Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2014, 04:14 PM

16 posts, read 19,799 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polarvortex1415 View Post
I'm going to throw out a wild card because its not in New Orleans: Old Metairie by Old Metairie Village. You could probably find a rental in Delimon Place (loads of docs there). Home | DeLimon Place (pronounced del-a-mon)

Lots of places for you to walk to and with coffee shops, etc. safe.

Maybe you could look into getting a Vespa when you move to New Orleans.
Hey Polarvortex! Thanks for the advice. I've been to Metairie for a hot minute, but will look into it more on our next visit. I'm thinking we'll want to be in the city, but won't rule anything out at this time. I LOVE the vespa idea. Do a lot of people in New Orleans drive (ride?) them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2014, 04:22 PM

136 posts, read 200,280 times
Old Metairie seeing real estate boom driven by medical professionals "old Metairie seeing real estate boom driven by medical professionals"

Old metairie has really terrific and underrated restaurants: sun ray grill, radostas (best roast beef Po boy), vega tapas, chateau du lac, Taj Mahal, Byblos, the galley seafood ...

That article makes it sound like old Metairie is "up and coming" but it's not. It's always been a great place to live and kind of on the high side of expenses, but neighborly and safe. The boom is happening everywhere, so you can kind of say New Orleans is up and coming with this new boom.

Last edited by Polarvortex1415; 12-23-2014 at 04:43 PM..

Old 12-23-2014, 04:25 PM

860 posts, read 1,193,698 times
Old Metairie is beautiful, and you could probably get more for your money there. For me, there is just something different about the vibe in the city. I'm not sure why. It's only 15 minutes away.

Old 12-23-2014, 04:31 PM

Old Metairie does have a different feel from the city because it is the suburbs; but, it is maybe 5 minutes from the Orleans parish line, so it's right there. The traffic on Metairie road can be a beast. Old metairie isn't the same as just Metairie. Old metairie is OLD.

Old metairie and that section of Metairie road is like it's own world. You could hang out there and not really have to drive anywhere else.

Property Capsule (old Metairie shopping village)

Old 12-23-2014, 04:34 PM

Oh, yes, Vespas are becoming very common.

Old 12-23-2014, 04:36 PM

This link has google street view so you can see Delimon and old Metairie village:

701 Metairie Road, Metairie, LA - Shopping Center for Lease - Stirling Properties Corporate

For staying in the city, I'm going to second the magazine street area.

Old 12-23-2014, 04:56 PM

16 posts, read 19,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polarvortex1415 View Post
This link has google street view so you can see Delimon and old Metairie village:

701 Metairie Road, Metairie, LA - Shopping Center for Lease - Stirling Properties Corporate

For staying in the city, I'm going to second the magazine street area.
This, and the article, is interesting. Thanks for posting, Polarvortex. While I certainly envision living in the city proper, it looks like there's loads to do in this area. Honestly, it one of the reasons we're leaving NYC. We can't afford to stay (and buy) in the city, and while most of our friends have moved to the suburbs of NJ, it's just not what we see for ourselves. We want to be in the middle of things, while still being able to live in a house. And yes, Magazine-area would be a dream if we could buy affordable housing at some point.

Old 12-23-2014, 05:26 PM

It's a wild card like I said. What made me think of it was that you specified safety (though they are having petty car break ins right now). Old Metairie isn't New Orleans, so it doesn't quite have that feel. It does have tons of history, and that section from old Metairie village to the train tracks-- there are lots of hidden gems there. Shops, spas, even an artist gallery somewhere up in there (appointment only I believe-- I dropped my cousin off one day)... I do suggest you drive up Metairie Road from the Cemeteries next time you are in town and pick one of the restaurants I mentioned and check it out for an hour or so. I think it will at least help you identity your parameters...

Last edited by Polarvortex1415; 12-23-2014 at 05:47 PM..

Old 12-23-2014, 05:31 PM

Excuse me for continuing to post, but I forgot this one: old Metairie/ Metairie road has the best St. Patrick's Day Parade. It is INSANE. You will catch cabbage, Irish spring soap, liquor, moon pies, vegetables, underwear, etc.

Old 12-23-2014, 05:32 PM

2,311 posts, read 4,945,820 times
Old Metairie is not for someone who doesn't want to be car-dependent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans