Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-03-2015, 07:36 PM

1 posts, read 1,528 times

Advertisements

Hello,
My name is Amber and I am a college student that is currently doing research involving the issue in New Orleans in regards to the lack of access to nutritional food. This research will be presented at a conference in Boston. I understand that there is a huge dependence on various corner-stores amongst the city because of the lack of grocery stores in the city. If you are currently or have been a resident of New Orleans, some information about your own personal struggle or struggles that you have seen or heard around you regarding this issue would be extremely appreciated! Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2015, 07:53 PM

860 posts, read 1,185,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambermichelle View Post
Hello,
My name is Amber and I am a college student that is currently doing research involving the issue in New Orleans in regards to the lack of access to nutritional food. This research will be presented at a conference in Boston. I understand that there is a huge dependence on various corner-stores amongst the city because of the lack of grocery stores in the city. If you are currently or have been a resident of New Orleans, some information about your own personal struggle or struggles that you have seen or heard around you regarding this issue would be extremely appreciated! Thank you!
It's horrible. Potato chips and candy bars for every meal.

Old 05-04-2015, 08:16 PM

53 posts, read 76,091 times
That info is highly inaccurate. There is quite a lot of grocery type stores in New Orleans. Of course what your describing tends to be more dominant in the poor demographic areas. Just like any other large metropolitan city in the U.S.

Old 05-05-2015, 04:51 PM

194 posts, read 220,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambermichelle View Post
Hello,
Well Amber the St. Roch market was vandalized a week or so ago (search google). You see the people thought stupidly they would revitalize the area with a much needed meat/ seafood market (which it was back in the day) but instead it's an overpriced bourgeois spot that does NOT cater to the people of the community. Gentrification at it's finest b/c you know us New Orleanians are NOT okay paying $9.00 for a bottle of juice. Meanwhile this historic predominately black area (fast being taken over by yuppie transplants) STILL doesn't have a decent grocery store besides Save A Lot which sells old fruit and sub par meat. I know b/c I've shopped here a few times to my utmost frustration.

check out the yelp reviews sweetie on St. Roch Market.

Old 05-06-2015, 09:26 AM

1,097 posts, read 2,328,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali504 View Post
Well Amber the St. Roch market was vandalized a week or so ago (search google). You see the people thought stupidly they would revitalize the area with a much needed meat/ seafood market (which it was back in the day) but instead it's an overpriced bourgeois spot that does NOT cater to the people of the community. Gentrification at it's finest b/c you know us New Orleanians are NOT okay paying $9.00 for a bottle of juice. Meanwhile this historic predominately black area (fast being taken over by yuppie transplants) STILL doesn't have a decent grocery store besides Save A Lot which sells old fruit and sub par meat. I know b/c I've shopped here a few times to my utmost frustration.

check out the yelp reviews sweetie on St. Roch Market.
The people who vandalized the St. Roch market were a bunch of white kids that were more than likely not from the neighborhood. The people cleaning it up the next day were actual neighbors and vendors who live in the area.

You see, most of the vendors at the market ARE members of the surrounding community and employ members of the surrounding community. I guess they thought they could 'stupidly' set up their own business in their own neighborhood. Little did they know that some angry privileged transplanted hipsters would take exception to that.

"My great-great-grandparents shopped here," said Kevin Pedeaux, owner of Coast Roast, one of the market's vendors. "This is my neighborhood. And you are going to come from where the hell ever you're coming from, and you're going to come here and tell me that yuppie equals bad, or whatever? And you came from suburbia? Why don't you go paint that on your mom's house. My dad grew up on Mazant Street, my grandparents grew up on Louisa. This is my neighborhood."

See: http://www.wdsu.com/image/view/-/327...-34-AM-jpg.jpg

See: http://www.bestofneworleans.com/blog...rket-overnight

Old 05-06-2015, 04:36 PM

194 posts, read 220,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rburnett View Post
The people who vandalized the St. Roch market were a bunch of white kids that were more than likely not from the neighborhood. The people cleaning it up the next day were actual neighbors and vendors who live in the area.

You see, most of the vendors at the market ARE members of the surrounding community and employ members of the surrounding community. I guess they thought they could 'stupidly' set up their own business in their own neighborhood. Little did they know that some angry privileged transplanted hipsters would take exception to that.

"My great-great-grandparents shopped here," said Kevin Pedeaux, owner of Coast Roast, one of the market's vendors. "This is my neighborhood. And you are going to come from where the hell ever you're coming from, and you're going to come here and tell me that yuppie equals bad, or whatever? And you came from suburbia? Why don't you go paint that on your mom's house. My dad grew up on Mazant Street, my grandparents grew up on Louisa. This is my neighborhood."

See: http://www.wdsu.com/image/view/-/327...-34-AM-jpg.jpg

See: http://www.bestofneworleans.com/blog...rket-overnight
The vendors are bourgeois and are not a part of the community or servicing the community.

Old 05-06-2015, 04:49 PM

860 posts, read 1,185,298 times
Quote:
The vendors are bourgeois and are not a part of the community or servicing the community.
If that is true then who will shop there? Who are they servicing?

Old 05-06-2015, 07:37 PM

1,097 posts, read 2,328,148 times
Quote:
I'm sure they would take exception to that. Where are you from again?

The city is behind this. The neighborhood is behind this.

It seems the only people complaining about gentrification are the transplanted bourgeois who, ironically, tend to cause it in the first place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans