Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2014, 01:21 AM

10,229 posts, read 16,297,759 times

Advertisements

That was done here in Portland several years ago and I still think it was a stupid way to go. They should have given restaurants the option to go either all smoking or non-smoking, thus eliminating sectioned areas to accommodate both. The bar I like to occasionally patron was your typically smoky atmosphere in an OLD building. After the ban they lost many customers, although I don't know where they went since you can't smoke in ANY bar here.

It's too extreme.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2014, 12:19 PM

20,726 posts, read 16,363,404 times
So you can still smoke in New Orleans bars and restaurants? ....or just bars? How about outside eating areas?

Old 11-30-2014, 10:46 PM

5,294 posts, read 10,206,460 times
I think it'd be great if this passed. New Orleans was one of the smokiest cities I've been to in the US--Las Vegas and San Francisco come pretty close, and a lot of people smoke here in Philly too.

I was in college there in NOLA last year and would hate going out for too long because so many people smoked.

Old 01-02-2015, 09:25 AM

7,293 posts, read 4,093,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii4evr View Post
I think it'd be great if this passed. New Orleans was one of the smokiest cities I've been to in the US--Las Vegas and San Francisco come pretty close, and a lot of people smoke here in Philly too.

I was in college there in NOLA last year and would hate going out for too long because so many people smoked.
Smoke-Free Venues in New Orleans, Louisiana | No Smoking Bars, Restaurants, Taverns | Healthier Air For All

Why do you want to force club owners to ban smoking? Can't you just chose a non-smoking bar?

Old 01-04-2015, 06:33 AM

415 posts, read 606,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AguaDulce View Post
Smoke-Free Venues in New Orleans, Louisiana | No Smoking Bars, Restaurants, Taverns | Healthier Air For All

Why do you want to force club owners to ban smoking? Can't you just chose a non-smoking bar?
Not directed at me but....It's the way of the future. Majority rules, majority of people don't smoke and don't want to smell it. It's like saying that there is a small room full of ten people and one has terrible gas. I guess all the people that don't have terrible gas should find another room when the one with gas could just step outside for a minute..... Smoking stinks to nonsmokers. They aren't banning smokers, they are just saying that they walk a few feet outside smoke and they can come back in. It's worked in tons of other cities, it would work in nola too. The problem that could arise is that some bars would need to set up better covered areas for smokers because no one should have to stand in the rain.

Old 01-04-2015, 07:19 AM

7,293 posts, read 4,093,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metairie View Post
Not directed at me but....It's the way of the future. Majority rules, majority of people don't smoke and don't want to smell it. It's like saying that there is a small room full of ten people and one has terrible gas. I guess all the people that don't have terrible gas should find another room when the one with gas could just step outside for a minute..... Smoking stinks to nonsmokers. They aren't banning smokers, they are just saying that they walk a few feet outside smoke and they can come back in. It's worked in tons of other cities, it would work in nola too. The problem that could arise is that some bars would need to set up better covered areas for smokers because no one should have to stand in the rain.
". . .The problem that could arise is that some bars would need to set up better covered areas for smokers because no one should have to stand in the rain. . ."

sure, if they CHOOSE to set up better covered areas for smokers.
it should be a choice.

just like some bars can CHOOSE not to set up better covered areas for smokers.

just like some bars should be able to CHOOSE to let people smoke inside -- and have a big sign on the front door "THIS IS A SMOKING VENUE. ENTER AT YOUR OWN RISK."

Majority rules? Ok! Let them choose to visit a NON-SMOKING bar.

Old 01-04-2015, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AguaDulce View Post
". . .The problem that could arise is that some bars would need to set up better covered areas for smokers because no one should have to stand in the rain. . ."

sure, if they CHOOSE to set up better covered areas for smokers.
it should be a choice.

just like some bars can CHOOSE not to set up better covered areas for smokers.

just like some bars should be able to CHOOSE to let people smoke inside -- and have a big sign on the front door "THIS IS A SMOKING VENUE. ENTER AT YOUR OWN RISK."

Majority rules? Ok! Let them choose to visit a NON-SMOKING bar.
Yeah sure. Same as a grown up choosing to smoke can walk their grown up self outside to do so. It's all about the choice right.

Old 01-08-2015, 02:29 PM

989 posts, read 2,498,208 times
The ban moved out of committee and will go for a full vote. It will likely pass with 1 or 2 in opposition.

To see the reason for the bans you only have to look back to the days of smoking and non-smoking sections: the smoking sections were always full of people in animated social interaction... talking, laughing and having fun; the non-smoking sections were lightly populated with bored, boring people looking around self-consciously and wondering how to have some fun... usually whining about those awful smokers.

It's simple: the boring ninnies have won.

Old 01-08-2015, 04:18 PM

860 posts, read 1,193,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATXIronHorse View Post
The ban moved out of committee and will go for a full vote. It will likely pass with 1 or 2 in opposition.

To see the reason for the bans you only have to look back to the days of smoking and non-smoking sections: the smoking sections were always full of people in animated social interaction... talking, laughing and having fun; the non-smoking sections were lightly populated with bored, boring people looking around self-consciously and wondering how to have some fun... usually whining about those awful smokers.

I don't know if I would go so far as saying nonsmokers are boring, but I do think the owner of the establishment should make the choice.

Old 01-08-2015, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATXIronHorse View Post

LOL, as I recall the yellow tooth losers were cursing with their unruly kids and puffing smoke in the people that care about themselves faces that were in nonsmoking. That was probably one of funniest posts I've read in a long time. Delusional.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans