
No , not really . Are you saying all " New Orleans coffee " has chicory in it ? Every brand , or is there an " official New Orleans coffee " ?
Obviously not I would assume .
*SIGH*...

Chicago style hotdogs have pickles, peppers, and tomatoes. Hawaiian style pizza usually has ham and pineapple slices...NEW ORLEANS STYLE COFFEE has chicory. Pretty simple stuff.

Old 08-19-2013, 05:16 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,802,767 times
and it's usually called "coffee with chicory."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans