Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2015, 09:20 AM

1,291 posts, read 1,517,046 times

Advertisements

That's fantastic. I'm with Po-Boy saying that we owe a sincere thanks to those who serve in probably what's gotta be one of the hardest cities to police. We need more of em, that's for sure ....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2015, 07:15 PM

53 posts, read 76,234 times
You will also get an extra $6K yearly from the state one year after being hired. In your situation you will do fine. I bet you will love the city too. I actually came here as lateral hire from another large southern metro PD. NOPD has some problems, but its better than it was.

Old 02-09-2015, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nopdgator View Post
You will also get an extra $6K yearly from the state one year after being hired. In your situation you will do fine. I bet you will love the city too. I actually came here as lateral hire from another large southern metro PD. NOPD has some problems, but its better than it was.
That's good to know. Maybe morale isn't as bad as a lot of people say.

Old 02-11-2015, 11:12 AM

Not only coming from another agency, but due to my duties, I have worked closely with many officers from other agencies around the U.S. In my opinion, the morale here is pretty bad. I do feel it is slowly improving though. I tell people that are interested; Apply and give it a shot. If you don't like, you are already LA POST certified, and have some experience. Transfer out to another agency. You can even go out of state as a lateral hire if the agency your looking at offers such a program. Most do.

Old 02-11-2015, 06:21 PM

Improvement is good. I've wondered if the consent decree has done anything to bring needed things to make changes for the better. I know it would have to be bad for morale in some ways though. I've read the city is buying 100 more squad cars this year, that's a big capital investment. Even the city budget notes that crime is the #1 concern for the city, with 60% of the budget going to public safety. That's pretty high ... but everything I've read hasn't been a funding problem, it's been a logistical problem - cops washing cars and servicing them and a silly promotion system that leaves the streets with less cops.

Old 02-11-2015, 06:55 PM

Management problem.

Old 02-11-2015, 06:57 PM

61,289 posts, read 87,247,282 times
why would you work for a police department that in all probability will have to throw you under the bus when you try to enforce the law. civil rights might have got people to the drug store counter for a hamburger but it trashed law and order.
there is none in new orleans.
a former resident

Old 02-12-2015, 11:28 AM

All American policing is headed that way. Some agencies in it a lot worse than others. I wont be dealing with it much longer. I'm on the downslide.

Old 02-12-2015, 01:07 PM

1,901 posts, read 3,072,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nopdgator View Post
All American policing is headed that way. Some agencies in it a lot worse than others. I wont be dealing with it much longer. I'm on the downslide.
Retiring?

Old 02-12-2015, 04:02 PM

Yes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans