Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2017, 09:58 PM

16,505 posts, read 26,174,242 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by waitingtundra View Post
It surely does, lol. At least it gets the drunk off the rode for a while. By the time the drunk can afford another car, it gives most sumthan to consider, also makes people thank 2ce about lending out a car, and drnks have a vary hard time renting a car. Drunk that hit me had 10+ DUI's w/no liscense, no insurance but car was still registered in his name, WTF. U must like the current system in new Orleans, that's horrible logic. just my 2 cents
Getting drunks off the road for a while is just as useless as getting criminals off the street for a while with no rehabilitation and a hotel of other criminals.

I don't like the current system of locking people up as if it fixes something when it obviously does not and the current societal acceptance of such and archaic and broken system.

I have had 2 friends die from drunk drivers, I'm not going easy on them, I'm trying to figure out a way to actually fix the issue and not shove it in a box under the bed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2017, 06:16 AM

806 posts, read 871,785 times
When people are getting convicted of third and fourth offense DWI's , they NEED to be off the streets NOW ! The POS that nearly killed my wife was convicted of 3rd offense DWI . The Prosecutor told us he actually had FIVE convictions but two of them were so old that they didn't count anymore . I don't give a damn how archaic and broken the system is , if he had been off the streets my wife would be better off today . The system is not going to get fixed anytime soon and these people should not be free to kill and maim others while we all wait for some socially correct solution .

Old 03-03-2017, 06:55 AM

1,097 posts, read 2,331,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Getting drunks off the road for a while is just as useless as getting criminals off the street for a while with no rehabilitation and a hotel of other criminals.

I don't like the current system of locking people up as if it fixes something when it obviously does not and the current societal acceptance of such and archaic and broken system.

I have had 2 friends die from drunk drivers, I'm not going easy on them, I'm trying to figure out a way to actually fix the issue and not shove it in a box under the bed.
I think you're comparing apples and oranges.

Long prison sentences for selling drugs, carrying a gun, or theft is not the same as being sent there for a violent offense (Murder, Rape, Kidnapping, etc.). These are crimes born out of poverty and should be corrected with other social methods rather than incarceration. I don’t know the exact numbers, but I would think non-violent offenders make up a significant portion of the prison population.

A significant threat to public safety needs to be removed from the public. That is exactly what bad driving(drunk or sober) is. Should Dylan Roof be set free because the system is archaic? This person willfully chose to risk other people's lives. Those 21 severely injured people could easily have been 21 dead people.

Nearly every other developed country has less traffic fatalities and a lower drunk driving rate than we do. Sweden and Scotland are notoriously strict and have cut their rate dramatically.

https://www.statista.com/chart/5504/...drunk-driving/
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...ted_death_rate

Old 03-03-2017, 05:37 PM

860 posts, read 1,187,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rburnett View Post

Long prison sentences for selling drugs, carrying a gun, or theft is not the same as being sent there for a violent offense (Murder, Rape, Kidnapping, etc.). These are crimes born out of poverty and should be corrected with other social methods rather than incarceration. I don’t know the exact numbers, but I would think non-violent offenders make up a significant portion of the prison population.

A significant threat to public safety needs to be removed from the public. That is exactly what bad driving(drunk or sober) is. Should Dylan Roof be set free because the system is archaic? This person willfully chose to risk other people's lives. Those 21 severely injured people could easily have been 21 dead people.

Nearly every other developed country has less traffic fatalities and a lower drunk driving rate than we do. Sweden and Scotland are notoriously strict and have cut their rate dramatically.

Some good points.

I have to be honest, and say when I was younger I drove drunk on a regular basis. I'm certainly not proud of it, and I cringe when I think about the damage I could have done now, but back then I never gave it a second thought. All of my friends did it, and I guess we just thought we were invincible. It was a regular thing.

I look at my daughter now and I am scared to death that when she gets older she will encounter guys that are like I was back then. Sometimes I wish I could go back and talk some sense into my younger self, and there are many things I would change if I had the knowledge then that I have now. I kind of feel bad for this guy. No one ever expects something like that to happen, but it does, and a lesson is learned the hard way. I feel worse for the people that were affected by his bad decisions.

Old 03-03-2017, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rburnett View Post

Drinking a driving is not a heinous crime like those you mention. Drunk drivers do not get in the car with the intention of hurting anyone.

I see DUI rates as a social/addiction issue and not a criminal one.

Crimes born out of poverty include murder and attempted murder as well as crimes born out of addiction like DUI and B&E or theft. Why wouldn't these be treated the same way?

Quote:
Originally Posted by norb123 View Post
Some good points.

I have to be honest, and say when I was younger I drove drunk on a regular basis. I'm certainly not proud of it, and I cringe when I think about the damage I could have done now, but back then I never gave it a second thought. All of my friends did it, and I guess we just thought we were invincible. It was a regular thing.

I look at my daughter now and I am scared to death that when she gets older she will encounter guys that are like I was back then. Sometimes I wish I could go back and talk some sense into my younger self, and there are many things I would change if I had the knowledge then that I have now. I kind of feel bad for this guy. No one ever expects something like that to happen, but it does, and a lesson is learned the hard way. I feel worse for the people that were affected by his bad decisions.
You're proving my point, people will always drive drunk out of necessity. And she will encounter people who drink and drive.
Criminalizing it will worsen the situation like it has literally everything else.

Old 03-04-2017, 01:58 AM

Quote:
Drinking a driving is not a heinous crime like those you mention. Drunk drivers do not get in the car with the intention of hurting anyone.

I see DUI rates as a social/addiction issue and not a criminal one.

Crimes born out of poverty include murder and attempted murder as well as crimes born out of addiction like DUI and B&E or theft. Why wouldn't these be treated the same way?

You're proving my point, people will always drive drunk out of necessity. And she will encounter people who drink and drive.
Criminalizing it will worsen the situation like it has literally everything else.
I didn't even do it out of necessity. I could have easily caught a cab or a bus. I just thought I was capable of doing it without hurting anyone, and luckily I never did. I think there are a lot of young people with that mindset. I got a DUI when I was in my early 20s and the cost and inconvenience is what made me stop doing it. About a year later one of my best friends died while driving drunk and paralyzed the passenger for life.

Last edited by norb123; 03-04-2017 at 02:12 AM..

Old 03-04-2017, 07:12 AM

806 posts, read 871,785 times
I literally just got off of the phone with my son . He's an Ascension Parish Deputy . This morning he arrested a young man for DWI . Driving the wrong way on Airline Hwy . He opened the car door and actually fell out into the roadway . The man was charged with first offense DWI because the other SEVEN are still pending in the Court system ! That's right , 8 arrests before the first is even settled . And he is in his twenties ! " Driving out of necessity ? Not hardly . Driving because he can .

Old 03-04-2017, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by norb123 View Post
I didn't even do it out of necessity. I could have easily caught a cab or a bus. I just thought I was capable of doing it without hurting anyone, and luckily I never did. I think there are a lot of young people with that mindset. I got a DUI when I was in my early 20s and the cost and inconvenience is what made me stop doing it. About a year later one of my best friends died while driving drunk and paralyzed the passenger for life.
Yeah there are alot of older people with that mindset too unfortunately. Yeah that is terrible to hear.
Quote:
Originally Posted by selogic View Post
I literally just got off of the phone with my son . He's an Ascension Parish Deputy . This morning he arrested a young man for DWI . Driving the wrong way on Airline Hwy . He opened the car door and actually fell out into the roadway . The man was charged with first offense DWI because the other SEVEN are still pending in the Court system ! That's right , 8 arrests before the first is even settled . And he is in his twenties ! " Driving out of necessity ? Not hardly . Driving because he can .
I'm willing to be he's an alcoholic who needs help.

Old 03-04-2017, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Yeah there are alot of older people with that mindset too unfortunately. Yeah that is terrible to hear.

I'm willing to be he's an alcoholic who needs help.
You're right, it's not just young people. I'm one of those people who learns from my mistakes. Sometimes it takes a few times, but I eventually learn. There are many people who never do.

Old 03-04-2017, 04:33 PM

77,975 posts, read 60,153,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aery11 View Post
My sister was killed by a drunk boater who had, a few days prior, gotten stopped for drunk driving (on the roads). Lawyers angled to get the 2nd case (that of my sister) to court before the 1st (the 'on land' one) and successfully got him off completely on both counts. That was many years ago but it still rankles me today - not just that the guy did it and got away with it all .. but that the legal system (judges/lawyers) would even allow that kind of shuffling, knowing what the result could be.

You bet I am mad as heck when I hear this kind of story. The guy who killed my sister was a 45 year old veterinarian (not just a young kid feeling his oats for the first time .. though that is no 'excuse' either). I would say that given the two events he had a real alcohol problem and people had probably been ignoring it for years.

As for the case in Louisiana - you have to be kidding .. a maximum of 5 years is all he may get for what he did? People in LA (and anywhere else this sort of thing is treated so casually) SHOULD be outraged.
Depending where it happened you also have to understand that the judge might have gotten a nice payment or did a favor for the guy. Not trying to stir anything up but there are parts of the country including places like Chicago where I used to live where judges do people *favors* in exchange for cash or other perks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans