Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-09-2016, 03:17 AM

4,875 posts, read 10,036,710 times

Advertisements

Under Louisiana law all public school oversight will be unified under OPSB by July 1, 2018. This means RSD and other agencies will no longer have oversight over New Orleans public schools: NOLA Schools Unification ← opsb.us

What will this mean for New Orleans schools? Will it mean lower performing charters will go back under direct OPSB control? Will attendance boundaries come back? (Even if, say, the assigned school is still a charter)

What should/ought to happen next with public schools in New Orleans?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2016, 08:21 PM

One more thing:

Lusher Charter is apparently losing its attendance boundary in 2017. Without attendance boundaries people may be forced to go to schools far away, and this would tax the transportation infrastructure in New Orleans.

I think we all agree school choice is a good thing. We also need a "neighborhood school" for each area so people aren't forced to go far away for school. Even the Japanese and Chinese, which require people to apply for public high school after testing, have neighborhood elementary and middle schools (in Japan and China, mandatory education ends after the final year of junior high school, the 9th grade).

Old 12-11-2016, 05:54 PM

860 posts, read 1,187,241 times
I might be wrong, but I think Lusher was one of the only schools with a district. I'm not sure what the story is down here with the hit and miss schools. I managed to get my kids into a good school here, and I'm very thankful for that, because I know there are many that aren't that lucky. I'm very happy with my daughters education here, because the school she is in is better than any I've seen, but I know it's not a given for every family in the city.

Old 12-11-2016, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by norb123 View Post
I might be wrong, but I think Lusher was one of the only schools with a district. I'm not sure what the story is down here with the hit and miss schools. I managed to get my kids into a good school here, and I'm very thankful for that, because I know there are many that aren't that lucky. I'm very happy with my daughters education here, because the school she is in is better than any I've seen, but I know it's not a given for every family in the city.
Lusher's considered to be among the best in New Orleans, but it's very difficult to get into (especially if you don't live in the Lusher district, not a Tulane faculty, don't do so well on the school admission test).

Old 12-12-2016, 07:18 PM

860 posts, read 1,187,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicman View Post
Lusher's considered to be among the best in New Orleans, but it's very difficult to get into (especially if you don't live in the Lusher district, not a Tulane faculty, don't do so well on the school admission test).
I am aware. That is where my daughter goes to school. It's a great school, but even after going through it with 2 kids the admission process is still a mystery to me. The only thing I can confirm is, it's not who you know (at least in my case).

Old 12-12-2016, 10:18 PM

Turns out Lusher AFAIK was the only one with a guaranteed boundary (for kindergarten students) post 2005 Lusher loses attendance zone, cutting off some affluent kids | NOLA.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
View detailed profiles of: