Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2015, 12:51 PM

93 posts, read 101,229 times

Advertisements

Just returned from New Orleans and loved it there. And even considered possibly moving there

A few things i noticed that would be make me weary of moving there coming from Boston (in construction industry)

- Outside of the central business district I didn't see many office buildings, large apartment complexs'/condos or new construction. Which makes me think that there may not be a ton of work and people moving to the area.

- The largest buildings in the CBD (central bus district) are hotels..which is great because tourism is a huge form of income in the area...but where are people working?

- I'm not sure if the economy is stable..I just didn't see business suits and construction workers all over the town like I have in other cities.

I loved NOLA and love that they have preserved the french quarter (which is booming with tourism), but I am concerned about the non-tourism related businesses.

In Boston there are suburbs like brighton, cambridge, jamaica plain, etc that are outside the city...but still booming with life. In NOLA I didn't see the business hustle

Thank ya
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2015, 02:19 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,844,304 times
Check out Metairie, Covington, Kenner, etc - in other words, the greater metro area of Nawlins.

Tourism IS the biggest business in the area, but there are many other thriving sectors as well - aerospace manufacturing, the port/shipping/ship building, and oil and gas are very big there. There's also a pretty strong Navy presence. Lots of support businesses for those industries as well.

People love visiting NOLA in part BECAUSE the business hustle hasn't overtaken the downtown and historic areas. They want to keep it that way.

Old 04-29-2015, 03:06 PM

Had an amazing time in NOLA. The people, music, culture and food
I'd go again in a heartbeat.

Maybe move if they have a lot of steady construction work ahead.
We'll see.

Old 04-29-2015, 05:45 PM

1,105 posts, read 1,786,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern1141 View Post
Had an amazing time in NOLA. The people, music, culture and food
I'd go again in a heartbeat.

Maybe move if they have a lot of steady construction work ahead.
We'll see.
Sounds like you're still "high" from your trip. Go back during August before you commit. I loved visiting Nawlins when we lived down south but the thought of living there full-time would be dramatically different.

Old 04-29-2015, 06:16 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,844,304 times
I agree with Max.

Not that I don't love Nawlins, because I do. I LOVE it. But we had the choice to move there not long ago and after checking it out we decided against it (I am originally from Metairie by the way). We went down in the summer (we go often but usually avoid the summer) and then again in the fall - and it was STILL hot, crowded, steamy, congested...we decided we'd rather live elsewhere and continue loving Nawlins as a vacation spot.

And as a vacation spot, it's darn hard to beat. What a great city in so many ways. I could live there happily if that's the direction my life took, but I don't need to CHOOSE to live there when I have other options.

Old 04-29-2015, 06:49 PM

1,772 posts, read 3,516,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I agree with Max.

Not that I don't love Nawlins, because I do. I LOVE it. But we had the choice to move there not long ago and after checking it out we decided against it (I am originally from Metairie by the way). We went down in the summer (we go often but usually avoid the summer) and then again in the fall - and it was STILL hot, crowded, steamy, congested...we decided we'd rather live elsewhere and continue loving Nawlins as a vacation spot.

And as a vacation spot, it's darn hard to beat. What a great city in so many ways. I could live there happily if that's the direction my life took, but I don't need to CHOOSE to live there when I have other options.
I've never been to New Orleans, but I always thought that the whole Nawlins things was just an untrue stereotype, and that the locals pronounce the city New Orleans. I guess it's not after all . Learn something new everyday.

Old 04-29-2015, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post

People love visiting NOLA in part BECAUSE the business hustle hasn't overtaken the downtown and historic areas. They want to keep it that way.
Completely agree that the historic areas should stay. Thats the heart and soul of the city.
I just thought it was interesting to not see any construction going on outside of the historical district.

Are local people optimistic about the future of the city? Or still worried about future storms or natural disasters?

Look at other cities like Miami, NYC, Boston, Austin, Atlanta, Washington, etc...there are cranes and construction all over the place.

Old 04-29-2015, 08:11 PM

933 posts, read 1,477,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern1141 View Post
Just returned from New Orleans and loved it there. And even considered possibly moving there

A few things i noticed that would be make me weary of moving there coming from Boston (in construction industry)

- Outside of the central business district I didn't see many office buildings, large apartment complexs'/condos or new construction. Which makes me think that there may not be a ton of work and people moving to the area.

- The largest buildings in the CBD (central bus district) are hotels..which is great because tourism is a huge form of income in the area...but where are people working?

- I'm not sure if the economy is stable..I just didn't see business suits and construction workers all over the town like I have in other cities.

I loved NOLA and love that they have preserved the french quarter (which is booming with tourism), but I am concerned about the non-tourism related businesses.

In Boston there are suburbs like brighton, cambridge, jamaica plain, etc that are outside the city...but still booming with life. In NOLA I didn't see the business hustle

Thank ya
- Plenty of people work downtown or in the CBD, and if you didn't see that, you just weren't looking hard enough. There are also plenty of other places around the city where tons of people work.

- This city has TONS of construction going on right now. Honestly, you need to check your facts before you post something like this.

Come on...

Old 04-29-2015, 08:27 PM

1,105 posts, read 1,786,440 times
While we were in the French Quarter, my observation was that they were making money hand over fist. When we rode the bus to visit the museum, etc. my impression was that the city was alive and well, not to mention the colleges and pro football. I can see how you'd want to move there. When we drove to the zoo, all of the old historic looking homes were in great shape and the newish looking homes looked so homey with their deep set front yards; almost out of a movie. Simply beautiful.

Old 04-30-2015, 06:58 AM

1,097 posts, read 2,339,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn.Davenport View Post
I've never been to New Orleans, but I always thought that the whole Nawlins things was just an untrue stereotype, and that the locals pronounce the city New Orleans. I guess it's not after all . Learn something new everyday.
Nobody here ever says "Nawlins". Very much a stereotype.

-New Orl-ins
-New Or-le-ans
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans