Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2015, 04:14 PM

12 posts, read 18,483 times

Advertisements

Have been to New Orleans several times... in 2009, 2011 and 2013. I really enjoyed it. As others have mentioned stay in the touristy area for sure. All 3 times I stayed at a Staybridge Suites in or near the French Quarter (I can't remember). I did venture off to other areas of the city during the day and never felt threatened or fearful. Walked around the French Quarter by myself a few times at night and felt fine as well. Just use your common sense. Was never approached by any homeless people though. have fun.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2015, 05:55 PM

860 posts, read 1,193,945 times
I feel like people put New Orleans on a list that it doesn't belong on. I think it's a great place to go on vacation for anyone. If you go to any city in America you have to watch out for crime. I've felt safer here than any city I've lived in. I guess that's just me.

Old 02-14-2015, 06:12 PM

1,291 posts, read 1,523,676 times
I'm just relaying my experience as a (rather small) female. Some places I feel like a vulnerable target. But I agree with NOPDGator a little bit too - it's pretty risky for any female to go anywhere by herself. Chances are she'll be safe, especially if she sticks to the 1/4 (keeping in mind the precautions) or around Audubon or City Park or the lake, but for the reasons I mentioned, I wouldn't recommend it by herself.

The city is so much more fun with someone anyways in my opinion

Old 02-14-2015, 06:22 PM

860 posts, read 1,193,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mwahfromtheheart View Post
I'm just relaying my experience as a (rather small) female. Some places I feel like a vulnerable target. But I agree with NOPDGator a little bit too - it's pretty risky for any female to go anywhere by herself. Chances are she'll be safe, especially if she sticks to the 1/4 (keeping in mind the precautions) or around Audubon or City Park or the lake, but for the reasons I mentioned, I wouldn't recommend it.
I certainly see your point, and I respect it. I'm 6'3 and I guess I'm last on the list for a target. I just don't understand why Nola is worse than Atlanta or Miami. People don't think twice about visiting those cities.

Old 02-14-2015, 08:02 PM

1,291 posts, read 1,523,676 times
NOLA does get a bad rap I think. It's a much cleaner city than I expected it to be and it's improving every year, despite the storm. Also, contrary to popular belief, most of the 10 million people that visit every year aren't impacted by crime. I'm willing to bet most people leave thinking it's safer (and just better in general) than they were led on to believe. I was very surprised with my first visit after Katrina in 2011. In fact I fell in love and found a way to move here the year after. I love it now more than when I moved, despite my nervousness of being alone in public here by myself

I've never really been to Atlanta or Miami (other than to drive through Atlanta). I can speculate that those cities have their visiting areas that are tucked far away from its crime. New Orleans is a very compact city compared to those places, and we do have high poverty areas right next to tourist areas (such as lake side of St. Claude from about St. Bernard to the IC). Criminals here don't have any problem going right to the quarter or the GD. Plus, homeless people all over the country know what the quarter is all about. Lastly, let's face it - people come to New Orleans to get sloppy drunk and act a fool. It's just a whole different animal that kind of comes with the territory I guess.

I've been to New York City, and quite frankly I'd plan a visit here before I'd plan a visit there, if I had to go alone.

Old 02-14-2015, 09:33 PM

1,901 posts, read 3,086,502 times
New Orleans is no different than any other urban city in this regard. Vagabonds, beggars, and the like seek out people who are most vulnerable. The mistake people make when visiting New Orleans is that they allow the care-free nature of the city to relax them far beyond the point of awareness.

Moral of the Story: Don't get so caught up in your thrill and libations that you forget your common sense.

To the OP: If you visit here (especially as a female), you'd need a contact here familiar with the area to steer you clear of unsavory sections of the city. New Orleans, unlike a lot of places, is a block-to-block city. Knowing where to be and where not to be within certain neighborhoods is vital. Do not visit here alone BLINDLY bouncing around the city

Old 02-14-2015, 11:28 PM

30,369 posts, read 19,162,886 times
My niece attended Tulane and then has stayed in Uptown since then. When she went there, she was single and is now married. Being from NO originally, I was concerned about her decision but she loves it there and has no desire to leave. She has not been victimized by any crimes in her 7 years there but there have been some incidents in the area she lives in. I would hesitate to advise a young woman to go there unaccompanied and not knowing the area. If you grew up there, it would be a different story. Having said the above, I love going back to the Big Easy, what a great fun city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans