Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2017, 03:34 PM

10 posts, read 7,995 times

Advertisements

I've made arrangements to look at several places next week and wanted the local's opinions on safety/livability, etc. for a 20-something female. What do you know, good or bad, about the following places?

(1) 925 Commons, 925 Common Street, in the CBD.
(2) 1722 Esplanade Avenue. I'm assuming this is Mid City but not sure.
(3) 248 Cherokee Street. This is in Black Pearl area.

Thanks for any and all help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2017, 04:27 PM

16,505 posts, read 26,132,176 times
The esplanade location is best for young people however is a gentrifying neighborhood (Treme). It's walking distance to the French Quarter, Marigny, and Bywater. It is the most beautiful street in the city as well. If she's into music and is generally considered a hipster or anything close then that would be the best neighborhood for her. Black Pearl will be the safest. But also the most boring, it's walking distance to Audubon Park and Tulane/Loyola as well as some retail along Maple St and Oak St. Despite the students, it feels like an area better suited for families and rich people.
The CBD is in the middle of it all. Everything is in walking distance as far as the hot neighborhoods. The Canal Street and Loyola/Rampart St streetcars are one block away and three blocks from the St Charles streetcar. There's a Rouses on Girls St and plenty of pretty much everything in the area (bars, lounges, clubs, hole in the wall and famous restaurants, overpriced craft beer, etc).

Seeing as I'm 25, I would want to live in the CBD or on Esplanade Ave. Black Pearl is nice but I personally wouldn't fit in over there.

Old 04-20-2017, 04:38 PM

LOL. Thanks. She's 27 and starting her intern year at Tulane Medical Center. She's probably going to be very busy, so not sure how much free time she's going to have!! Hopefully some.

Old 04-20-2017, 05:37 PM

860 posts, read 1,185,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
The esplanade location is best for young people however is a gentrifying neighborhood (Treme). It's walking distance to the French Quarter, Marigny, and Bywater. It is the most beautiful street in the city as well. If she's into music and is generally considered a hipster or anything close then that would be the best neighborhood for her. Black Pearl will be the safest. But also the most boring, it's walking distance to Audubon Park and Tulane/Loyola as well as some retail along Maple St and Oak St. Despite the students, it feels like an area better suited for families and rich people.
The CBD is in the middle of it all. Everything is in walking distance as far as the hot neighborhoods. The Canal Street and Loyola/Rampart St streetcars are one block away and three blocks from the St Charles streetcar. There's a Rouses on Girls St and plenty of pretty much everything in the area (bars, lounges, clubs, hole in the wall and famous restaurants, overpriced craft beer, etc).

Seeing as I'm 25, I would want to live in the CBD or on Esplanade Ave. Black Pearl is nice but I personally wouldn't fit in over there.
Annie, you ruined it, because that's mom asking. She's going to pick the safest and most boring place. I would disagree about the rich people and families though. I live on the other side of St Charles from the Black Pearl, but I am surrounded by young college students. Yes there are some rich and older folks there, but mostly Tulane students.
I see your point though, if you're going to experience New Orleans for a short time, do it right. The CBD and the quarter are definitely more exciting.

Last edited by norb123; 04-20-2017 at 05:52 PM..

Old 04-20-2017, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by norb123 View Post
Annie, you ruined it, because that's mom asking. She's going to pick the safest and most boring place. I would disagree about the rich people and families though. I live on the other side of St Charles from the Black Pearl, but I am surrounded by young college students. Yes there are some rich and older folks there, but mostly Tulane students.
I see your point though, if you're going to experience New Orleans for a short time, do it right. The CBD and the quarter are definitely more exciting.
LOL. So true. But she's 27 and will ultimately make the decision. I'm just doing some preliminary "legwork" before we go down there next week!!!

Old 04-20-2017, 06:04 PM

860 posts, read 1,185,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by socmom153 View Post
LOL. So true. But she's 27 and will ultimately make the decision. I'm just doing some preliminary "legwork" before we go down there next week!!!
I'm sure you're nervous, but it's a great city. I think you will both love it once you look around a little.

Old 04-20-2017, 06:14 PM

16,505 posts, read 26,132,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by norb123 View Post
Hey I'm sure Mom has had her fun!
Yeah I'm not too familiar with that area but I always got that vibe over the college vibe. I have been to JT's which reminded of bars in Tigerland.

Good luck mom.

Let me know if she needs a drinking buddy. Lol

Old 04-20-2017, 06:17 PM

LOL. Thanks. Yeah, and Mom had her fun back in her heyday. That's why a mom never quits worrying!!!

Old 04-21-2017, 07:22 AM

12,059 posts, read 13,803,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by socmom153 View Post
I've made arrangements to look at several places next week and wanted the local's opinions on safety/livability, etc. for a 20-something female. What do you know, good or bad, about the following places?

(1) 925 Commons, 925 Common Street, in the CBD.
(2) 1722 Esplanade Avenue. I'm assuming this is Mid City but not sure.
(3) 248 Cherokee Street. This is in Black Pearl area.

Thanks for any and all help.
For someone in their 20's the CBD is the place to be. If you want a real New Orleans flair, do the Esplanade Ave. If you like hanging out with college kids then Black Pearl is for you.

Old 04-25-2017, 04:58 PM

83 posts, read 76,562 times
I think Commons or Esplanade would be good. The Cherokee location will be near a lot of college students and college bars.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
View detailed profiles of: