Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2014, 09:18 PM

16,265 posts, read 43,067,414 times

Advertisements

Alligators in New Orleans? Haven't heard of it, but seems like you'd have 'em?

Did a search to read about the discussion. No threads with them in the title, unlike pretty much every forum in the Florida forums, and even the Houston forum, which is absolutely loaded with them.

Not much of an issue in New Orleans?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2014, 10:02 PM

30,552 posts, read 18,047,529 times
Apart from finding alligators in the Audobon Zoo in uptown New Orleans near Tulane University, the only place you're likely to find alligators in New Orleans proper is in the very far east (past where the major Vietnamese community is) where there is a state park that has them (I'm forgetting the name of this park, which may not even technically be in New Orleans though I believe it is.) Although, I'd imagine that you have the occasional alligator that makes it way into one of the canalways in New Orleans, but you certainly won't see them walking around town and do not hear about such stories in the news either.

Old 12-19-2014, 10:30 PM

16,265 posts, read 43,067,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
Apart from finding alligators in the Audobon Zoo in uptown New Orleans near Tulane University, the only place you're likely to find alligators in New Orleans proper is in the very far east (past where the major Vietnamese community is) where there is a state park that has them (I'm forgetting the name of this park, which may not even technically be in New Orleans though I believe it is.) Although, I'd imagine that you have the occasional alligator that makes it way into one of the canalways in New Orleans, but you certainly won't see them walking around town and do not hear about such stories in the news either.
What makes New Orleans so different from FloRIDA in that regard?

Old 12-19-2014, 10:41 PM

30,552 posts, read 18,047,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
What makes New Orleans so different from FloRIDA in that regard?
If I had to guess, I'd say that most of New Orleans swampland seems to have been filled and there don't seem to be as many pools, ground or otherwise, which you see in many parts of Florida and that attract alligators, in New Orleans (with fewer lakes and swamplands in New Orleans, alligators would literally bake to death during much of the year in New Orleans). But, then again, and maybe I'm wrong here, I didn't suspect that there are very many alligators roaming around Miami proper either. At the end of the day, Louisiana has twice as many alligators as Florida, but people seem to live in peace with them more in Louisiana than in Florida. I think this is because Louisiana has a smaller transplant population and, as such, most of the people living in gator country (which is pretty much all of the State minus New Orleans) have long learned to coexist with their reptilian neighbors.

Old 12-20-2014, 11:56 AM

136 posts, read 199,339 times
I would say probably because no one is looking for them! Bayou Segnette definitely has them, and I have seen kids catch some small ones in canals, etc. I would guess they stay in the areas outside of town like by the spillway and over on the West Bank. The greater New Orleans area has many low lying and swampy areas.

Old 12-20-2014, 01:02 PM

1,901 posts, read 3,072,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polarvortex1415 View Post
I would say probably because no one is looking for them! Bayou Segnette definitely has them, and I have seen kids catch some small ones in canals, etc. I would guess they stay in the areas outside of town like by the spillway and over on the West Bank. The greater New Orleans area has many low lying and swampy areas.
Bayou Segnette is down the street from my house in Westwego. There are a few small ones. I was right next to a baby gator a few months ago while fishing...I had no clue until I moved too close to the brush it was hiding in.

Bayou Sauvage in Venetian Isles also has alligators.

Old 12-20-2014, 02:16 PM

643 posts, read 973,738 times
I stay right next to a bayou and a levee in eastern new orleans, and I can vouch that there are large gators out here. Even had two in front of the house a few years back. Saw a few swimming in the waters during katrina while I was stuck on a roof by six flags theme park.

Old 12-22-2014, 09:56 AM

712 posts, read 1,087,838 times
My dad and coworkers would find and capture gators at the Air Products plant in Michoud. A few a year. They used to see them crawling around outside the perimeter of the plant too. He would take pics and show me when he got home. I think that's really the only area in NO that you'll find gators

Old 12-22-2014, 01:10 PM

643 posts, read 973,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoDatInMD View Post
My dad and coworkers would find and capture gators at the Air Products plant in Michoud. A few a year. They used to see them crawling around outside the perimeter of the plant too. He would take pics and show me when he got home. I think that's really the only area in NO that you'll find gators
Deeper in the east also like around Venetian Isles going down chefhwy/90.....bayou savauge is that way and they're in abundance there

Old 12-23-2014, 04:54 PM

136 posts, read 199,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sconley9922 View Post
I stay right next to a bayou and a levee in eastern new orleans, and I can vouch that there are large gators out here. Even had two in front of the house a few years back. Saw a few swimming in the waters during katrina while I was stuck on a roof by six flags theme park.
Nightmare....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans